Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
(06-08-2014 11:29 AM)Euroguy Wrote:  Hi everyone,

It's my first post here

I've been reading this thread "Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!" for weeks. Very interesting and informative content.

I am thinking about moving to Alberta ( first to Edmonton or Calgary and later maybe even north to oilsands, Fort Mcmurray ? ). Couple of words about me. I am canadian citizen ( by naturalization not by birth / lived in Canada 1990-94 / Toronto, Ontario ). Haven't been to Canada for the last 20 years. For the last 20 years I run ( as a manager ) big warehouses/logistic centers in Poland. Had under my supervision several dozen staff, I am professional user of SAP software for Supply Chain Management ( by the way software products of this german company are also used in warehouses in Canada, so far I know ). In other words I am professional warehouse manager.

Can anybody tell me if I had a chance to get a job in Alberta ( or in the oilsands ) in my field.

my adventages:
- I am canadian citizen ( so do not need to worry about work permit, visa and so on )
- have 20 years experience in my profession
- at the beginning I could accept any job, below my qualifications ( you must not to be picky from the start ), I am used also to hard physical work

my disadvantages:
- I don't have canadian experience in my profession
- my english is not bad but I am not a native speaker, thats for sure
- I am over 40

Please reply
Thanks in advance
Euroguy

Best way to find out is to just come here, as you've probably seen by reading the thread, there's a lot of opportunity out here and unskilled guys are getting good jobs and making good money just by showing up. Since you're experienced in a field that is surely in demand in Alberta, I don't see why you wouldn't get work and your age shouldn't be a problem since you have tons of experience, good luck.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
06-09-2014 08:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like scotian's post:
Vacancier Permanent, BusDev

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 06-09-2014 08:08 PM