Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Zarathustra Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Just an update on my first shift rotation on a service rig.

Man oh man, the most f#&ed up past few days of my life. 12 hour shifts and than binge drinking with a crazy crew and showing up to work with 4 hours of sleep the next day. I've turned into a zombie.

I am on a service rig and on the 4th day I was up on the floor working on the elevators. This work is not for faint hearted and hot heads who like to "keep it real". I have made some good friends, some hardened veterans who can work 12 hours, drink like fish after work and go back to work with 2 hours of sleep and work like a horse again. I have learned a lot about oil and gas and I am taking my days off to do more research on this topic. I am not sure how long I will be able to do this, service rig rig in/out almost every 2 days, it's a very high paced environment when compared to drilling rigs. I am trying to hold off on this until drilling break up is over and than move to drilling rigs.

My roommate works for Trinidad Drilling and his break up starts march 15th, not sure how long it will last, sounds a bit too good to be true, any opinions?

Any of you guys ever worked on a rod rig (flushby rig)? It has a 2 man crew with operator and assistant which seems easier and the money is same. Also, is anyone a field mechanic or apprentice for oil field services? I have some offers of apprenticeships for field mechanic and apparently I would be running my own half ton truck within a year with a positive attitude and strong work ethic.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2014 10:18 PM by Zarathustra.)
02-28-2014 09:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zarathustra's post:
Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Zarathustra - 02-28-2014 09:35 PM