Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
SU27 Offline
Banned

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(05-08-2014 11:45 PM)scotian Wrote:  
(05-08-2014 06:21 PM)SU27 Wrote:  
(05-04-2014 11:41 PM)Tresdus Wrote:  - no women for hundreds of miles for weeks at a time, it's basically like jail
True, but the most you work is 24 days and working 12 hour days you wouldn't have time for them anyway.
- it's very cold
You get used to it.
- not much to do in your off time except hit the internet, read, and fuck around with a bunch of dudes
Again you're working 12 hour days, unless you are sleeping 4 hours a day which is unhealthy you don't need much to do. Hit the gym and it's time to go to bed.
- sleeping and living quarters are very cramped
Who cares. I pay 600$/month for a 10sqm room. And all you do in your room is sleep anyway.
- if you get caught using drugs, you're kicked out (zero tolerance policy)
Don't do drugs then.
- speaking of drugs, this type of work has led both of my friends to heavily rely on alcohol and cocaine, which is a double whammy because they get tested for drugs every time they go back to work so if they test positive, they can't work (apparently, they have worked out ways to successfully cleanse their systems before getting drug tested)
Weak minds. Plain and simple.
- the work is highly regulated, but it's still physical labor so it's very exhausting and taxes your body
True, but there's ways to keep your body healthy.
- the three buffet meals a day make you gain a lot of weight unless you're really careful, problem is there's not much to do but eat plus the heavy work makes you hungry
Again, weak minds. No one forces you to eat. All you have to do is not put food in your mouth.
- my one friend works in Alberta a lot, but he seems to be losing his mind; my other friend is getting out of it - the other week he just completed his testing for his real estate license. His willingness to go from making so much money to so little I think speaks volumes to the difficult nature of this work
The work just isn't made for some people. I love working here, I like my job, been the best decision of my life.

Tresdus,

the way my friends explained work out west is basically:

1. no women
2. very cold
3. no privacy - living with 20 guys in cots right next to you is very different even from living in a small apartment lol
4. The high rates of alcohol and drug use aren't relegated to what you call "weak minds." Rather, the vast majority of workers in this type of job are addicted to something, just because of the nature of the work and environment in which workers find themselves in.

After taxes, you're making maybe $20k more than guys in other professions who are actually happy and get to enjoy life's little joys such as meeting women once in a while. If you're ok with living with men all the time and sacrificing the best years of your life without meeting women just so you can make an extra 30 or 40k, then feel free. You sound very happy with your job right now, but you're the only person I've ever met who has actually been "happy" with working these jobs. There's guys who rave about the money, but none of them do this job for very long and that's for very good reason.

The work pays a lot, and is a revolving door in terms of employees coming and going. It's like this for a reason.

SU27, that has got to be one of the most retarded things ever wrote on this thread and I don't know who the bigger fuckwit is; your friend for feeding you such nonsense or yourself for believing his bullshit. Your buddy sounds like the typical fly-by-nighter who moved out west without a plan to make some easy cash and took the first oil gig he was offered, then realized he couldn't hack it with the rough necks and moved back east with his tail between his legs and told everyone who would listen that Alberta sucks. I'm willing to bet dollars to donuts that you're from somewhere in Ontario, likely southern, as you guys haven't been moving out west en masse for years as us east coasters have and you haven't seen for your own eyes the way the oil biz positively affects so many young guys. That and only a fucking Upper Canadian could have such a god damned arrogant attitude to us peasants who don't hail from "the centre of the universe" and toil with our hands.

I'll admit that it isn't a glamorous lifestyle and yes the work conditions can be tough at times, but its a lot better than the garbage that your friend has told you and despite whatever preconceived notions you have of what Alberta is all about, a lot of us like it and plan on staying here long term and making a career out of it.

Again, this has got to be one of the most ignorant posts I've ever read on the internet, hopefully no one on here believes this shit and I'll break down your points to show how utterly ill informed you are:

1. no women: Yes, out of the 3 million+ residents in Alberta, all are men. Obviously while working on site, its majority male, just as it is at most male dominated industries that men all over the world work in. Of course, you probably work in a female dominated environment and are used to working around women all day, but believe me, a lot of us men actually prefer to work around other guys. As Tresdus has pointed out, we do actually have days off and go to cities such as Edmonton or Calgary (or farther), which have plenty. You can also get laid in camp (which I have) or if you live in Fort McMurray (which I do), there's enough girls here to chase.

2. very cold: I'll give you that, it was +8 today and there were flurries in the morning, which is why I fuck off to tropical paradises every winter for 4+ months at a time.

3. no privacy - living with 20 guys in cots right next to you is very different even from living in a small apartment lol: This is hilarious, have any of you had to sleep in a room with 20 guys in cots? Myself, I just moved in with my best friend from back home who owns a three level 2000 square foot house in Fort McMurray that was built last year, it set him back a lot but the place is great and looks like any late model house built anywhere in Canada in the past five years: big screen TVs, three bathrooms, new furniture, the fucking works, he even has a nice little gym set up down stairs with free weights, benches and a punching bag. My friend is working 7/7 shift so 50% of the time, I live alone. I pay $1000/month to live here.

