Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Zarathustra Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Finally, I can post.

First of all big thanks to Scotian, Irishman and others for starting this thread and mentoring new guys on this forum.

So just to show you a glimpse of the job market here in Alberta, I came across this forum and registered to ask tons of questions but it took me a couple of weeks to get approved. Meanwhile I applied for a job based on the discussion on this thread, got the job, already completed 2 day orientation and now I am heading to a rig on Saturday.

To tell you a bit about me, I am from Calgary, AB. I had a cushy job in Calgary and a Bachelors in Business. I got sick and tired of staring at a computer screen all day decided to switch career. Since O&G is big in Alberta so it was only logical to choose this as a career. I was doing my research and came across this forum, I am glad I did!

I made a fictitious resume with tons of labour experience and didn't mention my professional qualification. I received all the necessary training, H2S and First Aid. There are many places in Calgary that offer these courses on the weekend so your normal workday is not disturbed.

I got the job on service rig, according to my research, drilling side of things is slow but service rigs are as busy as ever. Last year some companies had a break up which only lasted one week, that's it!

Only big advice to those looking for opportunities is do your research, there is tons of advice on this forum. Always look for areas with tons of activity, if you can, go to remote areas which most guys avoid, you will have no problem getting hired.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2014 09:18 PM by Zarathustra.)
02-13-2014 09:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zarathustra's post:
Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Zarathustra - 02-13-2014 09:17 PM