Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Temm Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
All I got to say to the lurkers and all the new guys to this forum is that there is work in Alberta. My testing gig ended in Saskatchewan so I started looking for work in Alberta again cause Sask blows. Got on with another oil services company--no interview, no pre-screen phone hoopla, just e-mailed a resume and a drivers abstract (no DUIs or major collisions). All I got was, "so your medical and drug testing is all good Temm how soon can you get out here"? My response, "I can be in Edmonton before lunchtime tomorrow". Their response was more or less , "Good, we'll take care of the rest". So I'm back in northern Alberta this time around with a 20 on and 10 off schedule in a camp.

If you're anxious to get out here, save a little money like Scotian mentions, come out and stay at the edmonton hostel, and get first aid, h2s, pst/csts. Also, stress on your resume that you don't mind working outside 10 to 14 hours a day in all kinds of weather across western Canada--what can also help is if you're somewhat mechanically inclined. If you can do that, you're already saving these companies the hassle of getting you booked for all those courses and can get to work right away--additionally, if you have a full class 5 with your own wheels and PPE (hard hat, steel toe boots), it helps.

For my American brethren, all I can say is good luck to you. There's a lot of work in North Dakota. If you can get on with a company there or in Texas, etc. that may open up opportunities in Canada or you can do like I did and marry a fine Canadian lass ha ha. From what I've heard, there is a testing company with an office in Minot, ND, which is really close to Estevan, SK--it's called FMC. And they have guys that work in Canada and the US. One of the testing supervisors I worked with last month said he made more money in the US than he did in Canada.

So that's it in a nutshell. I encourage the new guys to READ this thread in its entirety--it's not long. Pay special attention to how the guys on this forum did things and formulate your own plan and put it into motion.
05-16-2014 09:37 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 5 users Like Temm's post:
Vacancier Permanent, pitt, Buzzyfurbox, Monty_Brogan, Laurifer

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Temm - 05-16-2014 09:37 PM