Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Remaking movies into TV shows
Mr. D Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

Remaking movies into TV shows
I didn't know this was a thing:

Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel.

And now I'm wondering how something like The Rocky Horror Picture Show would even work in a TV format?
05-24-2016 06:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
LeoneVolpe Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

RE: Remaking movies into TV shows
What's even worse is they're remaking "Uncle Buck" with Mike Epps as the titular character. Just leave the classics alone and come up with some new shit already!

P.S.: This looks awful. There's just no replacing John Candy.

(This post was last modified: 05-24-2016 06:47 PM by LeoneVolpe.)
05-24-2016 06:45 PM
Sam Malone Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

After watching those previews

[Image: tumblr_mnfwx3nT6w1rynk4uo4_250.gif]

Hollywood is shitting all over some of the best movies from the '80s and '90s

Darkwing Buck Wrote:  A 5 in your bed is worth more than a 9 in your head.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2016 06:52 PM by Sam Malone.)
05-24-2016 06:52 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Sam Malone's post:
LeoneVolpe, Avon Barksdale
spokepoker Offline
Hummingbird

There are only some movies I would watch as tv shows, continuing the story, or going off on other aspects of the story.
I would watch an 'Aliens" tv series, watching space marines do different stuff at different colonies, explore the endevours of the weiland coporation, etc. etc.
I would watch a 'Predator' series, hunting different aliens on different worlds, crossovers sometimes to the Aliens series (in space marine timeline, not that present time bullshit the movies did).

I enjoyed the Ghostbusters cartoon series when I was a kid, why not do a live action series of that?

"A stripper last night brought up "Rich Dad Poor Dad" when I mentioned, "Think and Grow Rich""
05-24-2016 06:57 PM
Goldin Boy Offline
Pelican

(05-24-2016 06:33 PM)Mr. D Wrote:  And now I'm wondering how something like The Rocky Horror Picture Show would even work in a TV format?

It won't work.

They're doing a remake, direct-to-TV-film, of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. That tranny from Orange is the new black is Dr. Frank N. Furter.

At least they got a real transvestite for the role.

I don't think alot of my favorite movies would translate well into TV shows. Robocop could work...it would like COPS with a cyborg.

My other fave film is Resevoir Dogs which wouldn't work since everyone dies.

(08-18-2016 12:05 PM)dicknixon72 Wrote:  ...and nothing quite surprises me anymore. If I looked out my showroom window and saw a fully-nude woman force-fucking an alligator with a strap-on while snorting xanex on the roof of her rental car with her three children locked inside with the windows rolled up, I wouldn't be entirely amazed.
(This post was last modified: 05-24-2016 07:06 PM by Goldin Boy.)
05-24-2016 07:03 PM
Paracelsus Offline
Crow
Gold Member

(05-24-2016 06:57 PM)spokepoker Wrote:  There are only some movies I would watch as tv shows, continuing the story, or going off on other aspects of the story.
I would watch an 'Aliens" tv series, watching space marines do different stuff at different colonies, explore the endevours of the weiland coporation, etc. etc.
I would watch a 'Predator' series, hunting different aliens on different worlds, crossovers sometimes to the Aliens series (in space marine timeline, not that present time bullshit the movies did).

I enjoyed the Ghostbusters cartoon series when I was a kid, why not do a live action series of that?

In short: because the SFX budget of each of these franchises means they will never be turned into TV series.

Remissas, discite, vivet.
God save us from people who mean well. -storm
05-24-2016 07:25 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Paracelsus's post:
spokepoker
porscheguy Offline
Ostrich

The networks are out of ideas. They're using nostalgia to capture viewers. Most of what's on the networks is pure shit. Look at the most popular show on the networks, NCIS. How often are these clowns out doing shit that would normally be handled by the FBI, CIA, etc? The characters tend to be fairly shallow unless depth is written in. They all live alone, or if they do have families, they're rendered irrelevant. You never see someone's spouse or kid unless they're part of that week's episode. If two characters on the show happen to start fucking, it goes down in the most bizarre and unbelievable way.

Go on over to netflix and check out the show Bloodline. It takes place in the Florida Keys, so guess what? It's shot there. The characters seem real and tangible. When you watch it, you feel hot and sticky like you're sitting in the Keys in mid summer. It's about a family with one son/brother who's a piece of shit, so the other siblings wind up killing him. The people are mostly believable. And when you scratch the surface, it's not as pretty as you thought it was. They don't rely on grandiose plot schemes or special effects. Just an interesting story that gradually draws you in. And everyone can relate because we all have a family member we'd like to bury in a swamp. In this case they did it.

They can remake whatever they want, I wont be tuning in.
05-24-2016 07:47 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like porscheguy's post:
Speculation, brick tamland
weambulance Offline
Hummingbird
Gold Member

Taking a movie property and turning it into a serial show works if you only carry over the characters (or only one or two of them, and add more), not the plot, and then only if there is some larger, overarching plot to explore with short story arcs that has something to do with what happened in the movie.

The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Agents of SHIELD are examples of how to do it right, at least in the broad strokes. Both shows had a much larger persistent threat for the characters, so they could leave the movie canon alone and branch out without compromising future movie plots. I was very disappointed when TSCC was cancelled because they left so many plot threads unresolved. Agents of SHIELD had some fairly shitty writers and it would've been 10x better without Skye Sue, though.

The Lethal Weapon franchise seems like a pretty shit choice. The basic Lethal Weapon movie is a buddy plot with a single problem to solve. It works well in a 90-120 minute format, because the humor has time to mature while they deal with whatever problem they're facing. What is a TV show going to look like? 40 minutes is too short for the LW style of humor to work, and LW without the humor is total crap. Will they turn it into a sitcom? Maybe some kind of freak of the week format? I just don't see how they can maintain the feel of Lethal Weapon in a short form serial like this.

Rocky Horror is another terrible choice, in my opinion. I don't see how you could possibly turn that into a TV show without butchering it.

Browsing through lists of movies from the past 40-50 years, very few seem like good choices for TV show adaptation. Most of the ones I noted as possibilities have already been made into shows, like all the various comic franchises and Star Wars. There were some comedies that might do okay in sitcom format. They tried that with About a Boy but IIRC it turned serious by the end of the first season and it never would've worked at all if the mother was as cracked as she was in the movie.

As to why they're doing this, the most believable explanation I've heard is the networks and studios just don't want to take chances anymore. So they figure they can crank out some thrice-remade trash and tap into an audience that already exists. It's not like there's any shortage of skilled writers putting out new material every year; the execs are just pussies.
05-24-2016 08:20 PM
[-] The following 6 users Like weambulance's post:
LeoneVolpe, spokepoker, Paracelsus, Goldin Boy, brick tamland, DJ-Matt
EDantes Offline
Pelican
Silver Member

Not sure if anyone ever watched Transporter the Series on TNT but it was surprisingly good, and outdid the movies IMO (which were so-so movies), unfortunately it didn't get picked up after season 2.
05-25-2016 07:07 PM