Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Why do so many middle aged men feel so lost? (Telegraph, UK)
SlickyBoy Offline
Ostrich

Why do so many middle aged men feel so lost? (Telegraph, UK)
I'm not buying the explanations inserted by the SJW journalists in between the personal accounts of these middle aged men, but their situations are probably real. Suicide is a pretty shitty alternative to breaking free, but to some extent it's understandable - why would any self respecting guy want to go on living the life of a house cat if he's essentially been made redundant?

Quote:Why do so many middle-aged men feel so lost?
Caught between baby-boomers and Generation Y, today’s middle-aged men increasingly see themselves as lost souls. Lucy Cavendish lends an ear

'I am surplus to society’s requirement, like one of those lone male deer that performs no function at all' Photo: Alamy
I am sitting by the swimming pool at the Canyon Ranch resort in Tucson, Arizona, only it is not really a resort, it is a fitness/wellness/life-enhancing centre where people who are very stressed come to detox and, as I am discovering, “find” themselves. But this resort is not brimming with stressed-out women, worn thin and ragged by juggling motherhood, wifedom and being the heads of companies. No. The classes here are full of men – men with great big identity issues.
There is 45-year-old Lee, who has just “gotten divorced” and has, in the course of a month, slept with 15 women. “I don’t see myself as that type of man,” he says, “but I feel so lonely and I don’t know what to do with my life.” There is Ryan, aged 53, who has never married and is in crisis about why he hasn’t. Then there is Steve, 49, a travel agent, long-time married, who has hit a midlife crisis. He says he really does want to buy a Harley-Davidson and head off down Route 66. “Is that wrong?” he asks. “I just don’t know what I want in my life anymore.”
They are all part of a “sandwich generation”: they sit between the baby boomers and the digital natives. And they are a group who have, according to recent statistics, lost their way. The Samaritans Suicide Statistics Report for 2014 shows that men aged 40-44 are the demographic group with the highest rate of suicide, nearly four times that of women the same age; for those aged 45-54, the rate is roughly three times higher for men than women. New data from the Office of National Statistics confirm those findings. And although the statistics aren’t always straightforward (there may be under-reporting of female suicides), things aren’t getting better: while the male rate fell for most of the past decade, since 2012 it has been back on the rise.
In the Samaritans report about the data, Professor Rory O’Connor, then the head of the suicidal behaviour research group at Stirling University, said that the focus had shifted over recent decades from younger men being more at risk of suicide to middle-aged men.
“Men currently in their midyears are caught between their traditional silent, strong and austere fathers who went to work and provided for their families, and the more progressive, open and individualistic generation of their sons. They do not know which of these two very different ways of life and masculine culture they should follow.”

The pressure to live up to what the report describes as a “masculine ‘gold standard’ which prizes power, control and invincibility” can turn personal troubles such as losing a job into a crisis in a way that it might not for women. The sense of suffering “defeat as a man” can be more acute in middle age, when the responsibilities are greatest.

The result? Men of this generation are in crisis. We often focus on teenage boys and their problems, ranging from depression to delinquency, or on women and their role in society, from young and single to working mother to stay-at-home woman. Yet we rarely look at the role of men, especially middle-aged men – and the problem does not only apply to those who have suffered from the familiar seismic shifts in their lives, such as divorce or the loss of a job.

Why do middle-aged men feel as though they're on a road to nowhere? (ALAMY)
As my friend Tom, a counsellor, says, “Whereas women stride forwards and get themselves together, [in general] men just don’t do that. They like things to remain as they were. They don’t like change. They like women to support them, really, so they are emotionally or spiritually or physically lazy. Some are all three and this laziness is very prevalent in the sandwich generation men, and it often leaves them lost, lonely and drifting towards an uncertain future when they should be at an age whereby everything is settled.”

Obviously not all men are like this, but there does seem to be a preponderance of men over the age of 45 who feel as if they are on the scrap-heap. Take this as an example: a few weeks ago I was at a friend’s 50th birthday party. It was great fun but most of the men I talked to were in some form of meltdown. One of them – never married, no kids – hadn’t had a job for the past five years and was working unpaid as a carer. It occurred to me that, for a man aged 52, this was quite an odd situation to be in, no wife or kids or money or even a house to call his own. I asked if he was happy about this. He shook his head vehemently.

