Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Business Insider:"US Presidential Candidate promises next-to-eternal biological life"
lido Offline
Banned

Business Insider:"US Presidential Candidate promises next-to-eternal biological life"
"The whole experience of life is crazy and beautiful and precious. We need to protect and preserve that life, at all costs. The only rational way one can do that is with technology and science, which is exactly the principle the Transhumanist Party was formed upon. Transhumanists are a people defined specifically by their love of life.

What would you do if you became president?

We would take large amounts of the defense money and put it into the scientific and medical fields, and especially the life-extension fields. I think the biggest thing I'm running on is, if you voted me in, I would do my best to guarantee you an indefinite lifespan. I know that sounds a little crazy--"Vote for me and I'll give you eternal life!"--but it's true. We believe that with one trillion dollars, within 10 years we would come up with all sorts of anti-aging drugs, age-reversing procedures, and organ printing--because it's organ failure that usually causes death.

I’ve been lucky and grateful that so many people agree with me. Renowned gerontologist Aubrey de Grey has recently signed on as my Anti-aging Advisor. Natasha Vita-More, PhD, who is Chair atHumanity+, is my Transhumanism Advisor. Jose Cordeiro, PhD, faculty at Singularity University, is my Technology Advisor.

Over the last 30 years, science and technology have helped reduce infant mortality rates, given everyone longer lives, produced more jobs, lessened wars, improved general health, and made the world a better place. It makes sense then, to speed up the process of technological progress and embrace the transhumanist age, given how it improves lives."

Zoltan Istvan, United States presidential candidate 2016

http://www.businessinsider.com/futurist-...use-2015-7

[Image: zoltan-istvan-flagjpg.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 07-27-2015 10:04 AM by lido.)
07-27-2015 09:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 2 users Like lido's post:
Troll King, Bad Hussar
lskdfjldsf Offline
Kingfisher
Gold Member

RE: Business Insider: "U.S. Presidential Candidate promises indefinite lifespan"
Democratic campaign slogan in 2050: "We completely support indefinite lifespans. Vote for us, and you'll live to be 200 years old!"
Republican campaign slogan in 2050: "We're completely opposed to indefinite lifespans. Vote for us, and you'll live to be 195 years old!"
07-27-2015 09:58 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like lskdfjldsf's post:
Dr. Howard, vinman
Guitarman Offline
Pelican

RE: Business Insider: "U.S. Presidential Candidate promises indefinite lifespan"
Organ failure, yes but what can they theoretically do if the organ that fails is the Brain?? There lies the flaw in their logic.
07-27-2015 10:03 AM
lido Offline
Banned

RE: Business Insider:"US Presidential Candidate promises next-to-eternal biologic...
(07-27-2015 10:03 AM)Guitarman Wrote:  Organ failure, yes but what can they theoretically do if the organ that fails is the Brain?? There lies the flaw in their logic.

Brain can fail usually by stroke or by Alzheimer´s Disease, which is just a degenerative disease caused by aging.

If billions of dollars would be put to finance curing aging as a degenerative disease, Alzheimer´s Disease / dementia can be cured.

[Image: 58417787.jpg]
07-27-2015 10:06 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes lido's post:
Troll King
Phoenix Offline
Banned

RE: Business Insider:"US Presidential Candidate promises next-to-eternal biologic...
(07-27-2015 10:06 AM)lido Wrote:  If billions of dollars would be put to finance curing aging as a degenerative disease, Alzheimer´s Disease / dementia can be cured.

It's not that simple, unfortunately. Research will always be limited by the brains that engage in it. If you boosted research on something from $100M to $500M per year, you'd probably boost the research speed by a mere 50%.

(07-27-2015 09:50 AM)lido Wrote:  What would you do if you became president?

Probably be hated by the rest of the politicians for 4 years. I'd probably just veto everything because it was all crap, including money bills, so the government would shut down.
07-27-2015 10:13 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Phoenix's post:
Pontifex Maximus, lowhead360
T and A Man Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

RE: Business Insider:"US Presidential Candidate promises next-to-eternal"
Presidential candidate "Zoltan"? that has to happen.

