Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
I don't know why the fuck I even bother going out in Fort McMurray, I guess its partly to blow off steam and also the fact that I'm a hard drinking piss tank, but every time I go out I end up regretting it. Case in point: last night, went to the local boozer (East Village Pub in Timberlea), rolled solo but wasn't in there for 20 seconds before I was recognized and sat at a table. Had a few drinks with a buddy from back home then went outside for a dart, when I came back in, said buddy was shooting pool, so I sat down with a group of 4 girls at the table I just left.

I opened them with "so do you know my buddy?" turns out that they didn't but I managed to unglue them from their Iphones and kept the conversation going with the two who were sat closest to me, turns out that one of them was keen and we were hitting it off: she got closer to me (moved over a chair, "its loud in here I can't hear you") and laughed at my cheesy observations about Fort McMurray. At about two minutes into our interaction, her friend, who was quite a bit hotter, summoned her to go to the bathroom, to which she complied. So there I was, sat with her unattractive (fat Newfie), but nice enough friend, so I kept the conversation going.

After a couple of minutes, the two girls returned and the one I was chatting up sat awkwardly across the table next to her friend, sharing a chair with her while there were two available next to me, where she was sat before. Instead of trying to reengage her, I excused myself and went to the pool table to hang out with my buddy, I really don't have the patience to deal with this shit. My guess is that her hot friend was jealous or something that her friend was getting male attention, while she wasn't.

Moral of this story is that if you guys decide to work half the year and fuck off to third world shit holes with friendlier like me, be prepared to the culture shock/reintegration that I'm going through now. Fuck it, I'm buying a new fishing rod ASAP, the walleye are running up here this time of year anyway.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
05-24-2014 07:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 5 users Like scotian's post:
Chaos, Vacancier Permanent, BusDev, Laurifer, Tigre

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 05-24-2014 07:17 AM