Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Laurifer Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Well my fly in/fly out gig didn't happen. Said they contacted me accidentally about it, wtf Trinidad. So instead I was given 4 hours notice to be in a "Texas Camp" (bring my own food and bedding) outside of Edson (2 1/2 hours from me) for an overnight stay.

So I rush home grab a sleeping bag, drive to my brother's work to borrow his truck, grab two microwave mac'n'cheese's and kolbasa sausage from the local grocery and hit the road. Worked three hours when I got there and a full 12 today, now I'm home. I'm getting a full 2 days pay though Big Grin

It was a good introduction to the work and lifestyle, but I definitely would prefer a staffed camp next round, or at least more notice for Texas Camp. The guys I worked with seem to like Texas Camp since you get the daily $140 on top of your hourly pay.

The derrickhand is out there till the end of March if I heard him correctly, and had been there probably since February at least. Now that would be an impressive pay check.
(This post was last modified: 03-01-2014 03:09 AM by Laurifer.)
03-01-2014 03:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Laurifer's post:
Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Laurifer - 03-01-2014 03:09 AM