Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

A Woman's Room: Creation Of A Fake Cubicle To Highlight Online Harassment Of Females
2Wycked Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

A Woman's Room: Creation Of A Fake Cubicle To Highlight Online Harassment Of Females
[Image: AWRO-shoes-sm2.jpg]

Link to a predictably moronic StepChick article here:

Quote:[Trigger warning for images based on threats and harassment]

Get your black dresses- and your reading glasses out. There is an art show a comin’ to town!

For the past month I, along with the help of LAWAAG have been building an art exhibit called, A Woman’s Room Online. The art installation is about online harassment and stalking from the perspective of women, feminist bloggers and journalists who earn at least part of their income from working online.

The title of the show is meant, in part, to reference a feminist art installation created in 1972 called, Womanhouse. Womanhouse was organized by Judy Chicago and Miriam Schapiro, co-founders of the California Institute of the Arts (CalArts) Feminist Art Program. In that exhibit, an entire house was taken over by a group of feminist women artists and each room became an installation art or performance space.

In an attempt to reference that project but also to modernize and express the online spaces that women inhabit, I am building a free standing 8ft by 10ft office space, from the ground up, on the 2nd floor of The Center For Inquiry-Los Angeles. The room is intended to be an average office that a woman would work in. It is simply a normal office space, with a door, desk, chair and a computer and other small objects that one might have in a workspace, but this particular room has been transformed to clearly show the viewer what it can feel like to be targeted in your place of work, over multiple years with aggressive online stalking and harassment.

The room and its objects are blanketed with actual messages sent to, or publicly posted about the women who have contributed to the exhibit.

The messages are all real and were sent to or publicly posted about the women from July 2nd, 2011 up until now.

It’s your turn to read them. What has been sent to us, will now be on display for you.

[Image: AWRO-2-sm.jpg]

It reveals so much that they think a woman's home front is in a cubicle, not a home. Those fucking 1%'er men, I'll show them who is an empowered woman! Sucking corporate dick for profits never felt so good as long as you do it the expense of your family. As Randi Zuckerberg observed:

First yawn? Adorbs. Facebook it. First hiccups? Obviously all my friends want to see that. Snoozing in a park? OMG, soooo cute! Who wouldn't want to see baby photos 50 times a day?

I soon found out. I had some pretty honest co-workers, and one day one of them decided to give it to me straight. "Randi," she said, "Asher is adorable, but you can't keep posting a zillion baby photos. You have a professional reputation to uphold."

Yawn. Corporate profits > family.

Quote:People say to “ignore it” or “grow a thicker skin” or to “just walk away” when online harassment is brought up. But that advice ignores the fact that women have every right to earn a living and to peacefully exist online without being threatened. This is not about [a] mere critique as the harassers like to frame it, this is about bullying, intimidation and the stripping away of privacy.

You mean that you support the stripping away of privacy to tame trolls? ESPN's foray into forcing commenters to use their Facebook handle honestly has only curbed nasty commentary partially. People --men, in this situation -- still make dumb-ass comments regularly.

Quote:My art exhibit is meant to put you, the viewer, in their shoes if only for a moment. See what it is like to be obsessively judged based on “fuck-ability”, “rape-ability”, as an object, or alternatively as what seems to be a target in a socially accepted (or otherwise ignored) game of online stalking, harassment and silencing techniques.

Once again, ignoring how men treat one another. Further, I don't believe feminists understand human sexuality, as they seem to fuse "objectification of women" with expressions of male heterosexuality.

Quote:The dismissive attitude toward sexual harassment online is particularly virulent in the atheist and secular community, as evidenced by the misogynistic outpouring that followed prominent atheist Richard Dawkins’ statement belittling women who are harassed by fellow freethinkers. That is one reason why I wanted to create this installation in a location that represented the secular community.

With regards to her claims about her fellow "freethinkers:"

[Image: pN1410D.gif]

Just about anybody who identifies as a "free thinker" doesn't think for themselves.

As far as dismissive mindsets about online harassment, I will leave the floor to TLP:

Quote:The force for this change isn't coming from safety or ethics. Neither is it activism. If you see any group advocating influentially for change in a media they don't own or control, you can double down and split the 10s, the dealer is holding status and quo. No change is possible on someone else's dime, and if what looks like a supermodel approaches you with a microphone and a camera crew, you should run like she's Johnny Carcosa. On occasion what the activists think they want may happen coincidentally to align with what the system wants, and from that moment on they will be lead to believe they are making a difference, which means they're making money for someone else. "Your writing is so muddled." Sorry. Were you better persuaded by the concise prose of Amanda Hess?

