Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
TravellingSoldier Offline
Woodpecker

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(02-10-2014 07:18 PM)Albertron Wrote:  
(02-10-2014 05:50 PM)TravellingSoldier Wrote:  So I've been with my company for around 2 months now doing electrical. But as time goes on, they're seeming increasingly disorganized and unreliable. I've now been off for 2 weeks since my last rotation and I'm still waiting for a call to go back to work. In addition, I haven't been indentured yet. I really don't want to look for another company but I came to make money, not sit on my ass 2 weeks out of every month. I currently have about 275 hours under my belt and just bought myself a $500 set of Klein electricians tools, so I'd be good to go with another company.

Just wondering if any of you have an opinion on this, or know of someone I could get in touch with for work? As a first year I know I don't have a lot of options but this is really discerning. If anyone can help PM me please, I've already started looking for companies hiring...

Work on my end has slowed down a bit too, so I'm not surprised they haven't called you for work yet.

Call them. Inquire about work that is available. See if you can work on other projects within the company. Show them you're eager to work. Bug them so they know you're serious.

Stick with them a little longer if you can. If you've gone through this thread then you should be aware that this industry always suffers from mild boom and bust periods. So hopefully you have a little savings during the down times to keep you afloat.

That being said, now that you have experience, don't be afraid to jump ship should you find a better opportunity. Update your resume and start heading out to head offices if you feel you can't wait too long/

Yeah I've already updated my resume, I'm thinking of getting another ticket or 2 as well, add to my employability a bit. I really don't want to jump ship because I don't need a car and they haven't indentured me yet. Kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place here but the owner said he would get back to me tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes.

Thanks man

(This post was last modified: 02-10-2014 07:40 PM by TravellingSoldier.)
02-10-2014 07:36 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - TravellingSoldier - 02-10-2014 07:36 PM