“Not at all,” he said. He then explained that “it” just hadn’t happened for him. Girlfriends had come and gone. He had found it hard to commit – and not just, as the cliché goes, in his relationships. He had flitted from one job to another, never quite finding the “thing” he wanted to do. He had worked for a bank but never felt he fitted in. So he had left that job and retrained as a landscape gardener, and that hadn’t suited him either, although he had liked the outdoors element of it. This became a pattern, a shifting life with seemingly no purpose.

“I feel I am lost now,” he said, “and it’s too late to change things. I am surplus to society’s requirement, like one of those lone male deer that performs no function at all and gets forced from the herd because of it.”

Suicide rates (per 100,000) among men, by age group, 2001-2013. Source: ONS
After him I bumped into more men, all seemingly versions of the same. The divorced ones were all miserable, most of them lamenting the terrible downturn their lives had taken – no house (gone to the ex), no kids (gone to the ex), no future (what’s the point?).

A friend of mine, Henry, 50, who divorced seven years ago, considers himself as part of a group he refers to as “remaindered men”. “It is the sense that we colluded in the process of making ourselves surplus to requirement,” he explains. “We married capable women who took over every aspect of life. They ran the household, the children, the social life. For a while it seems a good meal ticket to be on, but in the end the horrible logic of the process results in us being without any kind of a role at all and not much self-confidence to find another one within the existing framework.

“We are caught between the old model of being the breadwinner and the new model of being the co-washer-upper and feeder, and the truth is we never really mastered either of these roles – old or new – and this has led to a profound sense of crisis in men. Unless you really are able to look back at what happened, you can’t move on.

“The immediate reaction to divorce is to sink into a slump of despair, but then you turn into a teenager again – it’s the false paradise of endless encounters with new women. Men lost their way when they stopped going out and killing the food or bringing in the bacon. I feel my generation of men inhabit a place that I call neutered uselessness. We are reactive rather than proactive. Many of us have lost our self-confidence and self-respect, and become insular and inward-looking.”

It is certainly true that changes in the economy in recent decades, with a shift away from manufacturing, have removed a source of male pride, identity and companionship. And psychological studies (such as a 2013 survey of 10,000 people published in the journal Economica which examined the way in which we adjust to new circumstances) show that women are better able to adjust in the wake of a major life change. In divorce, for instance, women typically come out marginally happier even though they often suffer a bigger financial hit; the Economica survey showed that men tend to be especially badly knocked by unemployment, an effect that persists for up to five years.

Sebastian Morley, a former commander in the SAS who has seen tours in Northern Ireland, Iraq and Afghanistan, agrees that men have lost their way. “I find them hard to deal with,” he says. “They are either super-competitive or massively defeatist.”

He runs courses for women at The Camp, a weight-loss and fitness boot camp based in Scotland. “I find women are motivated, eager, easy to deal with and naturally empathetic towards each other,” Morley says. “There is a spirit that exists between women that really kicks in when they are in difficulties. They help each other and they are also more willing and able to talk about their hopes and fears. This is why women can change their lives around – they have that mutable ability to do what is best for them and their families.”

This part strikes me as extreme BS:
Quote:He did consider doing a similar course for men but decided against it. “I have seen how men react to each other. They cannot pull together. They can be very aggressive in trying to outdo each other. It makes them impossible to work with.”

Uh, yeah - then why do so many women hate working with other women and prefer to have men as bosses? Somebody massaged this data point just a bit.

Quote:The troubles of men rarely get our attention (GETTY)
I spent a week with Morley and his right-hand man, Dale House, a former marine who is young, super-fit and handsome. For House, married and a step-parent, life is quite simple: being a man means to work and provide as well as being supportive to his partner. On the one hand he is a Real Man (very strong on boundaries, earns money); on the other, he is touchy-feely. His wife also works and he is supportive towards her and their daughter.

“I see myself as a traditional man really,” he says. “I am focused on what I want. I lay down the rules but they are thoughtful ones. I love and support my partner and her daughter, whom I consider as my own, and I think our family functions very well because of this. I am very clear in my expectations but I am very warm.” He agrees that many men today are “lost”, and believes “they need a stint in the Army following rules and discipline and turning in to proper men”.

But is it as simple as that? The younger generation seems to have become more metrosexual. They cook, clean and take care of their children. They use grooming products and wax their bits and are far more “feminised” than the 40-plus-something men I am meeting: since 2013, sales of male-specific toiletries have surpassed shaving products.

