I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Recommendations for Auto Radar Detector
Pyre Offline
Banned

Recommendations for Auto Radar Detector
Anyone have any recommendations for radar detectors for my car?

Which are the best models? Do they even work to avoid police? I've heard that they work by detecting laser signals and if they detect the signal that means it hit you and you're already tagged by the highway patrol.
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2013 05:09 PM by Pyre.)
10-22-2013 05:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
RexImperator Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

RE: Recommendations for Auto Radar Detector
Waze app... At least for the highway.

Radar/Lidar detectors aren't as useful now that the police use "instant-on" guns. Back in the day they would leave the gun on all the time, sending radiation all over the place. Now the detectors really only work when there is enough traffic in front of you to bounce stray reflections back to your detector. Otherwise, like when you're blasting down an empty road, the detector will only tell you you're about to get pulled over.

Bella, horrida bella
et Thybrim multo spumantem sanguine cerno
(This post was last modified: 10-22-2013 05:34 PM by RexImperator.)
10-22-2013 05:29 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like RexImperator's post:
puckerman, Handsome Creepy Eel
iknowexactly Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

One crude measure I take is getting behind someone that's speeding. A certain distance is best-- radar only works on the nearest object.

So if you are 75 yards behind a "shield" car, a cop waiting by the side of the road who turns on his radar will get him not you.

They come up BEHIND you too, watch out for that.

The easiest thing to do is not go really fast, set your cruise control for maybe 7 MPH above the limit, then even when they catch you they usually won't give you a ticket.

I've also noticed cops give out more tickets in the late afternoon. They don't want to be stopping cars at night when someone in the car can pull out a gun unseen and shoot them as they walk up to the car. So if they've been lazy and haven't written any tickets that day they have to catch up in the late afternoon.

"The goal of {amoral} capitalism is to reduce all human interaction to the cash nexus." L. D.
10-23-2013 03:59 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like iknowexactly's post:
BBinger, DJ-Matt
puckerman Offline
True Player

Years ago, people told me that the Valentine One is the best one. I don't know if that is the case anymore.

I have had lots of weird experiences with cops behind me. Would the radar detector catch them? I would definitely like to have something that will keep cops from sneaking up on me from behind.

I like to hug the white line. It does no harm whatsoever. It's a lot better to go over the white line on the side of the road than to go across the lines in the middle and hit a car going the other way. Several times, cops have pulled me over for going over the white line on the side. It's ridiculous.
(This post was last modified: 09-02-2019 12:02 AM by puckerman.)
09-01-2019 11:57 PM
Hypno Offline
International Playboy

In my city, the traffic cameras on major roads shoot radar at you so you will get false positives all over the city. (they have that so they know how fast traffic is moving and can detect accidents, etc.) Eventually stopped using it.
09-02-2019 05:31 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Hypno's post:
BBinger, Kona
Guy80 Offline
Male Feminist

ValentineOne is still great. I put black tape over all but top 2 lights, Ka and laser. Done many long and fast road trips averaging 90mph+
Note: Laser needs to be jammed, detecting it is practically worthless.
09-03-2019 07:05 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Guy80's post:
BBinger
JayR Offline
Chubby Chaser

(09-01-2019 11:57 PM)puckerman Wrote:  Years ago, people told me that the Valentine One is the best one. I don't know if that is the case anymore.

I have had lots of weird experiences with cops behind me. Would the radar detector catch them?

Yes. The V1 that you recommend scans ahead of you and behind you, as long as you mount it properly with a clear line of sight out of the back of your car.
09-03-2019 02:11 PM
Pete Offline
Chubby Chaser

Valentine One. It saved me multiple times (enough times to justify its cost) and it has the longest reach, I've tried a few and V1 would alert me well before the cop would be on mi line of sight.

Police mostly use Ka band to catch you. Most other alerts could be ignored. If they use a laser thing, no radar is going to be able to alert you beforehand. When you get that alert you're already clocked.
(This post was last modified: 09-03-2019 02:23 PM by Pete.)
09-03-2019 02:21 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pete's post:
puckerman
Pete Offline
Chubby Chaser

(09-01-2019 11:57 PM)puckerman Wrote:  Years ago, people told me that the Valentine One is the best one. I don't know if that is the case anymore.

I have had lots of weird experiences with cops behind me. Would the radar detector catch them? I would definitely like to have something that will keep cops from sneaking up on me from behind.

I like to hug the white line. It does no harm whatsoever. It's a lot better to go over the white line on the side of the road than to go across the lines in the middle and hit a car going the other way. Several times, cops have pulled me over for going over the white line on the side. It's ridiculous.

It will only let you know if he has his radar on. Most highway cops are lazy and have it on 99% of the time. If they don't have it on they probably aren't looking to pull anyone over.

However, I've been pulled over by cops which did not even had a radar on their car. Just because they could and wanted to give me a hard time. So you can't rely 100% on the radar, the best is a combination of radar and eye sight.
09-03-2019 02:27 PM
oldude Offline
Male Feminist
Gold Member

bell sti magnum, VG2 and Specture undetectable...
09-03-2019 02:42 PM
puckerman Offline
True Player

(09-03-2019 02:27 PM)Pete Wrote:  

It will only let you know if he has his radar on. Most highway cops are lazy and have it on 99% of the time. If they don't have it on they probably aren't looking to pull anyone over.

However, I've been pulled over by cops which did not even had a radar on their car. Just because they could and wanted to give me a hard time. So you can't rely 100% on the radar, the best is a combination of radar and eye sight.

I do my best, but I spend more time looking in front of me than behind me. In many cases, the cops that pulled me over were also several cars behind at one point.

But considering how lazy they are, they probably do have it on all the time.

During my driving life, I have been pulled over three times by cops for weaving. Of course, nothing was wrong. And all three times, I was in a long parade of cars.
09-04-2019 09:41 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dash camera recommendations Lance Blastoff 2 639 04-09-2019 08:15 PM
Last Post: Lance Blastoff
  [Hygiene]  Recommendations for hair clippers and beard trimmer? speakeasy 2 2,760 04-05-2019 11:34 PM
Last Post: nelliettapp
  Shaving with a straight razor? Any recommendations? popeyearms76 33 16,349 12-25-2018 05:24 AM
Last Post: terebin