Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
alphaspiraton Offline
Woodpecker

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
How do I find an employer to sponsor me before I even get there? I thought the whole point was to get to AB and hit the ground running with my CV/resume...

(02-13-2014 12:32 AM)Condog Wrote:  
(02-12-2014 09:04 PM)alphaspiraton Wrote:  Anyone go to Alberta without any prior experience or any pre employment course and obtain a job in the trades? Scotian stressed about doing a pre employment course. But lets say if I just showed up in March with all the initial certificates and a driver's licence. Would I get a welding (or other trade) apprenticeship?

Assuming I have zero engineering experience and my degree was in commerce. I did a little bit of manufacturing in highschool and that's about it.

Thoughts?

I recommend finding an employer that will sponsor you before you go apply for your apprenticeship. Regarding welding, search around in Nisku for welding fabrication shops. It's not hard to run a MIG torch, and therefore it's what many first year apprentices do. Otherwise you can network and look for a rig welder and try to get on as his helper, but that would be easier after you get indentured as an apprentice. Networking is very important though, everyone knows everyone among firms, and if you're good at your job others will recognize and it will be mentioned. Conversely, if you're shit, that will also be recognized and mentioned.

For a newcomer, stay in South Edmonton or Nisku if you can, then spend a day in Nisku with a few dozen resumes and hit any and every place that says they are hiring. Take what you can get, because once hired, there will be room for advancement and specialization regardless of your status as apprentice. So many people do this that most firms, regardless of size will train you and sign off on your papers, because it shows devotion to your occupation, and to your employer.
02-13-2014 10:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - alphaspiraton - 02-13-2014 10:52 AM