It's like Roosh said - we have to groom ourselves more than cats just to get laid.

Quote:So are the middle-aged men I meet part of a lost generation? Too old for male manicures and too young to be the breadwinner, the Real Man laying down the law with a wife at home who fixes them a G&T when they get back from work?

Terry Real, a psychologist and the author of How Can I Get Through to You? Reconnecting Men and Women, thinks the time has come for men to readjust their sights. Our culture’s masculine code, he says, dictates that “men don’t need relationships, men don’t need to be connected, men don’t need to be heartfelt”.

Well, we kinda don't.

Quote:The answer, Real says, is to understand and then reject that old, outdated part of the masculine code, which gave a sense of entitlement, a sense that men can “go home, rip open our belts, pop open a beer, belch and be loved. We just don’t get away with that anymore.”

SJW sabotage bullshit detector going off here. More brainwashing - nice try.
Quote:As for Henry, he has hope. He has recently found a job, has a new partner and has come off the dole. “It’s a start,” he says. “You’ve got to start somewhere, haven’t you? Even when you’re 50.”

Methinks Henry started reading this forum.

Twitter: @_slickyboy
Occasional contributor at Return of Kings (while it lasted)
02-27-2015 06:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes SlickyBoy's post:
Troll King
Quintus Curtius Offline
Crow
Gold Member

RE: Why do so many middle aged men feel so lost? (Telegraph, UK)
They feel lost because they don't yet read ROK, RVF, or follow our guidance.

That will be changing in the years ahead.

| qcurtius.com | Twitter
02-27-2015 07:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 26 users Like Quintus Curtius's post:
Avon Barksdale, The Reactionary Tree, SlickyBoy, MMX2010, Dusty, eradicator, philosophical_recovery, Tactician, Feisbook Control, Travesty, Frank Rook, Ibagemyoutagem, Vacancier Permanent, vinman, DjembaDjemba, Handsome Creepy Eel, Benoit, DJ-Matt, YossariansRight, Saweeep, Troll King, Icarus, Libertas, Akula, Farmageddon, freeuser
The Reactionary Tree Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

Oh the male hamsters are spinning in this article...

Malehamster

Look at the the generation they are talking about: The Baby Boomers.

This is the generation that chose to stick their thumb up at the evil white cis-hetero patriarchy of the 1950s and embrace the tenets of Cultural Marxism. Fuck those people. Maybe if they didn't spend so much of their youth smoking dope & embracing feminism, then they wouldn't be a bunch of lost man children.

Quote:The answer, Real says, is to understand and then reject that old, outdated part of the masculine code, which gave a sense of entitlement, a sense that men can “go home, rip open our belts, pop open a beer, belch and be loved. We just don’t get away with that anymore.”

No wonder they are fucking lost. They think that's what being a man is about. The type of man I envision to be that guy is a fat Homer Simpson type who lays around eating pizza and getting fat. Rotting his mind away with television. You want a sexy wife who loves you? Then you need to be a sexy man who loves his wife how she wants to be loved (hint: with game). If you let yourself go as a man, then you should not be surprised if your wife lets herself go.

Cracking open a beer after work? I did that for a while before I came to this community. I was in a dark place then. Because one beer turned into a couple beers and it became an everyday sort of ordeal. Now that I have been here, I only drink at social gatherings or on dates & its not a lot either.

Quote:I am sitting by the swimming pool at the Canyon Ranch resort in Tucson, Arizona, only it is not really a resort, it is a fitness/wellness/life-enhancing centre where people who are very stressed come to detox and, as I am discovering, “find” themselves. But this resort is not brimming with stressed-out women, worn thin and ragged by juggling motherhood, wifedom and being the heads of companies. No. The classes here are full of men – men with great big identity issues.

I bet these men do have identity issues. It's because the identities they were supposed to have embraced, they instead demonized as "toxic" masculinity. Back in my drinking days I mentioned earlier, I was in the midst of an identity crisis. I was lost. This was literally about a year ago. I had kind of a rock bottom moment. Now I am found. These men need to get the fuck out of that resort and log on to Roosh V Forum. They need to read The Rational Male and The Way of Men and other great books. They need to get back to the gym.

