Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Big Country Offline
Robin
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(05-11-2014 12:23 AM)BadWolf Wrote:  
Quote:No health risks at all dude... just dealing with the odd drunk guy at camp etc and making sure people are staying safe. Nobody is really anal, everyone is just there to get a job done and hopes for a hassle-free shift so there's mutual respect for the most part. It definitely won't be a very mentally stimulating job though!

Thats ok, I'm not a very stimulating person. Smile

I'm looking to get any job that doesn't involve tim hortons. I have background in law and security so its easy for me to pick up a security job and I'm coming home from China here with wife in tow. We have a decent house in Ontario and my family is there so I think I'll likely just dump her there instead of bringing her into some thirsty cesspool of horny guys. Scotian has given me some good advice on entry-level trades that I'll put into practice when I get home but I'll also be coming home with around $15,000 to $20,000 CAD and I'd like to sink it into MULTIPLE trades education for the wife and I. She is thinking of doing hairstyling or nursing and I'm looking at anything blue collar.

I was looking at the community college programs at home but every one of them is like a year to two years before entering a job. I have an interest in Mechanics, Welding and Heavy Equipment Operation and an AZ license I haven't used in 4 years. My friend and I were thinking of taking a backhoe/excavator course at home but they run around 10k for a month and I've been screwed at private colleges before.
Any advice from boots on the ground would be very helpful.

I don't have boots on the ground, but I think I could help. Keyano College is probably the best bet. In particular, two programs seem to be perfect for what you want, and perhaps a few others.

The first is a Haul Truck Operator course that runs 4 weeks.
http://www.keyano.ca/Academics/Programs/...ckOperator

The other is a Trades Prep program that runs 24 weeks.
http://www.keyano.ca/Academics/Programs/...reparation

Keyano is right in Fort McMurray, well integrated into the industrial community and you get work placement.

Personally, I am headed to do the Trades prep program. I spent a month reading this thread, and have pretty well set my mind on heading to Edmonton in September to get my tickets. Then I'll try and get any job in a camp and work until the Winter term starts at Keyano in 2015.

I would suggest, as many others have, to get all your safety stuff in Alberta. In Ontario it is ridiculously overpriced. Some you can do online though (CSTS). Hope this helps a bit.

PS: You might want to stay in Edmonton and do a pre-employment at NAIT, probably a better place to stay if you end up bringing your wife along. If not, I'd do Keyano.
(This post was last modified: 05-11-2014 06:01 AM by Big Country.)
05-11-2014 05:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Country's post:
Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Big Country - 05-11-2014 05:55 AM