Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Fertilizer Plant Explosion in West, TX
Screwston Offline
Banned

Fertilizer Plant Explosion in West, TX
Quote:As many as 60 people have been killed in a fertilizer plant explosion in West, Texas, KWTX reported.

West EMS Director Dr. George Smith told the TV station that hundreds of people were also injured in the blast Wednesday night. The cause of the blast is currently unknown.

Emergency crews, who were dispatched from throughout central Texas, are now being forced to pull back due to concerns of a second explosion.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/17...05341.html
04-17-2013 11:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Screwston Offline
Banned

RE: Fertilizer Plant Explosion in West, TX
04-17-2013 11:21 PM
Screwston Offline
Banned

04-17-2013 11:23 PM
greensteelhead Offline
Robin

Damn! Holy crap! Was that the explosion they heard from 40 miles away? It was a big one, and hopefully the cameraman and kid is ok. Big damn fireball!

Was watching an update on the news before bed. Looks like every EMS responder in TX is there. Terrible.
04-17-2013 11:31 PM
Kickb Away
Hummingbird

Damn
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2013 12:09 AM by Kickb.)
04-17-2013 11:38 PM
liberman Offline
Woodpecker

(04-17-2013 11:23 PM)houston Wrote:  

Shit they must have been close to the plant, the noise of the explosion reached them in a second or less.
04-17-2013 11:40 PM
scotian Offline
Crow
Gold Member

WOW! Sad day in Waco Texas, 60 people lost and many more injured, I can't imagine the impact a major incident like this would have on a community.

It will be interesting to find out what caused the incident, if they ever do figure it out. I haven't read much into it yet, watched a quick news video but I have a hard time watching these types of videos of industrial accidents. I hope the community comes together to support the survivors and all of the workers who are now out of a job, I also hope that any potential chemical spills or toxic fumes have been contained and don't do any more damage to the town.

Don’t sweat the petty things, pet the sweaty things.
04-17-2013 11:59 PM
Fitzgerald Offline
Woodpecker

Sad. Hopefully the ones taken by the blast were gone before they knew what hit them. I'm in DFW, they're calling in all the firefighters and EMS they can.
04-18-2013 12:06 AM
Moreless Offline
Robin

Waco resident here. I didn't hear or feel the "earthquake." (probably cause i was napping) West is about 15 miles north from me. I wonder how this will effect Dia at Baylor tomorrow.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2013 12:46 AM by Moreless.)
04-18-2013 12:08 AM
Handsome Creepy Eel Offline
Owl
Gold Member

Holy fuck. So those special effects in movies are actually realistic...

My condolences to everyone affected.

There will now probably be a large debate about the need to stricter industrial safety measures (not that I'm saying that they would have prevented this explosion, fertilizer plants are inherently dangerous) that will rage for a few weeks.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before
04-18-2013 02:38 AM
speakeasy Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

Damn, crazy news week! And it's only Wednesday. What's Thr and Fri got in store?

You guys ever heard of this workplace explosion near Vegas? This is one of the worst blasts in history:

(This post was last modified: 04-18-2013 02:58 AM by speakeasy.)
04-18-2013 02:50 AM
Norset Offline
Woodpecker

(04-17-2013 11:23 PM)houston Wrote:  

That's the most polite panicking kid I've ever heard.
04-18-2013 02:53 AM
Idlenations Offline
Robin

Horrible event, yet I can't stop wondering whose clever idea it was to build a fertilizer plant in a residential area.
04-18-2013 05:55 AM
porscheguy Offline
Ostrich

(04-18-2013 02:38 AM)Handsome Creepy Eel Wrote:  Holy fuck. So those special effects in movies are actually realistic...

My condolences to everyone affected.

There will now probably be a large debate about the need to stricter industrial safety measures (not that I'm saying that they would have prevented this explosion, fertilizer plants are inherently dangerous) that will rage for a few weeks.
Extra safety measures may not have prevented the explosion, but better zoning measures would have prevented some of the destruction that came from the explosion. Apparently the storage tanks that contained several thousand gallons of anhydrous ammonia were as close as 350 feet from residential areas.