Quote:One of them – never married, no kids – hadn’t had a job for the past five years and was working unpaid as a carer. It occurred to me that, for a man aged 52, this was quite an odd situation to be in, no wife or kids or money or even a house to call his own. I asked if he was happy about this. He shook his head vehemently.

That would be troubling. I dont think I will be single forever. I would like get married and start a family one day. I am not eager to jump into one though whereas in the past I would have been because I was coming from a scarcity mindset. I had the fear of "oh no, I if I dont get married by 30 I will die alone." The man above is 52. According to Rollo's SMV graph, you peak around 35. If you are a guy who is looking to get married, I would cash in by 40. If you want to be a player, then play on. Somehow I bet the 52yo man in question is not a red pill player.

The forum may not like it but having no children & never being married after the age of 40 in men makes people looking at you suspiciously. Your situation will differ based on where you are. Unless you are Clooney or DiCaprio, your SMV is dwindling. It's kind of like how we laugh at all the single barren women in their 30s who think they still got it. Yea, some of them do. To be honest they had more of it 10 years ago. And we all know why they are so eager to settle down now. Their SMV is falling faster than a sack of potatoes and they need to find someone fast. If they wanted a husband or children, why haven't they found one yet? What is wrong with them?

Ultimately, these men are lost because they rejected all the values that would have given them their masculine identities. They don't know who they are. I've been there before. I have been in relationships where the honeymoon period is over and I just feel unhappy with myself and I didn't know why. It's not like something bad happened in the relationship. I know why now. I was basing my identity as a man on the validation I got from women. That is not what makes you a man. That is not masculinity.

I feel sorry for those guys but their generation did this not only to themselves but to the entirety of Western Civilization. That's why Gen X and Gen Y men are lost as well. The link was broken by the boomers.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2015 08:03 PM by The Reactionary Tree.)
02-27-2015 07:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 16 users Like The Reactionary Tree's post:
philosophical_recovery, Tactician, spokepoker, Paracelsus, Tytalus, Isaac Jordan, zombiejimmorrison, Monty_Brogan, Hannibal, vinman, DJ-Matt, Samseau, YossariansRight, Saweeep, Troll King, Libertas
SlickyBoy Offline
Ostrich

They're not talking about boomers, but Gen X, really - the boomers are way past their fifties and still acting like overgrown children.

Though yes, I agree wholeheartedly - fuck those people for accelerating the decline.

Twitter: @_slickyboy
Occasional contributor at Return of Kings (while it lasted)
02-27-2015 08:01 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like SlickyBoy's post:
azulsombra, Icarus
LINUX Away
Ostrich
Gold Member

I think one of the hardest things in life is when someone tells you that you're too old to do something. Many of these men feel like their life has already passed and gone and now it's too late. They never lived.
02-27-2015 08:32 PM
[-] The following 11 users Like LINUX's post:
The Reactionary Tree, Tactician, , polar, Bobco, vinman, Brodiaga, DJ-Matt, Icarus, HeyPete, Libertas
Dusty Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

Quote:There is 45-year-old Lee, who has just “gotten divorced” and has, in the course of a month, slept with 15 women. “I don’t see myself as that type of man,” he says, “but I feel so lonely and I don’t know what to do with my life.”

Either p4p or lying or:

Gamerecognized

Given his quote, I doubt he's a playa.
(This post was last modified: 02-27-2015 08:36 PM by Dusty.)
02-27-2015 08:35 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like Dusty's post:
komatiite, vinman, Handsome Creepy Eel, Pontifex Maximus, Icarus
Tactician Offline
Kingfisher

What the fuck is a male-specific toiletry?
02-27-2015 09:04 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Tactician's post:
Feisbook Control, Icarus
Vaun Offline
Hummingbird
Gold Member

the great social experiment is coming to a head, and men would rather throw themselves off a bridge than deal with it.

The whole "these men have not developed their masculine identities" argument is naive and immature. Its precisely the opposite happening; most of these men have followed societies script of marriage and children, but then find they are divorced raped, broken and broke by middle age. Then they never learn there are more options, or not to give a fuck about societies requirements for men. They attempt marriage, have children, and are gutted emotionally, physically, financially by the inevitable divorce.

