Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Tresdus Offline
Woodpecker

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
- no women for hundreds of miles for weeks at a time, it's basically like jail
True, but the most you work is 24 days and working 12 hour days you wouldn't have time for them anyway.
- it's very cold
You get used to it.
- not much to do in your off time except hit the internet, read, and fuck around with a bunch of dudes
Again you're working 12 hour days, unless you are sleeping 4 hours a day which is unhealthy you don't need much to do. Hit the gym and it's time to go to bed.
- sleeping and living quarters are very cramped
Who cares. I pay 600$/month for a 10sqm room. And all you do in your room is sleep anyway.
- if you get caught using drugs, you're kicked out (zero tolerance policy)
Don't do drugs then.
- speaking of drugs, this type of work has led both of my friends to heavily rely on alcohol and cocaine, which is a double whammy because they get tested for drugs every time they go back to work so if they test positive, they can't work (apparently, they have worked out ways to successfully cleanse their systems before getting drug tested)
Weak minds. Plain and simple.
- the work is highly regulated, but it's still physical labor so it's very exhausting and taxes your body
True, but there's ways to keep your body healthy.
- the three buffet meals a day make you gain a lot of weight unless you're really careful, problem is there's not much to do but eat plus the heavy work makes you hungry
Again, weak minds. No one forces you to eat. All you have to do is not put food in your mouth.
- my one friend works in Alberta a lot, but he seems to be losing his mind; my other friend is getting out of it - the other week he just completed his testing for his real estate license. His willingness to go from making so much money to so little I think speaks volumes to the difficult nature of this work
The work just isn't made for some people. I love working here, I like my job, been the best decision of my life.
05-04-2014 11:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like Tresdus's post:
Vacancier Permanent, Nima, Laurifer, Master Of My Own Kingdom

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Tresdus - 05-04-2014 11:41 PM