Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Jack Of All Trades Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
#1 can get you into a lot of trouble with unions and regulatory bodies easily, its actually better to start a legit shop and work your way up. For contracting you better have a good reputation as that's what get you work and it's expected you become a journeyman first to establish your street cred.

#2 is massively done with filipinos and TFW abuse.

#3 is possible but the situation's changed, I'll give you an example:
Industrial cleaning, originally there were ton's of little self-employed contractors that worked the market, making 300k+ a year driving their own trucks. Then after the gulf of mexico spill cleanharbors came in and started buying everybody up after they earned a few bil cleaning that job and monopolized the market with a few other guys like CEDA. Now I think they locked up most of the equipment in long term contracts so if you did start to do it you'd be scraping bottom of the barrel. If you want to do this it's still very possible but you'd need a reputation and a network of contacts who will give you work you can't just pitch people it takes time.

As for fixed buildings, real estate prices are insane 1/2 mil isn't gona cut it when a single family home in a place like ft mac starts at around 750k.

I'm not knocking on your ideas, they're good but if you do these go in with your eyes open and expect to take at least a number of years to get to know the industry and make connections ESPECIALLY if your not a local. Don't expect to come in wheeling and dealing.
02-11-2014 11:41 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 3 users Like Jack Of All Trades's post:
Irishi, komatiite, ASOT

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Jack Of All Trades - 02-11-2014 11:41 AM