I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Homemade Protein Bars
cmrocks Offline
Recovering Beta

Homemade Protein Bars
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has a good recipe for homemade protein bars? I like the convenience of bars but commercially made bars are terrible; full of sugar, soy products and artificial sweeteners etc.

I'm looking for something that is ideally easy to make in large quantities and can be kept in the freezer so I can just grab one a day.

Thanks
11-05-2014 09:44 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes cmrocks's post:
Giovonny
FretDancer Offline
True Player

RE: Homemade Protein Bars
(11-05-2014 09:44 AM)cmrocks Wrote:  Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has a good recipe for homemade protein bars? I like the convenience of bars but commercially made bars are terrible; full of sugar, soy products and artificial sweeteners etc.

I'm looking for something that is ideally easy to make in large quantities and can be kept in the freezer so I can just grab one a day.

Thanks

Then maybe you would like to give Protein Fluff a try.
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2014 09:51 AM by FretDancer.)
11-05-2014 09:50 AM
ryanf Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

Buy tubs of unsweetened, natural greek yogurt, add honey and cinnamon, enjoy a 20g protein serving food with almost no filler. It's going to be considerably cheaper than commercial protein bars, and probably even more so than you can make yourself.

Quest bars are great and have almost no filler, but they are $$$. MikeCF has recommended them before. They ship on amazon and taste awesome, but run around $3/bar (when you factor in taxes and shipping).

Uncle Hank from Requiem for a Dream is my spirit animal
11-05-2014 10:50 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ryanf's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel
Arado Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

(11-05-2014 10:50 AM)ryanf Wrote:  Buy tubs of unsweetened, natural greek yogurt, add honey and cinnamon, enjoy a 20g protein serving food with almost no filler. It's going to be considerably cheaper than commercial protein bars, and probably even more so than you can make yourself.

Quest bars are great and have almost no filler, but they are $$$. MikeCF has recommended them before. They ship on amazon and taste awesome, but run around $3/bar (when you factor in taxes and shipping).

Website looks pretty legit, gonna give them a try. Definitely tired of the soy and sugar in the bars from costco.
11-05-2014 11:16 AM
Seth_Rose Offline
Alpha Male
Gold Member

My dad has a good recipe, I'll have to ask him for it later. However, these bars only have a few grams of protein.

It's hard to get a significant amount of protein in homemade bars compared to store bought ones. If you're going to go the store bought route, Quest Bars are pretty good but they're pricey like ryanf wrote. Don't settle for any of that soy crap either.

Blog - Twitter
11-05-2014 11:23 AM
birdie num num Offline
Recovering Beta

Check out Scooby's bulking bars. I've taken his recipe and modified it to my own taste. I eat them every afternoon before working out. They are nutritious and calorie dense.

I usually use a peanut butter base, but sometimes I'll substitute almond butter when affordable.

Plenty of mixed nuts and seeds are added. Everything from pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, walnuts, sunflower seeds, hemp seeds and cashews.

Sometimes I add Meyenberg brand powdered goat milk instead of cow's milk. You could probably add a quality protein powder.

The cocoa powder is omitted because it contains caffeine. Eating one with cocoa in the afternoon was causing fitful sleep. Cocoa eliminated, normal sleep resumed.

I use a small amount of unsulphered blackstrap molasses instead of honey. Molasses has a robust flavor and it contains a significant amount of magnesium and iron.

“When you're born into this world, you're given a ticket to the freak show. If you're born in America you get a front row seat.”

- George Carlin
(This post was last modified: 11-05-2014 04:11 PM by birdie num num.)
11-05-2014 04:08 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes birdie num num's post:
Giovonny
heavy Offline
True Player
Gold Member

Fresh made protein bars. Nothing special, just natural peanut butter, coco, muscle milk, dry non-fat milk, oats, some honey.

I started with Scooby's bulk bars, then I just wing it from there.

“Until you make the unconscious conscious, it will direct your life and you will call it fate.”
06-22-2015 03:22 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like heavy's post:
samsamsam, ball dont lie, Giovonny, Handsome Creepy Eel
Mocktoberfest Offline
Male Feminist

Made these before, not too bad for the time and effort involved.

http://darebee.com/recipes/homemade-no-b...-bars.html
06-23-2015 12:05 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Mocktoberfest's post:
Giovonny, freshlife
NO_LIMIT_CRACKA Offline
Banned

I haven't tried making any protein bars, but I've had some pretty good success with homemade protein cheesecakes. They keep well in the freezer/fridge, are easy to portion out, are very satiating with a high protein content but still taste sweet like a normal cake.

370g Philadelphia Cream cheese Milka Chocolate flavor
140g low fat greek yoghurt
100g protein whey
2 whole eggs

stir together, pour into a shape, put in the oven at 150°C for 60 minutes, after that let it sit in the oven for 1 more hour, take it out, let it cool by itself at room temperature, then put in the fridge overnight. It comes out in a good stable shape, doesn't crumble, no additional sugar needed because it's sweet by itself. Divide in 8 pieces and each piece will be ~220cals with 25g of protein. It's kind of a "base recipe", you can play around with the flavor by switching out the taste of the Philadelphia cream cheese or the whey itself or by mixing in some fruits. Also made some dope strawberry cheese cake

Nowadays, at any given day, I've got a protein cheese cake and protein ice cream sitting in the fridge, portioned out, ready to be eaten. It takes quite a lot of thinking and planning out of your head when you know that you can also just eat some tasty dessert that'll add a bunch of protein to your day, taste good while not adding much calories.
(This post was last modified: 06-23-2015 05:19 AM by NO_LIMIT_CRACKA.)
06-23-2015 05:14 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like NO_LIMIT_CRACKA's post:
heavy, BBinger
OBERYN_ Offline
Banned

This recipe combines the good fats and nutrients in various nuts, together with whey protein for an easy-to-make bar that's low in carbs, high in protein, and full of healthy fats.

nut bar
Ingredients
3/4 cup pecan meal

3/4 cup almond meal

1/4 cup walnut pieces

2 whole omega-3 eggs plus 2 whites, beaten

6 scoops vanilla Metabolic Drive

1/4 teaspoon salt

Splenda, to taste (optional)

Instructions
To make the pecan and almond meal, process the nuts in a blender. Mix everything together in a large bowl, and continue stirring until all of the ingredients have mixed together thoroughly. Spread the dough into an 8X8-inch baking dish coated with olive oil cooking spray, and bake for 15 minutes at 350-degrees F.

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Difficulty Level: Easy

Servings: 6

Nutritional Information, Per Serving

Calories (k/cal)

Protein (g)

Carbohydrates (g)

fiber (g)

sugars (g)

Fat (g)

SFA (g)

MUFA (g)

PUFA (g)

Omega-3 (g)

Omega-6 (g)

07-06-2015 02:22 PM
spalex Offline
Wingman

I do love protein bars for when I am not at home the day after working out. I usually have about 6 in my fridge at all times.
But shit, I have a lot of protein powder. It sounds like a lot of work making slab of protein cake and then chopping it up into 4 bars.

Protein shakes seem a bit more convenient.

The less fucks you give, the more fucks you get.
07-07-2015 06:39 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Whey Protein Denaturing FeeltheBern 28 11,652 02-11-2019 08:43 AM
Last Post: TeachNExplore
  Review your protein powder here. porscheguy 14 1,558 02-08-2019 08:38 PM
Last Post: Sidney Crosby
  Protein Shakes RaulValdez739 136 65,600 07-05-2018 05:29 PM
Last Post: General Stalin