Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
killongy Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(02-22-2014 09:31 PM)Atlantic Wrote:  
(02-22-2014 07:04 PM)killongy Wrote:  I am interested in hearing your reason for making the switch since mwding is what i am going after it might help me adjust my plan since welding is another interest of mine.

First off MWDing is a great job. I haven't misrepresented it. If you want great cash off the bat its one of the best gigs possible. In fact its known as the comfiest gig in the patch.
At the moment I am making close to $600 a day for very little work. Which is one of the reason I want to switch.
The reasons I list are MY reasons for wanting to switch. Anyone working towards or already an MWD should make up their own mind as to what they seek in a job and what their long term plan is.

In no particular order:

I don't have a natural aptitude for the rigs.

I can force it and try my best but my mind is not naturally drawn towards drilling. I tend to zone out, not pay attention and sometimes just don't care when I have a chance to be learning something new.

I have been able to pick up a lot of information and do my job satisfactory but working a job I do not enjoy is starting to wear me down. What I have been enjoying is the easy cash and lots of downtime. After a while though money doesn't fill the void.

My mind doesn't want to learn drilling and is telling me to switch to something it is drawn towards.

This post over at danger and play about Arnold Schwarzenegger really hit home:

Quote:When I was ten years old I got this thing that I wanted to be the best in something, so I started swimming. I won championships, but I felt I couldn’t be the best. I tried skiing, but there I felt I didn’t have potential. I played soccer, but I didn’t like that to well because there I didn’t get the credit alone if I did something special. I just avoided team sports from then on. Then I started lifting through the other sports and I enjoyed it the most. I won the Austrian championship in 1964 but found out I was too tall. So I quit that and went into body building. Two years later I found out that that’s it-that’s what I can be the best in.

Maybe welding will be more satisfying, maybe not. But I know its not drilling. SO I need to start looking for a switch.

I am my own man and I like being in charge of my own business

When in University I was in a leadership role in most of the clubs and societies I joined. When I worked during the summers I was in charge of the sea sports centre I worked at. When I worked in the café last summer I quickly become the general manager.

I work and feel a lot better when I have a direct say in how I do things. I like having ownership over my work and calling the shots. Being an MWD does not give me this satisfaction.

To use welding as a comparison I would much rather have to work my ass off outside in the freezing cold but claim ownership over my work and be in charge of my own hours.
I want a job where I make my own standard and produce my own results independent of other people. Its just the way I am wired.

I want a transferable, practical and expandable skill

MWDing is very easy and is basically babysitting a computer system. Although it can lead on to directional drilling it is, in of itself, kind of a useless skill. Once you know what you are doing (about 2 years in) it never changes. Their is no mastery and no real job satisfaction.

I would rather work with my hands and learn a skill. I come from an artistic family so I need to work with something I can feel, design and create.

I also like areas where you can expand once you have mastery. Again using welding - once you know what you are doing you could hire on some guys, buy some trucks, start your own shop and create your own little empire. I would enjoy the challenge of watching the fruits of my labour grow into something. A kind of legacy as such. This is not possible within MWDing.

I want freedom

The freedom to accept or reject work. The freedom to work as hard or as easy as I want. The freedom to expand or downsize. The freedom to travel and use my skills elsewhere.

Although these examples exist in varying amounts in the drilling sector they are not at the level that I would prefer.

I would like to have a skill that I am free to use anywhere and free to evolve. In welding I would be free to change fields: underwater welding, skyscrapers, my own projects (house construction etc.), cars etc.

I can't go 'all in'

Again from Mikes post at dangerandplay:

Quote:4. Go all in.

The difference between those who adapted and those who didn’t, Gorton said, was a willingness to totally commit….If you want to turn a vision into reality, you have to give 100% and never stop believing in your dream.

So you’ve quit everything that you sucked at to find your true life purpose? Now go all in. Don’t be a beta boy living aimlessly and without purpose and direction. (The saddest secret is that many of us are doing just that.)

Commit yourself fully to your cause, raise your standards, and do whatever it takes to succeed.

I was guilty of not following this rule. Victor reached out to me to say:

You need to be a man. Either go all in with your blog and make it work, or shut the thing down. You’re embarrassing yourself and being a hypocrite by having a half-ass blog. Fix your design, make these tweaks, and start writing again or else go home to mommy for milk and cookies.

Well, that’s not quite what he said, but if he had said that, he would have been right.

Either do something or don’t do something. Be committed and go all in or stay home watching TV and playing on the Internet like a little boy.

There is a lot more that I would like to say but I don't have the writing skills to express it fully. Its a core gut feeling that I am in the wrong area.

From what I have seen I think welding will be the best switch for me right now. It is a big pay decrease but it isn't about the money for me anymore (although down the road welding does pay a lot).

I have kind of come to except that even though I have a degree and could easily get a desk job I would much rather work with my hands and body. I want to experience life firsthand and not behind some computer looking out a window.

It won't be easy to leave behind something that I worked so hard for but I guess that's life. Knowing when to quit and start again.

I hope my post doesn't discourage those who have worked hard towards being an MWD. I have been quite prolific on this thread about all the great perks of the job. They are still valid. This is unique to me and for those who are working towards or already on the rigs you will have to weigh up your own values and goals.

iatlantic one of my biggest fears with MWDing is the option of not being able to transfer a teachable skill back to my country and you made the point very clear.

However I could transfer to trinidad and tobago thats basically in the caribbean not far from jamaica but that is complicated and for the electrician trade I like the theory but I am not sure of how the work is but my best bet is mwding or welding.

I am really going to look at welding because all the signs are there.....
I rather the material science classes , industrial design and processes and quality control. I heavily researched welding but was scared by persons talking about welder lung/arc flashetc....but its time to man up and give my all for something I am interested in and if I end up not liking welding then there must be some trade out there that will match up with me.

As for the whole being your own boss thing I hate people telling me what to do in a sense of having a boss breathing down my neck.

IDK if you have ever had the feeling of standing still while life passess you by thats the feeling im going through atm...I wasted 4 yrs acting like a boy its time to go be a man up , make the move and star making some good money and building the lifestyle i want to live.
(This post was last modified: 02-24-2014 12:15 AM by killongy.)
02-24-2014 12:12 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - killongy - 02-24-2014 12:12 AM