Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Marseille (Netflix Series)
Vienna Offline
Kingfisher
Gold Member

Marseille (Netflix Series)
Netflix recently launched a new series called Marseilles. It's their bid to grab a slice of the French market in their push for global domination among streaming companies.

I'm only 4 episodes in but liking it so far.

Set in present day Marseilles, its main story depicts the subterfuge and shady power plays among the political caste and high society, and their connections with the underworld. Gerard Depardieu stars as retiring mayor Robert Taro, and he's in good acting form. The rest of the cast includes Benoit Magimel, Geraldhine Cailhas and Nadia Fares; never seen them before but they do a good job. Stephane Caillard (below) stars as Taro's daughter.

[Image: 217518_20120823154200_563651482152.jpg]
(WB with the collective heat of 10000 freshly baked baguettes.)

What's interesting about this show, apart from the well-crafted plot, characters and production values, are the red pill undertones. The men regularly comment on how the women look, ridiculing and chastising as much as complimenting their clothes for example. Women are depicted lusting after powerful men; indeed, Taro's wife demands power in her man lest she would lose her affection for him. Without spoiling anything important, Taro's daughter becomes involved in a love triangle with two bad boys. She fucks the guy displaying more masculine traits and keeps the other one, a needy gift-giving guy, for her emotional needs.

I bet the writers have flipped through The 48 Laws of Power at least once while conjuring the script.

I recommend Marseille for the viewership of this forum. Would be interesting to hear your thoughts. Interestingly, it's been shat on by most critics in France.

Bonus pic:

[Image: d733fe3f03b55b4f9be3fbc9c07295f984b4c468...c47ba2.jpg]
(This is how you ball in Marseilles.)
05-21-2016 03:46 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 6 users Like Vienna's post:
Comte De St. Germain, Vacancier Permanent, Mr. D, Nevsky, Handsome Creepy Eel, Kaligula
911 Offline
Crow

RE: Marseille (Netflix Series)
Depardieu is a red piller and a real man, he's pretty tight with Putin.

λ ό γ ο ς
05-21-2016 04:09 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like 911's post:
Vacancier Permanent, Handsome Creepy Eel
azulsombra Offline
Pelican

Good breakdown of the show.
It wasn't amazing, only 8 episodes but I enjoyed it.

"I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not trying. Everyday hit every wave, like I'm Hawaiian"
05-21-2016 04:25 PM
ed pluribus unum Offline
Kingfisher

(05-21-2016 03:46 PM)DarianFrey Wrote:  She fucks the guy displaying more masculine traits and keeps the other one, a needy gift-giving guy, for her emotional needs.

This part really stood out for me; I couldn't help wondering if the average beta out there sees the needy gift-giver as a sort of underdog to root for.

Watched the first 2 episodes, will likely continue watching to see where it goes.
05-21-2016 04:28 PM
American Rampage Offline
Sparrow

(05-21-2016 04:28 PM)ed pluribus unum Wrote:  
(05-21-2016 03:46 PM)DarianFrey Wrote:  She fucks the guy displaying more masculine traits and keeps the other one, a needy gift-giving guy, for her emotional needs.

This part really stood out for me; I couldn't help wondering if the average beta out there sees the needy gift-giver as a sort of underdog to root for.

They all voted for Bernie.

I wonder how many betas watching House of Cards rooted for "underdog" Lucas Goodwin, the beta reporter pining after Zoe Barnes. His breakdown and demise in season 4 was a highlight of the series. I'm only a few episodes in and will bet right now the beta will cry like a little bitch when the wannabe gangbangers murder him.

Marseille is not House of Cards and it's a bit weak on the plot but the characterizations are solid. Depardieu is a top talent actor and plays a powerful man with ease. Were Taro played by a lessor actor, it would be unbelievable that he's snorting blow and banging top quality women like a champ at his age. It's all about frame.

But good god Depardieu is fat as shit. I keep my eyes trained on his vest buttons waiting for them to pop.
05-21-2016 05:30 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes American Rampage's post:
Handsome Creepy Eel
sylo Offline
Woodpecker

I like the show, but for me, it can get pretty cheesey/psuedo dramatic at times, which is a distraction and clouds the intruige that was built.

I remember the actor who plays Taro from a long, long time ago. He is a great actor and the show needs him, but my god did that guy get fat. Like skin-explosion fat.
05-22-2016 05:22 AM
Vienna Offline
Kingfisher
Gold Member

I agree. Depardieu seems like a full-on hedonist. There has been various rumors of him drinking 14 bottles of wine everyday and pissing in the middle of the isle during a flight. And of course his ties to Putin. Talk about first-hand experience on how powerful people conduct themselves.

Given the story of his life, I wouldn't be surprised if there are psychological traumas or even a mental disorder enabling his behaviour. According to Wikipedia, he was a rent boy in his teens (male prostitute), and he was involved in crime before falling into acting by accident. He also lost his son in 2008.

I respect him for channeling his crazy energy into something creative. He is one of the most prolific actors ever (appeared in 160+ movies). And as they say, the best actors don't have to act.

Seeing him in Marseille makes me want to see Cyrano de Bergerac, his breakthrough performance. It earned him an Oscar nomination.
05-22-2016 06:10 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Vienna's post:
911, Handsome Creepy Eel
PeanutoftheNight Offline
Pigeon

Its a great show, almost done. The most difficult thing to grasp is how a large blob like Depardieu's character fathered such a beautiful girl in Caillard's character Julia. Might not be as complex as House of Cards, but is more interesting for a non-French speaker to read subtitles, pick up French and follow an interesting storyline.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2016 12:52 AM by PeanutoftheNight.)
05-25-2016 12:51 AM
Rush87 Offline
Ostrich

It has a cool name. I'm not one for television, usually preferring movies, but the name alone holds a lot of character. I'm intrigued.
(This post was last modified: 05-25-2016 12:54 AM by Rush87.)
05-25-2016 12:54 AM
American Rampage Offline
Sparrow

I finished watching a few days ago. The big reveal in the last two episodes was exciting, then unbelievable, and finally unsatisfying. It's one of those shows that could easily be better with another season or two to find its rhythm. (Though the resolution of the alpha/beta love triangle was spot on. Without giving anything away, the beta demonstrates how much he put the pussy on the pedestal. What a loser.)

Overall worth watching, despite its flaws.

Marseilles has a bit in common with Boss, where Kelsey Grammer plays a mayor of Chicago who orders a murder every few episodes if it might improve his poll numbers. Also worth watching if you enjoy political conspiracy stories.
05-29-2016 11:13 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Netflix Thread Panteleimon 292 90,434 12-14-2019 09:37 AM
Last Post: Mikeyd03
  The TV Series Thread Pride male 1,069 283,788 11-22-2019 11:33 AM
Last Post: Tail Gunner
  "Cobra Kai" YouTube Red series Long Haired Samson 124 24,714 07-18-2019 05:18 PM
Last Post: RIslander