Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
CKSEA Offline
Pigeon

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
The Canadian gov't subsidizes small business loans up to 500,000 requiring only 10% down so that shouldn't be an issue.

I personally know drivers who were making 20,000cad/month last year as staff for oil field hauling. The market is based on nepotism so best to start small and build a name for yourself (i.e., delivering ontime during a whiteout), I would think. In my job I had to order lots of different loads and there was more times then a couple this past year where I absolutely could not get a truck for days because everyone was booked solid.

I've been in the industry for several years now and am surprised I haven't come up with a better idea to make money other than moving up the job chain, starting a small business would be great, just haven't thought of the right one for me yet.

(06-07-2014 12:45 PM)Laurifer Wrote:  
(06-06-2014 08:02 PM)CKSEA Wrote:  Hey does anyone have an Alberta Class 1 here? Ever thought about starting an oilfield trucking business or know anyone personally who has?

I don't have a class 1, but I've often thought about what it would take to start an oilfield hauling company. I'm no expert in entrepreneurship, but I did some quick math and figured you can start off at a decent size with $500,000. With that you could buy a fleet of used trucks. A lot of truckers also own their own truck and contract out to companies.

I figured if you could secure roughly $1 million you could probably also staff your own mechanics with a garage, office staff (dispatch, coordinator, safety, reception etc.) and start your business from there. I'd just make an office/HQ out of modular c-cans like this.

I can't imagine it would be too difficult getting a bunch of experienced truckers to come haul for your company provided the compensation is attractive. Of course, you can also start out very small if you wanted (just you, a class 1 licence, and a truck) and build a company from there.
06-07-2014 03:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like CKSEA's post:
Laurifer, Vacancier Permanent

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - CKSEA - 06-07-2014 03:27 PM