Dont get married, unless you want to end up like one of these chumps.
02-27-2015 09:54 PM
[-] The following 9 users Like Vaun's post:
Goldin Boy, vinman, Quintus Curtius, YossariansRight, arcterex, Icarus, Troll King, freeuser, Libertas
Ingocnito Offline
Pelican

(02-27-2015 08:01 PM)SlickyBoy Wrote:  They're not talking about boomers, but Gen X, really - the boomers are way past their fifties and still acting like overgrown children.

Though yes, I agree wholeheartedly - fuck those people for accelerating the decline.

My ex's parents are boomers, in their early 60s, and still drinking daily like it's partyville 24/7. And the old man had a stroke, shit he even smokes weed. While it was disheartening he had the stroke, which ironically he made a full recovery from after they yanked out the clot, it's very hard to feel a lot of remorse for people that age who laugh at their health.

Naturally, it's no wonder their daughter, who "claims" to realize her parent's mistakes, turned out to be head fucked. Nice role models.
02-27-2015 10:32 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ingocnito's post:
Icarus
RawGod Offline
Hummingbird
Gold Member

As we know, the mainstream media is full 24/7 of articles about women's issues, women's lives, women's problems. When a rare article like this comes up, the impression is "hey, what about those dudes? Seems they're not doing so great. Oh well, let's click through to a D-list celeb making racist comments."

Never forget it's women's media, for women and by women.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

I have had this sig since 2015 and received thousands of post likes; yet not one person has commented on my sig. Perhaps you're familiar with the work it parodies? Let me know!
02-27-2015 10:44 PM
[-] The following 7 users Like RawGod's post:
Feisbook Control, Kingsley Davis, Vaun, sixsix, vinman, Quintus Curtius, freeuser
Deuce Anna Half Offline
Woodpecker
Silver Member

(02-27-2015 10:44 PM)RawGod Wrote:  As we know, the mainstream media is full 24/7 of articles about women's issues, women's lives, women's problems. When a rare article like this comes up, the impression is "hey, what about those dudes? Seems they're not doing so great. Oh well, let's click through to a D-list celeb making racist comments."

Never forget it's women's media, for women and by women.

Don't forget, whatever problems these guys are facing, it's always the fault of "the patriarchy" and "toxic masculinity".

Divorce and/or child-support raped? Patriarchy™'s fault.
No purpose in life? Toxic masculinity.
Struggling to find work? That damn Patriarchy™ again.

"She could be reciting Confuscious, making pho and ramen at the same damn time, and avenging her master's killer - no amount of Asian is gonna make that attractive." - WIA
02-27-2015 10:58 PM
[-] The following 8 users Like Deuce Anna Half's post:
Feisbook Control, zombiejimmorrison, Kingsley Davis, Handsome Creepy Eel, DJ-Matt, YossariansRight, Icarus, freeuser
draketton Offline
Banned

(02-27-2015 08:35 PM)Dusty Wrote:  
Quote:There is 45-year-old Lee, who has just “gotten divorced” and has, in the course of a month, slept with 15 women. “I don’t see myself as that type of man,” he says, “but I feel so lonely and I don’t know what to do with my life.”

Either p4p or lying or:

Gamerecognized

Given his quote, I doubt he's a playa.

dumpster diver was my first instinct

having his way with the barren ghouls of his city
02-27-2015 11:28 PM
rpg Offline
Ostrich
Silver Member

This article describes women more than it does men. Funny how that works.
02-27-2015 11:40 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like rpg's post:
N°6, Kingsley Davis, vinman, YossariansRight, Icarus
polar Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

Quote:Why do so many middle-aged men feel so lost? Lucy Cavendish lends an ear

Glad we have an insightful woman here to shed some light on men's psychology.

Spoiler: it turns out we just need more feminism and gender equality. Suspicious

Data Sheet Maps | On Musical Chicks | Rep Point Changes | Au Pairs on a Boat
Spaniard88: "The "believe anything" crew contributes: "She's probably a good girl, maybe she lost her virginity to someone with AIDS and only had sex once before you met her...give her a chance.""
02-28-2015 12:55 AM
[-] The following 13 users Like polar's post:
Kingsley Davis, The Reactionary Tree, Vaun, Ocelot, Feisbook Control, Tactician, vinman, Benoit, DJ-Matt, YossariansRight, DarkTriad, Akula, freeuser
zombiejimmorrison Offline
Woodpecker

(02-27-2015 10:58 PM)Deuce Anna Half Wrote:  Don't forget, whatever problems these guys are facing, it's always the fault of "the patriarchy" and "toxic masculinity".

