Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Temm Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(02-10-2014 10:45 PM)jerassik Wrote:  Big ups to Scotian, Irishman and Albertron (im a former bboy as well lol). This thread has been a big inspiration for me. I wish i did the patch thing 12 years ago when an ex co-worker of mine asked if i wanted to join him as a general labourer. Im kicking myself big time. I was born and raised in cowtown but currently residing in beautiful vancity.

My current plan is to move back to Calgary March 15th as i just got my class 1. I originally wanted to head to fortmac as a general labourer and network with whoever i can and see what trades i maybe interested in. I changed my mind and decided to get a class 1 that way i can at least have sort of skill down there. I dont intend to drive a semi but instead im interested in vac truck or fracking. Then ill network from there. My main interest is pipefitting, but definitely open to other things as instrumentation.

I have absolutely no experience in the trades sector as ive worked as a delivery driver for the last 10 years. Hence the class 1 as driving is in my confort zone. Anyways, can any of you guys fill me in on your thoughts of fracking or vac truck operator. Maybe some of you guys can give me more ideas that i havent thought of that i can use my license for. Ive seen ceda, clean habors and Halliburton job ads looking for guys with little to no experience for frac work. Any comments would be awesome. Im looking forward to moving back to AB as BC is garbage right now for regular jobs and it is extremely expensive to live out here.

Once Im back in Calgary, i have a cousin that owns a multiplex that will charge me minimal rent and i am willing to help anyone out on here thats making the move to AB and needs a place to stay.

You have a class 1? Man, look up Big Eagle and Orion. I was talking to a driver from another company last month and he was saying if you can back one of those trucks, you will be laughing--he makes 42 buck an hour with overtime after 8. You shouldn't have any trouble at all finding work out west with a class 1. Couple that with some experience and you will be LAUGHING!

I know for a fact that Big Eagle is looking for drivers, specifically in Swift Current, Saskatchewan and more than likely Alberta. One vac driver I know just sat in his truck playing video games all night lol. If you want to go fraccing, you can start in Red Deer and hit up Canyon (saw a hiring sign this week btw), Trican, Baker Hughes, Sanjel, and STEP--from what I hear, STEP is hiring a lot of guys. I've been in one of their coil units and it's pretty nice. Hope this helps. Also, just go to kijjiji and search "driver" jobs in Alberta!
02-14-2014 11:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Temm - 02-14-2014 11:58 PM