Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Jack Of All Trades Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(05-24-2014 12:38 PM)komatiite Wrote:  There are so many new forum posters from the USA who ask how to break into the oil sands, but honestly cannot think of any posters who actually made the move. I don't read the forum too much so probably missed a few. But instead of having people pester Scotian with PMs, maybe if you are American and made the move to the oil sands, post up here with a brief comment. I am interested to hear on how the transition for Americans is, especially after seeing some successes from our European brethren thus far... Is the immigration process way too fucked up for Americans? I assume it would be easy for a guy with 10 years experience as an engineer for Shell in Houston to make the move into Canada, but what about younger guys or folks with little oil experience?

I heard one story about a american guy from the hi hostel in edmonton. Quick rundown, immigrated to canada through a degree, spent almost 2 weeks cold calling every company in ft mac. In the last few days gets hired I think as a laborer, packs his bags and heads up to the big dirty.

The question about a experienced engineer from shell in houston is irrelevant. If you've got 10 yrs in the industry as a engineer for shell in houston there would no way in hell you'd move to alberta. Houston is the center of the universe for Oil and gas, engineers from alberta probably would want to move TO houston.
05-29-2014 10:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Jack Of All Trades - 05-29-2014 10:30 PM