Divorce and/or child-support raped? Patriarchy™'s fault.
No purpose in life? Toxic masculinity.
Struggling to find work? That damn Patriarchy™ again.

Spot on. Masculinity is always toxic.

This article doesn't know which way to go also, with quotes like these

"psychological studies show that women are better able to adjust in the wake of a major life change. In divorce, for instance, women typically come out marginally happier even though they often suffer a bigger financial hit; the Economica survey showed that men tend to be especially badly knocked by unemployment, an effect that persists for up to five years"

What the fuck is that about, women take a financial hit after divorce. No shit they come out happier when they initiate most of them and get all the support money wise. Emotional support and child custody.

Instead of looking at those criteria this is there reasoning for the suicides.

“Men currently in their midyears are caught between their traditional silent, strong and austere fathers who went to work and provided for their families, and the more progressive, open and individualistic generation of their sons. They do not know which of these two very different ways of life and masculine culture they should follow.”
02-28-2015 02:16 AM
[-] The following 4 users Like zombiejimmorrison's post:
spokepoker, Lizard King, vinman, Libertas
N°6 Offline
Ostrich

(02-27-2015 11:40 PM)rpg Wrote:  This article describes women more than it does men. Funny how that works.

I noticed that too. An article that mentioned high suicide rates for men of a certain age still, somehow, managed to return to women's favourite topic - themselves.
02-28-2015 02:28 AM
[-] The following 12 users Like N°6's post:
zombiejimmorrison, Saga, spokepoker, CRR, Feisbook Control, Kingsley Davis, polar, Lizard King, vinman, Benoit, DJ-Matt, freeuser
Private Man Offline
Kingfisher
Gold Member

Change the pronouns.... then it makes complete sense.

For the record. I'm 52 years old.

READ MY BLOG, DAMMIT.

I gots me teh tweets: @man_private

Competence, confidence, charisma, and dominance. What Manospherians want in all men.
02-28-2015 08:50 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Private Man's post:
Lizard King, Icarus
iknowexactly Offline
Crow
Gold Member

(02-27-2015 08:01 PM)SlickyBoy Wrote:  They're not talking about boomers, but Gen X, really - the boomers are way past their fifties and still acting like overgrown children.

Yes, I am acting like a child.. spending my time with guitars, motorcycles, movie making and girls waaaayyyyy younger...... and I love it. Good thing you are a more serious person, and will be a much more dignified old man.

BananaCat ladyBanana

"The goal of {amoral} capitalism is to reduce all human interaction to the cash nexus." L. D.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2015 09:16 AM by iknowexactly.)
02-28-2015 09:15 AM
[-] The following 5 users Like iknowexactly's post:
NovaVirtu, IvanDrago, RawGod, Vaun, YossariansRight
Guitarman Offline
Pelican

I'm in that age group, being nearly 50 years old. Never married, no kids. And within two years in my early 40s I lost the parent I was closest to, was laid off from my job of 20 years and broke up with a long term partner.

While Id be lying if I was to say I didn't feel at times like the men in this article, the spare male deer etc! I pulled myself out of it, learnt game, had a player phase for a few years and am now establishing my own businesses.

This is the just the kind of shit that happens these days to a mid life man and how you deal with it determines whether becomes a "crisis" or a series of opportunities. Fortunately I had forseen the job loss by several years and prepared myself as best as I could.

Things are tough still, especially financially and time wise often with long hours and 7 day working weeks but is rather be doing something positive about it rather than moping about and going down a dark depressive potentially terminal path.

Not for me, I've got stuff to do!
02-28-2015 09:46 AM
[-] The following 14 users Like Guitarman's post:
Dantes, CRR, RawGod, samsamsam, Kingsley Davis, Lizard King, vinman, N°6, YossariansRight, arcterex, HeyPete, Bear Hands, Akula, freeuser
Hannibal Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

(02-28-2015 02:16 AM)zombiejimmorrison Wrote:  "psychological studies show that women are better able to adjust in the wake of a major life change. In divorce, for instance, women typically come out marginally happier even though they often suffer a bigger financial hit; the Economica survey showed that men tend to be especially badly knocked by unemployment, an effect that persists for up to five years"

Haha, yeah they suffer a financial hit. Instead of getting all of their man's worldly possessions at their filthy fingertips they only get half.

