Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Condog Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(02-12-2014 01:21 AM)jerassik Wrote:  Very nice post ASOT!!! Very helpful, insightful and full of knowledge. Hard to believe your only 20.
ASOT is not. I however definitely am.

(02-12-2014 01:21 AM)jerassik Wrote:  You should consider writing and make some side cash lol.

Appreciate the kudos. Have thought about it, yet when I prioritize recreational writing my university classes tend to be ostracized from my scope of effort.

(02-12-2014 01:21 AM)jerassik Wrote:  After reading this, i will definitely check out welding and see if its for me. Im from Calgary but living in Vancity right now. Im moving back on the 15th of March with a CDL that i just got here, hoping to land a vac truck gig or get on a frac crew. (whichever comes first). Ill be doing some networking and maybe find a trade that i can see myself doing for 5/7yrs, bank some cash and pursue other dreams.

Welding is definitely the way to go then. Because of the relatively prevalent amounts of zinc and aluminium in most of the carbon steel that's used (I won't even go into the health effects of welding galvanized or stainless steel), I definitely don't see why you would do it for 10+ years like some guys out there. If you do it for 5-7 years, you will definitely have added more than a million dollars to your net worth. You have to be good at what you do though; position welding pipe is no joke and it can potentially be very hard on your posterior chain, your knees and your respiratory system. Blow your nose after rolling 24-inch heavy wall and you can see what I mean.

(02-12-2014 12:30 PM)theking Wrote:  nice post man, being from ontario I actually find alberta girls to be really laid back and easy compared to back home haha. Im a welding apprentice as well, hoping to one day have my own rig.

Damn, I've heard Roosh's posts on Toronto but never knew it was that bad. I'll have to include it on my next trip to the East Coast to see what's into them over there.

(02-12-2014 12:30 PM)theking Wrote:  Fav bar on whyte is definitely the rack, pulled a couple girls from there over the summer but haven't been out much currently as its so damn cold. Obyrnes is a great spot for day 2s, sip on some beer and as I only live a couple minutes from it, head back after.

I think that's why there are so many girls hitched up to oil patch guys; the winters are long and they don't want to be going to bars in -15 Celsius looking for potential suitors when the sun has already set by the time they finish their psych classes. Why go out for steak when you got chicken ready at home?

Saying that, if you can find a sexy nurse or something working on her RN I would definitely try and lock her down for the season
02-12-2014 08:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Condog - 02-12-2014 08:03 PM