Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
alphaspiraton Offline
Woodpecker

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Well gents, I have taken the plunge. After 3 weeks of thoughtful consideration and planning I am driving to Edmonton tomorrow. I will be trying to obtain employment as an electrician starter or an apprentice helper, and then hopefully I can secure an apprenticeship.

The trip is roughly 40 hours by car. I have decided to spread this across 5 days. So I will leave Monday and be there for Friday. I have enough savings to last me for 1 solid month (and rent for the 2nd). And then I'll be in trouble after that.

Coincidently my friend is going there now so I plan to arrive at his family's house Friday and look for a new place over the weekend where I can rent most likely in a family house. That will be about $450-700.

Adios my Toronto brethren, I will not miss thee. If you want a change from the drama and torture that is known as Toronto then you know where you should be heading. The office environment is toxic to my health. Maybe I will revisit in my 30s or 40s.

Thank you to Scotian, VP, Irishman, TS, etc, and countless others who have provided a wealth of knowledge.

If all fails, I will come back to this shitty city, borrow some cash, do a pre employment course, and then head right back West! I am in it for the long haul.

I will keep you guys updated on my progress.
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2014 01:15 PM by alphaspiraton.)
02-23-2014 01:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 7 users Like alphaspiraton's post:
Zeus, Atlantic, Zauber, Vacancier Permanent, energyy, Seanchaí, rdvirus

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - alphaspiraton - 02-23-2014 01:13 PM