Let's list major life changes.

Death in the family - women get to attention whore before, during, and years after the funeral. Call me cynical but I have seen this happen over and over again in my family.
Marriage - everyone knows women want this. It's awesome for them.
Birth of a kid - like marriage but even better because now when she divorces, she has a responsibility to not get a job. Bonus points if her mom looks after the kid while she goes out to get drunk. How's that for handling "big life changes"?
Divorce - Are you kidding me? This also benefits women. I'm preaching to the choir here.
Unemployment - Even a girl with no marketable skills can get a beta to keep her afloat while she looks for other jobs / other men.

No, the major life change that destroys a female from the inside out is a grinding, slow lack of change.

It's when they hit the wall and realize that men no longer desire them sexually.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2015 10:49 AM by Hannibal.)
02-28-2015 10:46 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Hannibal's post:
Kingsley Davis, freeuser
Foolsgo1d Offline
Peacock

(02-27-2015 09:04 PM)Tactician Wrote:  What the fuck is a male-specific toiletry?

Hair gel, shaving creams and after lotions. Deodorant (body spray), shavers, hair clippers. Basically anything you can use to alter and smooth out your appearance.

A lot of middle aged guys are trucking away with the realisation their pensions are fucked thanks to Labour and the bankers. They're too old to start all over because they have families or a bitch from hell they can't get rid of without resorting to financial ruin.

This doesn't take into account men who are already divorced, desire a new path and have a bad sex life. Basically they are left with scraps.

Meanwhile younger guys are able to adjust quicker and avoid the traps and pitfalls. Never before have so many men go to Asia just to fuck, even if it does include middle aged and old men. These guys wished they were younger to play around throughout the Asian continent.
02-28-2015 11:25 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Foolsgo1d's post:
Lizard King, Tactician, It_is_my_time
MrLemon Offline
Banned

There's an easy solution to a male crisis: start a nice big world war and kill off a few hundred million people.

This has been the preferred solution for all of human history, why change it now?
02-28-2015 12:16 PM
Barron Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

Quote:Why do middle-aged men feel as though they're on a road to nowhere? (ALAMY)
As my friend Tom, a counsellor, says, “Whereas women stride forwards and get themselves together, [in general] men just don’t do that. They like things to remain as they were. They don’t like change. They like women to support them, really, so they are emotionally or spiritually or physically lazy. Some are all three and this laziness is very prevalent in the sandwich generation men, and it often leaves them lost, lonely and drifting towards an uncertain future when they should be at an age whereby everything is settled.”

If a male journalist published this crap about women he would be out of a career.

What's even funnier, if you change the wording so that the quote is about females (of the same age demographics) rather than males, it becomes far more truthful

two scoops
two genders
two terms
(This post was last modified: 02-28-2015 01:08 PM by Barron.)
02-28-2015 01:00 PM
[-] The following 10 users Like Barron's post:
Suits, Lizard King, vinman, Feisbook Control, Kingsley Davis, Ocelot, SupaDorkLooza, YossariansRight, arcterex, freeuser
jimukr104 Offline
Ostrich

Quote:he answer, Real says, is to understand and then reject that old, outdated part of the masculine code, which gave a sense of entitlement, a sense that men can “go home, rip open our belts, pop open a beer, belch and be loved. We just don’t get away with that anymore.”

Guess he/she never been to EE!
02-28-2015 02:29 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes jimukr104's post:
Akula
The Reactionary Tree Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

(02-28-2015 01:00 PM)NomadofEU Wrote:  
Quote:Why do middle-aged men feel as though they're on a road to nowhere? (ALAMY)

If a male journalist published this crap about women he would be out of a career.

What's even funnier, if you change the wording so that the quote is about females (of the same age demographics) rather than males, it becomes far more truthful

I think we have a tendency in this part of the internet to assume that all men are like ourselves. The truth is that most men are not. Most are blue pill. The truth is that most men are really like that: lazy, want to be supported by a woman, etc. Especially nowadays in a society where entitlement is so rampant that most individuals fail to recognize subtle entitlement behaviors.
02-28-2015 02:31 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like The Reactionary Tree's post:
Kingsley Davis, Vaun, YossariansRight, Samseau, HeyPete