Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Zauber Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Hey everyone. Another Torontonian here looking for a better life out west. I want to thank Scotian, Atlantic and all the others posters who have made the move and were nice enough to give us advice. This thread has really given me hope that I may some day achieve 6 figures in 6 months!!

I've read the entire thread and made notes. Currently saving up and waiting to see if the Toronto based company I'm currently talking to will sponsor me for a plumbing apprenticeship. If not then it looks like I might be saying good bye to Ontario, friends, family.

Scotian I'm hoping you could answer a few of my questions. How common are multi-ticketed tradesmen and how difficult is it to get multiple tickets? I'm asking because I've heard a plumber can challenge the steamfitter ticket and then do steamfitting work. How does this work if the plumber hasn't done the schooling for steamfitting? Will that plumber be employed as a steamfitter and maybe also a welder later on?

I'm asking because I'm not sure which career path I should follow. Which path do you think would make the most money in their career? I'd like to be able to save a large portion of my income for retirement and have it grow via compound interest. Which career path would you consider to be smarter?

Option 1. 4 yr apprenticeship for Journeyman plumber, then challenge the steamfitter exam (another possible 3 yr apprenticeship here to get experience??) then get my welding tickets (should be easy after steamfitting experience). This way I can work shutdowns/out of town as a steamfitter/welder (and make bank) and when I get older work in town as a plumber.
Option 2. 3 yr apprenticeship for Journeyman steamfitter and then get my welding tickets after.

I'm asking because I'd really like to make as much money as fast as possible and it seems like Steamfitting would be the route to go, but I'm worried how cyclical the oil industry is and being able to do plumbing during down times sounds like a good alternative (stability).

I'm also thinking electrician but that's impossible to get into here in Toronto so I put that idea on the back burner for now. Does electrician have as much diversity as plumbing?
(This post was last modified: 02-23-2014 08:52 PM by Zauber.)
02-23-2014 08:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zauber's post:
Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Zauber - 02-23-2014 08:08 PM