Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Moving - Bypassing Broker Fee
EddieValiant Offline
Pigeon

Moving - Bypassing Broker Fee
Any advice from nyers to a nyer on bypassing a broker fee when moving. Id prefer to take it in the ass than give a talentless leach a months rent. Been focusing on craigslist now. Full of these mofos. Owners too lazy to do the work themselves so its been tough finding owner listed vacancies. Any advice? Thx
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2014 09:45 PM by EddieValiant.)
05-20-2014 09:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like EddieValiant's post:
Onto, Handsome Creepy Eel
456 Offline
Kingfisher

RE: Moving - Bypassing Broker Fee
removed
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2016 07:15 PM by 456.)
05-21-2014 02:17 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes 456's post:
Onto
Onto Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

If you want to be in a high rise on the UES. Try Glenwood Management. They own tons of buildings and some in other parts of the city.

I found a nice parlor apt in Carrol Gardens a couple years ago on Craigs List directly from the owner.

There's also lot's of no fee apartment websites out there. You could use StreetEasy.com and search No Fee as well.

I hear what you're saying about not using a broker. Sometimes it's worth it if you're going to be staying in the place for a few years because the rent should be lower with a broker. They will always try and move you into some shithole they can't rent. You need to hold out, eat up their time until they are ready to give up the goods.
05-21-2014 03:31 PM
The Father Offline
Banned

Yes. Try Streeteasy.com. Select Rentals, then "no fee". GREAT site for renters and buyers alike!
05-21-2014 07:32 PM
paulstein Offline
Pigeon

You'll have better luck with larger apartment complexes where you can lease directly from the management company. If you want to be in a brown stone or a specific neighborhood it seems that you just have to eat it and pay the fee. A lot of postings on Craigslist will say no fee, but will actually be by brokers with a fee, so as others have said street easy is a better source.

Standard fee these days is 15%, but I've been able to negotiate that to about 12% in the past. This is probably the worst time of the year to be moving with college kids graduating, getting internships and what have you.

November and December are the best months to move in NYC, so if you have the option to wait it out for a bit that could help as well.
05-21-2014 08:10 PM
EddieValiant Offline
Pigeon

Thanks gents. Looking at outerboroughs. Going to try to get in touch with building managers but I might have to deal with the fuckers. Reminds me of a Tyson quote.." I mean, I been robbed of my most of my money, can I at least get a blowjob...."...crooks I tell ya.
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2014 08:27 PM by EddieValiant.)
05-21-2014 08:27 PM
The Father Offline
Banned

Bear in mind that you pay one way or another: Apartment complexes that rent with "no fee" typically charge a higher price per month, also, they tend to jack up the rent like crazy the second year. So, if you expect to be in the place more than a year or two, you might save money by paying the fee. I paid a fee once in NYC to rent a BEAUTIFUL condo. The owner was an investor who lived overseas. He just wanted a clean, safe mature tenant who wouldn't wreck the place. I got a rock-bottom rent...and then he didn't increase it for 5 years!
05-21-2014 09:25 PM
456 Offline
Kingfisher

removed
(This post was last modified: 02-08-2016 07:25 PM by 456.)
05-24-2014 11:00 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Moving to China vs moving to USA Go-getter 41 11,248 05-01-2015 11:20 PM
Last Post: Go-getter
  Online broker for Non US residents?? Scarecr0w 2 3,279 01-14-2013 05:38 PM
Last Post: Scarecr0w