Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Albertron Offline
Robin

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Big Country,

I think I can say that most people, myself included, who stumble upon this thread, take the time to consume the info here and finally make the move are trying to improve their life situation, be it trying to make more money, finding a better job or looking for a change.

That being said, it goes without saying that sacrificing family time and your old social circle is a true reality that must be considered prior to moving here. I know in my situation, it took me months to understand that reality and accept it, so once I got here, I was in go-go-go mode and thought of nothing else but achieving the goals I've set for myself to get on my feet ASAP and set the wheels of financial abundance into motion.

Once I've settled into my role at work and began to see my bank account swell, the routinization of my schedule started kicking in, and it wasn't until about 8 months in that I became incredibly homesick. I'm proud of myself for jumping into something I knew nothing about other than the research I've done and this thread, but the unfamiliarity of my surroundings did take a toll on my psyche.

My cousin, who also moved here to teach high school on a Native reserve camp, said it best when he went back home to visit family: he felt like he was in limbo when he was there. I felt the same way when I went back home for holidays. Old friends move on, family is doing the same old things. Life goes on with or without you. Once I realized and fully understood that, my homesickness went away almost entirely. So in a sense, my desire to go back home did lessen, and now I don't think about it too much anymore.

I got a lot of shit to do here, which will allow me to do other shit that I've always wanted to do. That in itself is enough to keep the feelings of homesickness at bay.
06-24-2014 11:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 8 users Like Albertron's post:
ash093, Avon Barksdale, Big Country, No Habit, Vacancier Permanent, Atlantic, rdvirus, scotian

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - Albertron - 06-24-2014 11:20 PM