Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Longdongmcgong Offline
Pigeon
Silver Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Hey Guys!!!

This thread has given me a 6 foot boner with a cheeseburger on the end! HaHAAA!!! Only slept 3 hours, couldn't sleep I had money and girls on the brain haha!

Thank you for sharing this info guys! I just bought a membership just so I could post here. I wasn't surprised to see people who were interested in heading up to the oil sands though when I read what this forum is about. A couple years I was talking with a good friend of mine about getting into the up and coming natural gas/fracking industry and how much money you could make. Then I got into a conversation with a skydiving buddy of mine a few weeks ago who works in Fort Mac who's clearing $3000-$3500 per week! It's been in my brain nonstop. Shall I say my interest was picqued!?!?!!!!

My situation.

I work in aerospace and make pretty decent coin. Right now I'm a systems tech at a large aerospace company. We do everything from hydraulics to avionics, a lot of troubleshooting and elecrical. Been at it two years and it's getting a little boring. I have a tendency to work OT like a maniac. I make $22/hr and in 4 years I will jump up to $40/hr. Without OT though I'm lucky to clear $1100 every two weeks, if I work both weekends it goes up to around $2000. It's a good job, I can't complain overall. You get about 2-3 weeks off per year depending on how much OT you work. Not bad but not good enough either. I'll never be able to do some of the things I want to before I die if I stay here. I want to have the ability to make money in something I'm good at and still be able to take time off and still have the skills to come back to the industry easily after a few months of vacation.

Previous jobs:

logging
HVAC(building ductwork for cleanrooms)
Electrical(low voltage and data cabling)
U.S. Navy Electronics Technician(on a ship)
loading cars and machinery into shipping containers
Worked in a bar

What I'd like to get into up there is the electrical trade. I have a lot of work experience but nothing that really qualifies me to work up there.

My question is what type of jobs should I target? I would really like to get some kind of technician job or maybe an electrician apprenticeship. That's more of what I know but I wouldn't mind doing some kind of rough jobs like working on a drill rig or something for a season until I find something more suited to me. Am I missing something? Probably a lot haha!!!
03-12-2014 09:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Longdongmcgong's post:
Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Longdongmcgong - 03-12-2014 09:52 AM