Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Reminder: Perseid Meteor Shower Still Strong
Bad Hussar Offline
Pelican

Reminder: Perseid Meteor Shower Still Strong
For anyone interested: The Perseid meteor shower is still strong. Around one per minute. It's at new moon this year so the sky is nice and dark.

Find somewhere dark, with minimal artificial light and cloud.
Wait till midnight.
Look to the North and directly above.
Keep looking.

[Image: 20305799079_e875f5b909_b.jpg]

Prize for anyone who gets video like this guy in Russia(not Perseid related):

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2015 01:53 PM by Bad Hussar.)
08-13-2015 01:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like Bad Hussar's post:
Laner, H1N1, Seth_Rose, Vacancier Permanent
H1N1 Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

RE: Reminder: Perseid Meteor Shower Still Strong
I live somewhere remote, so there's no light pollution, and we had no cloud cover last night, so it was pretty spectacular. It was a mild night too, and dry, so I was able to lie on the grass, in the middle of nowhere, with my two dogs, for about an hour an watch the shower. It was pretty incredible, I'd guess 10 or so a minute last night (I've read some places were getting upwards of a hundred). Hard to believe that some of the bigger chunks of this are barely the size of a pebble, given how bright the arcs can be.
08-13-2015 06:01 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like H1N1's post:
Seth_Rose, Vacancier Permanent, Bad Hussar
Seth_Rose Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

RE: Reminder: Perseid Meteor Shower Still Strong
I live in the DC area so there's a ton of light pollution. That said, I was able to see a few meteors last night (only 4-5). I did see one bright one that I thought was going to crash into Earth and wipe out the dinosaurs... ahem, mankind. It was really, really cool to see.

Not to get all philosophical, but there's really something powerful about sitting quietly, staring up at the stars in awe of the universe and all the natural phenomena that exists within it. If you have a few minutes tonight, I would do what H1N1 did and go to a hill in an area as remote as possible, lay down on the grass and just look up at the sky. Enjoy.

Blog - Twitter
08-13-2015 06:14 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Seth_Rose's post:
H1N1, Vacancier Permanent, Bad Hussar