Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Tresdus Offline
Woodpecker

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Alright, it's been 4 weeks since I got here. Got the job I wanted yesterday, anyone saying the oilsands are slowing down doesn't know what they are talking about. Just driving around there are tons of HIRING signs. But you have to get out here.

Here's what I did.

I came from Germany, so I had to apply for my visa which I got mid January. After that I quickly booked my flight and 2 weeks later I landed at 2pm in Edmonton. I stayed in the HI Hostel for 5 days. The same day I landed I found a room, about 3 hours later but I couldn't move in so I stayed in the hostel for the rest of the time I had it booked for. That evening I also met with 2 guys from the forum and had a few drinks with them.

Next day I went and got my SIN number, then I went and got my SIM card (don't get a contract if you are not Canadian, I had my account suspended a week later so I had to go in and cancel everything and get a new number which really sucked) and then I made an appointment for my bank account which was the next day.

I also bought some boots and various random stuff during that week. Everything is explained what you need in the thread and yes Marks in the place to go to.

The second week I took a one week course related to the job I'm doing which went from 8-5 every day. The instructor was really great and the stories you will hear when you work with people that have been in the industry for a long time are unbelievable.

On the weekend I took First Aid and then H2S on the following Monday. I also took CSTS, which you can do online. It's an 8 hour course and it's pretty boring so you just have to sit through it.

On Tuesday I got sick and took a rest day, the first one since I came here, I was doing things every single day since I arrived. I felt quite a bit better on Wednesday so I went out and started going around offices applying for jobs. I walked around 12km that day because the Bus system really sucks (Get the monthly pass, it's 89$). Get a car if you have the money. I talked to about 12 companies and got a few positive responses. Most said with experience (1year) they'd hire me immediately.

After 3 weeks I also signed up for a gym, which I should have done way sooner, but I wasn't sure which one to pick. I might also start a part time job at that gym so if anyone needs a good one PM me. There's quite a few girls around, online game works really well.

This week I went with another forum member to a different company and they interviewed me on the spot. It is not a 6 figure job, but it is a job where I can definitely get my PR next March. A day later I got hired and I have my first work day on monday. I also bought a really shitty car for 700$.

Thanks a lot to scotian, Atlantic and everyone else for the great information in this thread.

TL;DR Read the thread. Everything has been said a hundred times.
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2014 06:01 PM by Tresdus.)
03-07-2014 06:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 12 users Like Tresdus's post:
Atlantic, Jack Of All Trades, Vacancier Permanent, komatiite, Temm, Kane, scotian, buko, Zeus, Moneypitlover, Seanchaí, rdvirus

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Tresdus - 03-07-2014 06:00 PM