Her article seems to be about what could be done to stop anonymous trolls from terrorizing and threatening women. How about prosecuting them, since terroristic threats is already a crime? Unfortunately, as Hess discovers, the police don't care much about online stalking, which is consistent since they don't care about IRL stalking either. But never mind, it's not the problem: misogyny is the problem, amplified 1000x by online anonymity. Anonymity makes the internet mean and gives trolls= men too much power. This is the subtle shift: what starts out as "misogyny is bad" becomes "anonymity facilitates misogyny."

Keeping in mind that actual stalking has never been dealt with in any significant way ever, the desire of a few female writers to curb online anonymity wouldn't be enough to get an @ mention, except that this happens to coincide with what the media wants, and now we have the two vectors summing to form a public health crisis. "Cyberbullying is a huge problem!" Yes, but not because it is hurtful, HA! no one cares about your feelings-- but because criticism makes women want to be more private-- and the privacy of the women is bad. The women have to be online, they do most of the clicking and receive most of the clicks. Anonymous cyberbullying is a barrier to increasing consumption, it's gotta go.

Old Chinese Man Wrote:  why you wonder how many man another man bang? why you care who bang who mr high school drama man
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2014 03:38 AM by 2Wycked.)
09-17-2014 03:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like 2Wycked's post:
Lizard King, runsonmagic, Matt Forney, WestIndianArchie
DJ-Matt Offline
Hummingbird
Gold Member

RE: A Woman's Room: Creation Of A Fake Cubicle To Highlight Online Harassment Of Females
Pictures of the author:

[Image: amy-199x300.jpg]

[Image: amy.jpg]

[Image: 20120819-121100.jpg]

Puke

Barf

WNB

"The Carousel Stops For No Man" - Tuthmosis
There is no salvation outside the Church
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2014 08:50 AM by DJ-Matt.)
09-17-2014 08:45 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like DJ-Matt's post:
CRR, Mekorig, Biologist
Handsome Creepy Eel Offline
Owl
Gold Member

RE: A Woman's Room: Creation Of A Fake Cubicle To Highlight Online Harassment Of Females
It sickens me that people like this have a big influence on society, media, government policies, law enforcement and so on.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before
09-17-2014 08:49 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Handsome Creepy Eel's post:
CRR, Billy Chubbs, Kingsley Davis
RexImperator Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Creation Of A Fake Cubicle To Highlight Online Harassment Of Females
It sickens me that so many girls nowadays get these sleeves full of tats.

I know some guys will say, "Hey, that's great- a sign of a slut" but I don't even care.

Bella, horrida bella
et Thybrim multo spumantem sanguine cerno
09-17-2014 09:41 AM
[-] The following 12 users Like RexImperator's post:
Days of Broken Arrows, TravelerKai, Handsome Creepy Eel, Benoit, DJ-Matt, HeyPete, Billy Chubbs, TheWastelander, Matt Forney, Professor Fox, Kingsley Davis, Ocelot
TheWastelander Offline
Ostrich

The font on their printout art isn't big enough for me to read. They're oppressing me with their ableism!
09-17-2014 09:51 AM
[-] The following 6 users Like TheWastelander's post:
Days of Broken Arrows, Handsome Creepy Eel, Mekorig, DJ-Matt, Matt Forney, Ocelot
HawkWrites Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

Whoop de doo with the ONLINE harassment of females and their stupid cubicle.

The author sounds like someone who hasn't been on the Internet long enough to realize that everyone harasses everyone online regardless of gender or anything else. Hell, just go to the YouTube comments for almost any video; it goes from on-topic to stupid very quickly.

Don't like it? Turn off the computer and go outside. Trolls go after everyone but the thing with men is that we just walk away from the computer and do something else fun instead of sitting, stewing, and starting the Cycle of Bitching About Bullshit.

-Hawk

Software engineer. Part-time Return of Kings contributor, full-time dickhead.

Bug me on Twitter and read my most recent substantial article: Regrets

Last Return of Kings article: An Insider's Guide to the Masculine Profession of Software Development
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2014 10:33 AM by HawkWrites.)
09-17-2014 10:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Days of Broken Arrows Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: A Woman's Room: Creation Of A Fake Cubicle To Highlight Online Harassment Of
Actually, I agree with them that there should be an art project called "A Woman's Room."

