Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months!
Alright so the meet up is on tonight, I'll be at the Pint off Whyte at 8pm so hope to see some of you guys there, I know a few are out of town or working nights so won't be able to join us but a few of guys got back to me so we'll see what happens.

As far as home sickness goes, the longer you stay out here, the easier it gets. I've been out here for eight years now and for the first three years or so my main goals were to pay off my loans, get tickets and experience then move home. I achieved the first two goals easily but then realized that moving home just wasn't the best option, for starters, the wages are low back home in Nova Scotia, about $8 less an hour, plus there's very little over time. Basically I'd go from making about $100K in Edmonton to about $50-60K in Halifax, plus the income taxes are high in NS and so are all other taxes, they pay 15% sales tax compared to just 5% in Alberta. Also, since there is a labour shortage out west for skilled people, the employers tend to treat you better because they know that if they don't, you'll just cross the street and work somewhere else. It isn't like that down home, where employers tend to treat you like shit because they know that they can and also, there's a lot more bag licking and back stabbing among employees down home because again, there's just not that much work to go around.

I try to make it home once a year now, but will start going more often as I have nieces and a God daughter who I want to see grow up. I just spent three weeks home back in April and honestly can't see myself moving back as there just isn't enough opportunity down there and if I did move, I'd have to change my lifestyle quite a bit and start pinching pennies. I remember what it was like living pay cheque-to-pay cheque and it sucked, its not something I care to do again. Plus as you get older, your old friends move on and start having families and settling down, so its not even that fun to go home anymore.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
06-26-2014 11:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 8 users Like scotian's post:
slowokan, TheFinalEpic, Kane, Zeus, Vacancier Permanent, Tresdus, Big Country, TheBMan

Messages In This Thread
Risks, opportunities, import/export - OSL - 03-16-2013, 06:58 AM
RE: Working in the Canadian oil sands: 6 figures in 6 months! - scotian - 06-26-2014 11:28 AM