I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Electronics through customs for profit
hoops330 Offline
Chubby Chaser

Electronics through customs for profit
I thought there might have been a thread on this but I couldn't find it so I apologize if that is the case. Anyways... I am planning a return trip to Brazil and due to the ridiculous import taxes their the price of electronic goods are outrageous. I wanted to make a few purchases here (Ipads, Ipods, Iphones, Beats by Dre headphones) and take them into Brazil and make some money. Would I be able to get through customs if I were carrying two of each? Are their any other risks besides having to pay the tax? Does anybody have any experience making money in this manner? Thanks in advance for the help.
06-16-2012 06:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Deb Auchery Offline
Banned

RE: Electronics through customs for profit
What I would do(and am planning to do) is to take some stuff like you mentioned with me to Brazil, but send the packaging separately in the post. I think having two of each is pushing it.. It would be more plausible to just have varied items. With the Ipad, I would suggest you use a little before you go, in case they decide to fire it up at customs
(This post was last modified: 06-16-2012 07:13 PM by Deb Auchery.)
06-16-2012 07:13 PM
WestIndianArchie Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

(06-16-2012 06:33 PM)hoops330 Wrote:  I thought there might have been a thread on this but I couldn't find it so I apologize if that is the case. Anyways... I am planning a return trip to Brazil and due to the ridiculous import taxes their the price of electronic goods are outrageous. I wanted to make a few purchases here (Ipads, Ipods, Iphones, Beats by Dre headphones) and take them into Brazil and make some money. Would I be able to get through customs if I were carrying two of each? Are their any other risks besides having to pay the tax? Does anybody have any experience making money in this manner? Thanks in advance for the help.

http://www.rooshvforum.com/thread-9105.html
06-16-2012 07:56 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes WestIndianArchie's post:
UgSlayer
Freedom Offline
Recovering Beta

I noticed some posts on Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree forum stating that if you're Brazilian your luggage gets scrutinized for electronics. Merikans don't get much flack unless you have "two of each" item. You'll have to pay 50% face value of the item. So for the purpose of reselling it may not be worth the hassle.
06-16-2012 09:28 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Crypto and travelling: "What's your job?" from customs shakra 13 3,504 08-01-2018 10:19 PM
Last Post: DaveR
  Financing Your Trip by Importing Electronics PartyTime 26 20,004 06-20-2017 01:39 AM
Last Post: CaptainChardonnay
  Customs and Border Patrol - Global Entry Program MiXX 54 54,093 01-26-2017 01:38 AM
Last Post: Scott Free