Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
alphaspiraton Offline
Woodpecker

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(02-25-2014 07:16 AM)TravellingSoldier Wrote:  
(02-23-2014 01:13 PM)alphaspiraton Wrote:  Well gents, I have taken the plunge. After 3 weeks of thoughtful consideration and planning I am driving to Edmonton tomorrow. I will be trying to obtain employment as an electrician starter or an apprentice helper, and then hopefully I can secure an apprenticeship.

The trip is roughly 40 hours by car. I have decided to spread this across 5 days. So I will leave Monday and be there for Friday. I have enough savings to last me for 1 solid month (and rent for the 2nd). And then I'll be in trouble after that.

Coincidently my friend is going there now so I plan to arrive at his family's house Friday and look for a new place over the weekend where I can rent most likely in a family house. That will be about $450-700.

Adios my Toronto brethren, I will not miss thee. If you want a change from the drama and torture that is known as Toronto then you know where you should be heading. The office environment is toxic to my health. Maybe I will revisit in my 30s or 40s.

Thank you to Scotian, VP, Irishman, TS, etc, and countless others who have provided a wealth of knowledge.

If all fails, I will come back to this shitty city, borrow some cash, do a pre employment course, and then head right back West! I am in it for the long haul.

I will keep you guys updated on my progress.

I would say good luck, but with hard work you don't need any haha. You'll do well man don't worry just be persistent and network like you've never had a friend.

I'm heading to Mexico in an hour but I'll be back on the 6th we should get a beer on whyte! Also if you're looking for a place I know this dope party house, big rooms low rent about to open up a couple rooms. Thinking 425 with utilities. Anyways man enjoy the nice weather it's been pretty mild lately!

Thanks for the info dude! I have reached Thunder Bay and will be reaching Edmonton on Friday if all goes well and my car keeps holding up. We should definitely meet up when you get back.

Also - any other previous posters who have contributed to this thread and are in Edmonton (Scotian, etc) next month, a nice cold one is on me!
02-25-2014 08:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - alphaspiraton - 02-25-2014 08:19 PM