Anhydrous ammonia is some nasty shit. Check out some pics of what exposure to the stuff can do to you. This is probably NSFW

http://www.bestgore.com/burn-victim/chem...gas-india/
04-18-2013 05:59 AM
Aliblahba Offline
Banned

Almost 66 years to the day that almost 600 lost their lives and 3500 injured in a fertilizer explosion in Texas City:

http://www.history.com/this-day-in-histo...1-in-texas

The U.S. needs stricter fertilizer laws. When will these atrocities end?
04-18-2013 06:10 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Aliblahba's post:
WestIndianArchie
porscheguy Offline
Ostrich

Monsanto is the number one producer of fertilizer in the US. This shit will never end.
04-18-2013 08:58 AM
NY Digital Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

funny how if it's a "natural disaster" it's not really important for news or outrage.
04-18-2013 09:01 AM
Therapsid Offline
Pelican

(04-18-2013 09:01 AM)NY Digital Wrote:  funny how if it's a "natural disaster" it's not really important for news or outrage.

Yup. Unless it can be blamed on climate change.

People are fundamentally irrational about what causes of death and injury they worry about. That wouldn't be a problem except that these same irrational people create special interest groups that then lobby for bad legislation which actually end up hurting more people in the long run.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2013 09:06 AM by Therapsid.)
04-18-2013 09:05 AM
Aliblahba Offline
Banned

(04-18-2013 09:01 AM)NY Digital Wrote:  funny how if it's a "natural disaster" it's not really important for news or outrage.

That's because asshole liberals keep gun control in the news. If there was an amendment protecting fertilizer, then it would be attacked by Democrats just as bad.
04-18-2013 09:06 AM
NYJ Offline
Kingfisher

We won't be seeing any mass cries for stricter regulation in the fertilizer industry either. Most of the major news outlets did a once over of the situation and went right back to Boston.

Reppin the Jersey Shore.
04-18-2013 09:09 AM
NY Digital Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

Only 1 posted on my FB and it was about how cool the explosion was.

Wow. I just can't. Ridiculous. Btw it was between 5-15 people killed and 160+ wounded. Bigger numbers but no one gives a shit. Even though it was Americans.
04-18-2013 03:22 PM
cardguy Offline
Banned

Just under 3000 people died on 9/11. And it resulted in trillions of dollars in extra debt, and two wars in which hundreds of thousands of people died. And yet it did little to make people any safer from terrorism.

Yet - last year - 25,580 people died in car crashes. In 2001 - it was 42,196. And nobody gives a shit.

Indeed - more US soldiers have being killed in Iraq alone - than people died on 9/11. That is like being shot in the foot - and then deciding to finish the job off by shooting a bullet into your other one.

I once read that more people died in extra car crashes in the months after 9/11 than did in the original attacks. And this was because more people were taking the car instead of the plane (which would have being much safer).

It seems out of whack that terrorism is seen as a major issue - which is top of every president's pile of commitments.

I would love for a major politician to be honest with the public when addressing the latest mass panic. And calmly explain that terrorism is far far down the radar of major problems that need dealing with. It is a sad world that such a statement would be political suicide.

Needless to say. I support the military and abhor terrorism. I just wish a more rational discussion could take place in political circles, and in the media.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2013 04:10 PM by cardguy.)
04-18-2013 03:59 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like cardguy's post:
Therapsid, username
Kickb Away
Hummingbird

The disaster happened in bum fucking Egypt. A Boston bombing is a juicier story. l
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2013 04:02 PM by Kickb.)
04-18-2013 04:00 PM
NY Digital Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

That's all it's really about. A juicier story. You realize how easy it is for the media and government to tell us what's important and what isn't? They influence the masses with one sweeped motion, and are able to create anger, influence decisions, pass votes, etc. Like passing the GMO bill during the whole gay marriage debacle. Passing the NDAA on January 1st ( Although repealed afterwards it was still in effect for a time). No one brings up the fact that there is a drone that killed a U.S. citizen on foreign soil without due process or any imminent threat.)

No one questions what the media says. You can find videos on YouTube where people on the street believe you if you have a microphone in your hand. It's too easy.
(This post was last modified: 04-18-2013 04:06 PM by NY Digital.)
04-18-2013 04:04 PM
cardguy Offline
Banned

People are stupid:

04-18-2013 04:08 PM