In fact, I submitted an idea to these women, hoping I could be a contributor. For whatever reason, I never heard back about my design:
[Image: doghouse400.jpg]
09-17-2014 11:19 AM
[-] The following 9 users Like Days of Broken Arrows's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel, CRR, HawkWrites, Avon Barksdale, DJ-Matt, Matt Forney, Kingsley Davis, Ocelot, Sumanguru
kbell Offline
Crow
Gold Member

That even uglier chick with her looks awfully familiar. I think their was thread about her too.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2014 12:33 PM by kbell.)
09-17-2014 12:29 PM
Alpharius Offline
Kingfisher
Gold Member

(09-17-2014 03:34 AM)2Wycked Wrote:  [Image: pN1410D.gif]

Best gif award goes to 2Wycked

If you are going to impose your will on the world, you must have control over what you believe.

Data Sheet Minneapolis / Data Sheet St. Paul / Data Sheet Northern MN/BWCA / Data Sheet Duluth
09-17-2014 01:16 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Alpharius's post:
2Wycked
kaotic Offline
Owl
Gold Member

RE: A Woman's Room: Creation Of A Fake Cubicle To Highlight Online Harassment
Perhaps they can add a rape booth to this art exhibit featuring yours truly:

[Image: attachment.php?aid=21438]

My Year in Review Guides 2014|2015|2016

Podcast with H3ltrsk3ltr, Cobra, and Vinman.

IF YOU HAVE DECIDED TO LEAVE RVF FEEL FREE TO DIRECT MESSAGE ME SO WE CAN STAY IN TOUCH
09-17-2014 01:32 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like kaotic's post:
TheWastelander, BadWolf
Trim Offline
Banned

Hateful comments are a part of being on the net for everyone, if you don't like it, get off. Idiots.
09-17-2014 02:24 PM
AnonymousBosch Away
Crow
Gold Member

RE: A Woman's Room: Creation...
(09-17-2014 08:45 AM)DJ-Matt Wrote:  Pictures of the author:

I spoke in another thread of what try-hard rebel girls like Rachel Haywire turn into in their forties, and how sexually-unattractive it is.

Case in point.

Trim Wrote:Hateful comments are a part of being on the net for everyone, if you don't like it, get off. Idiots.

Females are solipsistic and are incapable of sympathy for men and their problems, including the ones they profess to 'love'. This either means they don't notice online-abuse happens to men as well, or, what I think is more likely: they see it happens to men, but they simply don't care because it's not happening to them; their current problems are far worse than whatever could be happening in our lives; and we only exist as objects to supply what they currently desire from us, and therefore aren't autonomous human beings capable of feeling.

My bangs are always telling me I never talk about my feelings. What they mean is "I want you to talk about your feelings FOR ME," and that is all they mean.
09-17-2014 03:58 PM
[-] The following 11 users Like AnonymousBosch's post:
Days of Broken Arrows, Kaii, Deuce Anna Half, Kingsley Davis, Ocelot, DJ-Matt, Saga, Matt Forney, Sumanguru, HeyPete, polar
Deuce Anna Half Offline
Woodpecker
Silver Member

(09-17-2014 02:24 PM)Trim Wrote:  Hateful comments are a part of being on the net for everyone, if you don't like it, get off. Idiots.

Going on a tangent here but this is the thing that irks me most when SJWs bitch about women getting "harassed" when they play video games online. If I had a penny for every time somebody called me a name, threatened me with violence, or talked about fucking a female in my family when I was on Xbox Live I could buy Microsoft. Is it "traumatic"? No. Did I ever once feel threatened? Nope.

It's a faceless voice on the internet, they're either busting balls or mad because they're losing, and it's easy to talk reckless when you don't have to worry about getting punched in the mouth for it. Either laugh, come up with some shit to snap back with, or mute, and then go on about your life.
09-17-2014 04:33 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Deuce Anna Half's post:
TheWastelander
kbell Offline
Crow
Gold Member

Her Name is Jen McCreight #9 of this. http://www.returnofkings.com/2099/the-9-...-feminists
09-17-2014 04:35 PM
TheWastelander Offline
Ostrich

(09-17-2014 04:33 PM)Deuce Anna Half Wrote:  
(09-17-2014 02:24 PM)Trim Wrote:  Hateful comments are a part of being on the net for everyone, if you don't like it, get off. Idiots.

Going on a tangent here but this is the thing that irks me most when SJWs bitch about women getting "harassed" when they play video games online. If I had a penny for every time somebody called me a name, threatened me with violence, or talked about fucking a female in my family when I was on Xbox Live I could buy Microsoft. Is it "traumatic"? No. Did I ever once feel threatened? Nope.

It's a faceless voice on the internet, they're either busting balls or mad because they're losing, and it's easy to talk reckless when you don't have to worry about getting punched in the mouth for it. Either laugh, come up with some shit to snap back with, or mute, and then go on about your life.