4. The high rates of alcohol and drug use aren't relegated to what you call "weak minds." Rather, the vast majority of workers in this type of job are addicted to something, just because of the nature of the work and environment in which workers find themselves in.: This is probably the biggest lie I've ever heard, the vast majority, are you serious, care to share your sources? Oh ya, your dickhead buddy probably told you that one too. Yes, there are drugs in the oil patch, just like everywhere else but most of the guys who do them did them before they got into the oil biz and no one puts a gun to your head and makes you take them, I agree with Tresdus, weak minds. I for one have never seen anyone doing drugs on site besides a guy smoking a reefer in a parking lot once. Do you have any idea how much security is on an oil sands sites? We do drug tests for pre-employment, post-incident or if there's reasonable suspicion. Yes guys do drugs, but they don't last.

After taxes, you're making maybe $20k more than guys in other professions who are actually happy and get to enjoy life's little joys such as meeting women once in a while. If you're ok with living with men all the time and sacrificing the best years of your life without meeting women just so you can make an extra 30 or 40k, then feel free. You sound very happy with your job right now, but you're the only person I've ever met who has actually been "happy" with working these jobs. There's guys who rave about the money, but none of them do this job for very long and that's for very good reason.: Holy shit, your head is so far up your ass, you have to fart to breathe bud. We make A LOT more than 20K a year than other people in the same jobs across Canada and across the world, its no secret that welders in Alberta can make $250,000 a year where a similar welder in say Vancouver or Toronto would be lucky to pull in half that, this is common knowledge among the guys in this thread, one of the reasons a lot of them are going into it.

I don't think I have to explain it much to most of the people on this thread who have moved to Alberta after reading this thread, many of whom have met me in person, but I'll break down my situation for any doubters/haters out there:

-I began working in Fort McMurray earlier this week after spending four months in South America and three weeks back home on the east coast.

-My company paid my flight here and set me up in a brand new 2014 truck with a gas card, insurance, etc. I can use this truck as a personal vehicle and take it to Edmonton on my days off, gas paid, no problem. I haven't owned a vehicle in three years and always ride on the company's dime while I'm in Alberta.

-Living in a nice place as out lined above and the company pays me $145/day, tax free to do so, its called a "Living Out Allowance" (LOA)

-I'll be working about 12 hours a day and that includes travel to and from site, I'm working three weeks on and one week off and will drive to Edmonton/Calgary on my days off, or maybe fly down south for a week, we'll see.

-After taxes, I'm netting about $5500 a week and that doesn't include the $800 a week that I'll put in my pension (which has about $100K in it after working in the union over the past five years).

-As per usual, I will work until it gets cold, so that's about six months, in which time I should clear about 100K, less my monthly costs of about $2000, I'm sure I'll figure out something to do with the remaining 78K.

I only work about 5-6 months each year as most of the guys on here know, I spend the rest of my time traveling around the world doing what our fellow RVF guys do best: partying and chasing women. You can look up the data sheets I've dropped on Colombia, the Philipines, Thailand, Jamaica, Mexico, etc to see for yourself.

My lifestyle is easily achievable for anyone who wants to move out to Alberta to work hard, which is what most of the guys on here have done and are doing. The conditions I listed above and the money I make are in no way unusual, I work with lots of guys who make way more money, of course, it took me a few years to get to where I am, but really, anyone can do it.

So ya, us poor oil trash rotting away out west in such poor conditions, unhappy, depressed, never getting laid and addicted to booze and crack. Thanks so much for your concern bud and do us all a favor, stay back east and keep telling all of your friends how much it sucks out here, more money for us to make!

First of all, the angry tone of the response to my comment speaks volumes as to how happy how you are in your life right now. Were you on drugs when you wrote your response to my comment? Your post was filled with so much anger, hatred, and name calling that I have no idea where this came from. Are you a recovering alcoholic? Maybe it's just a case of the truth hurting, but my observations are based on what several people have told me about working in the oil sands as well as basic common sense. And other than a few details that may be specific to your situation, you pretty much confirmed everything I wrote.

I guess the way you communicate is in large measure either a product of your current work environment, massive drug abuse, or your Atlantic upbringing. Either way, it's safe to assume from your demeanor that you're not really cut out for a professional's way of life. The life of a laborer no doubt suits you, so you better make as much money out of it as your health and back can take. I'm not sure what you're going to do with the rest of your 78k, but whatever it is it probably won't be anything productive or smart. Maybe a few more trips to visit AIDS infested utopias such as Thailand or the Philippines will help the numb the pain of having to work in what must be hell on earth.

But I just wanted to point out that you angrily wrote about how wrong I was, and then, other than a few minor details that may be specific to your case, you went on to confirm pretty much every thing I said, which is that (1) there's no women up there (2) it's very cold (3) you make about 120k - which is roughly what I said my friend made and (4) the work is very hard and exhausting. Also, 120k before taxes really isn't that much money - all I said was I don't think the extra 30 or 40k is worth giving up the best years of your life.

As for the rampant drug use I'll leave that up to your overworked little Atlantic bred brain to figure out: if drug use wasn't a major problem in the oil sands, do you really think all the corporations out there would demand mandatory drug testing?
05-09-2014 07:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - SU27 - 05-09-2014 07:06 PM