Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Big Country Offline
Robin
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(05-17-2014 07:58 AM)Buzzyfurbox Wrote:  Hi everyone,

Well got my visa in April and have booked my ticket and have my travel insurance sorted,will be landing in Edmonton end of June,will be staying in a mate's house for a week or two until I get on my feet, plans is to get my SIN number and get my H2S, csts, and first aid straight away,get my licence converted and hopefully get a truck.

Just going to get a construction labouring position for my first job and get my resume in order and head out to Nisku and start applying for MWD positions.I understand it's the quiet season but have seen a few DD companies hiring already so hopefully I might pick something up before the Autumn.Money is going to be tight but I should be alright if I get a job to tie me over,also where is the best/cheapest place to buy ppe gear,and the cheapest deals on safety courses?

Cheers

Buzzy

Congrats man, I'll be heading out in August. From what I've gathered Enform.ca is your best bet regarding your tickets. Seems to be close to the cheapest prices. You can also consider going to Bissel employment services, where you can get three tickets free (H2S, First Aid, CSTS). http://bissellcentre.org/programs/employment-services/ Thanks to Habsguy for this info, pretty helpful if money is tight.

Marks.com is the best for equipment. Others have mentioned name dropping a bigger company and you may get a discount. Suncor for example.
05-17-2014 10:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like Big Country's post:
Vacancier Permanent, Buzzyfurbox

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Big Country - 05-17-2014 10:48 AM