[Image: tumblr_nqv43jByUh1qhz95yo1_500.gif]
07-27-2015 10:21 AM
[-] The following 16 users Like T and A Man's post:
TheWastelander, DamienCasanova, vinman, Dr. Howard, lskdfjldsf, Aphex, TigerMandingo, Handsome Creepy Eel, Ocelot, DJ-Matt, Avon Barksdale, Troll King, Atlantic, MiscBrah, Bad Hussar, Snowplow
Dr. Howard Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

RE: Business Insider:"US Presidential Candidate promises next-to-eternal biological life"
With a name like "Zoltan the transhumanist" I expect his message to be more like "We Come in Peace"

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV
07-27-2015 10:39 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dr. Howard's post:
Troll King
lido Offline
Banned

RE: Business Insider:"US Presidential Candidate promises next-to-eternal biological life"
For me what matters are what values and principles he has.

I personally really like this part:

"We would take large amounts of the military money and put it into the scientific and medical fields, and especially the life-extension fields. I think the biggest thing I'm running on is, if you vote me,

I would do my best to guarantee you an indefinite lifespan.

I know that sounds a little crazy--"Vote for me and I'll give you eternal life!"--but it's true.

We believe that with one trillion dollars, within 10 years we would come up with all sorts of anti-aging drugs, age-reversing procedures, and organ printing--because it's organ failure that usually causes death. "
07-27-2015 11:29 AM
lskdfjldsf Offline
Kingfisher
Gold Member

Worth the research for shits and giggles, but the last thing the world needs is our current generation living another hundred years.
07-27-2015 11:34 AM
[-] The following 7 users Like lskdfjldsf's post:
Aphex, Handsome Creepy Eel, 2Wycked, CanExPat, kruger41, Professor Fox, bucky
Glaucon Online
Ostrich
Gold Member

Hehe, a Hungarian, who else...

In that case I am going to run as a candidate as well, and promise free pussy! It is time for government operated brothels!
07-27-2015 11:43 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Glaucon's post:
Troll King
Soothesayer Offline
Woodpecker

"How to SERVE MAN"

I think I remember this from a Twilight Zone episode. The visiting aliens arrive with a book no one can translate. But by the end of the episode it turns out that the item in question is a cookbook on how to cook humans.

In other news, it seems the False Prophet is alive and well.
07-27-2015 11:48 AM
Legendver2 Offline
Sparrow

I remember reading somewhere that biological immortality is flawed because the longer you live, the likelihood of you getting cancer is higher, since your cells will probably have no limit on it's telomeres and will multiply indefinitely, increasing the chance that more cells will replicate a faulty one leading to cancer. Thoughts?
07-27-2015 12:11 PM
monster Offline
Pelican

(07-27-2015 10:06 AM)lido Wrote:  
(07-27-2015 10:03 AM)Guitarman Wrote:  Organ failure, yes but what can they theoretically do if the organ that fails is the Brain?? There lies the flaw in their logic.

Brain can fail usually by stroke or by Alzheimer´s Disease, which is just a degenerative disease caused by aging.

If billions of dollars would be put to finance curing aging as a degenerative disease, Alzheimer´s Disease / dementia can be cured.

Billions of dollars is spent on this.

Bill Gates, Google, etc are all investors and followers of Transhumanist causes as well. Google recently bought Calico and employs Ray Kurzweil.

