Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
SU27 Offline
Banned

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(05-09-2014 11:55 PM)Nima Wrote:  
(05-09-2014 08:29 PM)Tresdus Wrote:  His tone was like that because you don't know what you're talking about.
He makes 120k NET in 6 months. Please tell me again which other industry apart from being a lawyer or a doctor will make you 250k/year? And do you really think doctors and lawyers work less than us? lol. And scotian (and me) isn't even working a job that is hard. I got paid 8 hours today working maybe 5 minutes, the rest of the time was spent sitting around and talking.

Welder's might have a hard job but they make even more money.

And are you saying all police officers are on drugs because they also require drug tests?

lol a dentist is lucky to pull in six figures once you include all the overhead (office lease, equipment lease, bills, variable and fixed costs to run the office etc...) and salaries for his hygenist(s) and receptionist(s). Majority of them probably make less than six figures actually. They work long hours as well.

And as you said, we don't really work all that hard all the time. This week I've probably worked a grand total of 17 hours and got paid 50!!

My favorite part of his rant is the part where he mentions drug use! That is the most idiotic thing I've ever read. Addiction is a character flaw. Whether you're addicted to gummy bears or crack, it's your own fucking lack of self control. If you do drugs out here than you must have done it before or were planning to do it at some point. To say that life out here pushes you towards addiction is the most idiotic argument ever.

Also lol @ only making 20K more!! After a few years out here a lot of people make 200-300K a year. Only lawyers can come close to such high salaries and only once they become a partner at a big law firm, AND ONLY after spending 8 years in school (4 years undergrad and 4 years for law school) and spending tens of thousands of dollars, if not more. Plus, only in major cities like Toronto/Vancouver/MTRL can lawyers make high salaries. Outside these cities you'll be lucky to pull in 6 figures after a few years. Most family physicians/dentists don't make anywhere near these numbers and they probably work more hours too.

There are easy trades and there are back breaking trades. There's something for everyone out here. SU27's posts are complete nonsense.

So how many people make 300k per year? Give us the numbers. I'm willing to bet very few people make that kind of money.

As for the drug addiction, I guess all those infamous problems northern communities have with drug and alcohol addiction are a character flaw, they have nothing to do with the fact the towns such as fort mcmurray are isolated in the middle of nowhere, temperatures are routinely -40, and there's nothing to do but work, eat, and sleep.

@ tresdus: the reason his tone was like that is because he doesn't know how to communicate properly, which is no doubt due to his working in an isolated area for years at a time. He also knows the truth hurts. Does anyone actually believe him when he says that there's plenty of options for women in Fort McMurray in northern Alberta??? Huh The funniest part is, you say I don't know what I'm talking about yet you yourself admit that you can only take it up there for a few years where you'll make as much money as you can and then get out. If it's so great and everything I said is bs, why don't you stay there forever and become a millionaire?

I'll tell you why: it's because all my pros and cons were for the most part - allowing for minor differences between different jobs and different levels of seniority - very accurate. That's why you yourself said you were only going to work there for a very short time ie a few years.

Like wtf I feel like I'm in the twilight zone. You guys know where fort mcmurray is right? It's in the Canadian arctic shield, it's the equivalent to being stuck in northern Siberia for 6 to 10 months at a time.

The isolation, cold temperatures, lack of female companionship and much of anything to do is why the drug and alcohol problem is so serious, so serious that companies routinely institute drug testing.

You don't have to believe me. The high salaries, high rates of worker attrition, and drug testing requirements tell you all you need to know about how great work there really is.
05-10-2014 12:53 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - SU27 - 05-10-2014 12:53 AM