I remember back when MW2 first came out some kid sent me a message threatening to kill and rape my family because I kicked his ass. So I found him online and followed him server to server, kicking his ass at every turn and boxing him in corners with a riot shield if I ended up on the same team as him.

He eventually ragequit after an hour or so of this.

These attention whores just want attention, money, and validation from their ugly fat supporters/friends.
09-17-2014 04:51 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheWastelander's post:
Sumanguru
aphelion Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

You can't get harassed in the kitchen.

Check out my occasionally updated travel thread - The Wroclaw Gambit II: Dzięki Bogu - as I prepare to emigrate to Poland.
09-17-2014 07:00 PM
[-] The following 9 users Like aphelion's post:
Days of Broken Arrows, Kingsley Davis, Lizard King, DJ-Matt, Slim Shady, Matt Forney, Sumanguru, HeyPete, lskdfjldsf
Kingsley Davis Offline
Ostrich

(09-17-2014 03:58 PM)AnonymousBosch Wrote:  
(09-17-2014 08:45 AM)DJ-Matt Wrote:  Pictures of the author:

I spoke in another thread of what try-hard rebel girls like Rachel Haywire turn into in their forties, and how sexually-unattractive it is.

Case in point.

Trim Wrote:Hateful comments are a part of being on the net for everyone, if you don't like it, get off. Idiots.

Females are solipsistic and are incapable of sympathy for men and their problems, including the ones they profess to 'love'. This either means they don't notice online-abuse happens to men as well, or, what I think is more likely: they see it happens to men, but they simply don't care because it's not happening to them; their current problems are far worse than whatever could be happening in our lives; and we only exist as objects to supply what they currently desire from us, and therefore aren't autonomous human beings capable of feeling.

My bangs are always telling me I never talk about my feelings. What they mean is "I want you to talk about your feelings FOR ME," and that is all they mean.

One of my future male descendants mantra.

"Some people don't think it be like it is but it do".
09-17-2014 08:13 PM
DJ-Matt Offline
Hummingbird
Gold Member

(09-17-2014 04:35 PM)kbell Wrote:  Her Name is Jen McCreight #9 of this. http://www.returnofkings.com/2099/the-9-...-feminists

Ah-ha! I knew she looked familiar! She's the star of our "This thread is NSFW" picture.

09-18-2014 10:00 AM
HawkWrites Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

(09-18-2014 10:00 AM)DJ-Matt Wrote:  
(09-17-2014 04:35 PM)kbell Wrote:  Her Name is Jen McCreight #9 of this. http://www.returnofkings.com/2099/the-9-...-feminists

Ah-ha! I knew she looked familiar! She's the star of our "This thread is NSFW" picture.

I would still bend her over and lay my STEM pipe deep in her Cavern of Learning with a rack like that.

-Hawk

Last Return of Kings article: An Insider's Guide to the Masculine Profession of Software Development
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2014 10:39 AM by HawkWrites.)
09-18-2014 10:39 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Double Salad Offline
Sparrow

RE: A Woman's Room: Creation Of A Fake Cubicle To Highlight
Quote:@rebeccawatson Hope Dawkins will bestially rape you... in The Elevator to Hell!

Sounds soo Hawt...!!!
BananatardBanana
09-18-2014 11:28 AM
BadWolf Offline
Banned

09-18-2014 12:00 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes BadWolf's post:
infowarrior1
Sumanguru Offline
Kingfisher

Try being on Xbox Live and letting them know (through an accent or speech pattern or whatever) that you're black. Watch the racial insults flow like water. *Shrug* I just care about winning. And that's why men rule the world.
09-18-2014 12:20 PM
HawkWrites Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

(09-18-2014 12:20 PM)Sumanguru Wrote:  

Try being on Xbox Live and letting them know (through an accent or speech pattern or whatever) that you're black. Watch the racial insults flow like water. *Shrug* I just care about winning. And that's why men rule the world.

Prior to Xbox Live I never knew that many people had fucked my mother. What a slut tard

-Hawk

09-18-2014 01:40 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes HawkWrites's post:
etshella
iop890 Offline
Crow
Gold Member

(09-18-2014 10:39 AM)HawkWrites Wrote:  
(09-18-2014 10:00 AM)DJ-Matt Wrote:  

I would still bend her over and lay my STEM pipe deep in her Cavern of Learning with a rack like that.

[Image: 1350417985439.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2014 03:44 PM by iop890.)
09-18-2014 03:43 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like iop890's post:
LeBeau, HawkWrites
DJ-Matt Offline
Hummingbird
Gold Member

Tuthmosis Wrote:    

09-19-2014 11:15 AM