Transhumanism is more than curing alzheimers, its about AI and nanotech as well. Pretty cool stuff.
07-27-2015 12:13 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes monster's post:
Troll King
Handsome Creepy Eel Offline
Owl
Gold Member

This quote is relevant to Zoltan's arrogant belief that he can simply flick fingers, and a trillion dollars later immortality will simply appear:

Alpha Centauri Wrote:Men in their arrogance claim to understand the nature of creation, and devise elaborate theories to describe its behavior. But always they discover in the end that God was quite a bit more clever than they thought.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before
07-27-2015 12:49 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Handsome Creepy Eel's post:
joseywales, 2Wycked, big poppa
lido Offline
Banned

Actually the curing of the degenerative disease of aging is near, it may take 10, it may take 50 years, it all depends on how much the social support of the society will be towards it:

Some of the pèople reading this will make it to the possibility of living idefinitely,
and others not (because this idea seems too new or too breakthrough for them)
07-28-2015 06:51 AM
lido Offline
Banned

(07-27-2015 12:13 PM)monster Wrote:  
(07-27-2015 10:06 AM)lido Wrote:  

Billions of dollars is spent on this.

Bill Gates, Google, etc are all investors and followers of Transhumanist causes as well. Google recently bought Calico and employs Ray Kurzweil.

Transhumanism is more than curing alzheimers, its about AI and nanotech as well. Pretty cool stuff.

Fighting death (eternal nothingness) should be the priority number 1 for
everyone actually, not only Mark Zuckerberg, Google, Peter Thiel, Paypal, etc
08-01-2015 08:46 AM
MrLemon Offline
Banned

I would not be surprised if they invent the technology, then the human race and religious groups turn against it and destroy all those who practice it. It will not be a fun social transition...oh no indeedy, not at all. Could bring on the next Dark Ages. Then it would be 500 years before people embrace the concept again.
08-01-2015 12:54 PM
RIslander Offline
Banned

This could give rise to some solid advice in the future "Gaming Girls 200 Years Younger" thread.
08-01-2015 02:01 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes RIslander's post:
Teekay
lido Offline
Banned

http://moneymorning.com/2015/06/29/aubre...g-forever/

There's a new goal sweeping across Silicon Valley. Tech's biggest names want to fight death by figuring out how to look and feel young for decades.

They've already poured billions of dollars into new biotech ventures that focus on anti-aging research…

In March 2014, tech entrepreneurs Craig Venter and Peter Diamandis founded Human Longevity Inc. The biotech's goal is to create a database of 1 million human genome sequences, including from supercentenarians. The founders hope the data will shed light on how to stay young forever and live a healthier life.

Two years ago, Google Inc. (Nasdaq: GOOG, GOOGL) announced the creation of subsidiary company Calico. Short for California Life Company, Calico hopes to increase the human life span by 100 years and "devise interventions that enable people to lead longer and healthier lives."

But not far from Google headquarters, a man with a beard down to his chest has been leading the immortality revolution for more than a decade…

The Leading Mind Behind How to Stay Young Forever

how to stay young foreverFifty-two-year-old Aubrey de Grey is the chief scientific officer at his own charity, the Strategies for Engineered Negligible Senescence (SENS) Research Foundation. The nonprofit organization focuses on applying regenerative medicine to the aging process.
08-02-2015 08:17 AM
Handsome Creepy Eel Offline
Owl
Gold Member

(08-01-2015 08:46 AM)lido Wrote:  Fighting death (eternal nothingness) should be the priority number 1 for everyone actually, not only Mark Zuckerberg, Google, Peter Thiel, Paypal, etc

What for? Much more misery is caused by people living destructive and unhappy lives than by the fact that these lives eventually end. Only after improving on that should we be trying to extend the human lifespan.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before
08-02-2015 08:26 AM
Bad Hussar Offline
Pelican

My intuition is that something approaching immortality is possible. At any rate, lifespans multiple times "three score and ten". Unlike "Hard" Artificial Intelligence, which I think is essentially impossible. Basically you need a way to regenerate cells, and by extension DNA, as new cells are formed.

I doubt much longer lifespans will result in an increase in destructive tendencies. If anything many destructive tendencies are the result of "fear of death" in one form or another. But I doubt that large institutional funding , whether by government or billionaires, can yield significant progress. I would expect progress to come from much smaller, ad-hoc projects.
08-03-2015 12:07 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bad Hussar's post:
Benoit

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Contact Us | RooshV.com | Return to Top | Return to Content | Mobile Version | RSS Syndication