Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
alphaspiraton Offline
Woodpecker

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(02-12-2014 09:51 PM)TravellingSoldier Wrote:  
(02-12-2014 09:04 PM)alphaspiraton Wrote:  Anyone go to Alberta without any prior experience or any pre employment course and obtain a job in the trades? Scotian stressed about doing a pre employment course. But lets say if I just showed up in March with all the initial certificates and a driver's licence. Would I get a welding (or other trade) apprenticeship?

Assuming I have zero engineering experience and my degree was in commerce. I did a little bit of manufacturing in highschool and that's about it.

Thoughts?

I came out here without prior experience, a pre-employment or a car and had an apprenticeship within 13 days. It's definitely possible man, but you have to make sure you NETWORK! That's the most important thing. I knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy. If you don't know anyone, make friends. Go into the yellowpages and look for welders in your area, call every one and ask if they take start ups. Be persistent and call regularly, you will land something.

As for the hiring season in March, I'm not sure how it differs... Hopefully one of the other guys can answer that. Good luck Smile

Great thanks for the info. Hopefully Scotian can chime in here. I've narrowed down the skilled trades I would do to: Welding and Electrician. I'm just not sure if I should do a 12 week pre employment course first or hit the ground running in March.
02-12-2014 09:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - alphaspiraton - 02-12-2014 09:56 PM