I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Techno Appreciation Thread
JayD Offline
Woodpecker

Techno Appreciation Thread
This thread is just my love of techno music and the genre in general. You can see me pretty much in a techno club enjoying the music solely and dancing for hours on end.
Techno is quite a wide genre, there are many sub genres within techno such as minimal, progressive and detroit techno. Techno is a repetitive 4/4, but therein lies the beauty of it and where I think what makes techno great. The subtle changes after a phrase is what makes techno interesting to me, and what makes each genre come alive. I've partied in Berlin, Amsterdam and Melbourne which are good underground techno scenes and they all have a particular vibe I enjoyed and have never seen an altercation in any of these clubs. Yes, there are candies consumed but the overall vibe is chill and to enjoy the music, it could be considered alternative or hipster towards some.

Techno essentially started out in Detroit where the likes of Dave Clarke, Jeff Mills were killing it in the 80's. It expanded throughout Europe and now we see huge festivals with over 10,000-50,000 attending with amazing sound systems and production. The main techno scene in europe is paris, amsterdam, berlin, ibiza and barcelona.

These are the biggest and popular techno festivals at the moment:
EXIT (Serbia) - Over 50,000 people attend, huge!
Sonus (Croatia) - A huge beach techno festival
Awakenings (Amsterdam) - Pure techno
DGTL (Amsterdam and Barcelona) - Great vibes and sound
Kappa FuturFestival (Turin)
Timewarp (Mannheim) - Amazing production

Tracks alone for techno are quite good, but i generally listen to the entire set from the dj. Each dj brings their own style and no one set is the same. The mixing and effects and the audience is what makes techno music good.

Here are some sets played by the greats:

Richie Hawtin

Carl Cox

Ricardo Villalobos

Dixon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LU18BJunVk
Boris Brejcha
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdAl99Jl_70

My personal favourite DJs : Nina Kraviz, Ben Klock, Seth Troxler, Solomun, Victor Ruiz & Boris Brejcha.

Tracks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnTOuEyctrs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYX9Tbsleko

https://soundcloud.com/senso-sounds/huma...ix-snippet

There you go guys, feel free to contribute!
09-17-2016 04:23 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 8 users Like JayD's post:
Cr33pin, Rocha, Ringo, Yeti, Noir, Designate, Cronus, coverdoc
Cr33pin Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

RE: Techno Appreciation Thread
I used to think techno was for queers and homosexuals
Then I did some MDMA and listened this the Alice DeeJay CD
After that this CD stayed in my car stereo for almost a year straight without ever taking it out... unless it was to take it out and play it when I was outside my car rolling balls

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
09-17-2016 04:47 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cr33pin's post:
Sooth
JayD Offline
Woodpecker

@Cr33pin - That's some old school shit, a lot of new songs sample from that album.
The Pre-90's era, allegedly was the best time for electronic music, with no smartphone cameras, crazy parties and anything goes...
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2016 05:11 AM by JayD.)
09-17-2016 05:09 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes JayD's post:
Cr33pin
Conquerer7 Offline
Woodpecker

I love all types of dance music but techno has always appealed to me as you never know what the DJ is going to play next. Lucky enough to have seen Carl Cox a few times at home and abroad in the past 18 months and during this period my love of Techno has grown as the mainstream house/edm has became pretty similar sounding but i still listen to all dance on a daily basis. There is a club that has been voted one of the best in the world called SubClub (Scotland). An outstanding place that is usually open Tuesday - Sunday and always has a cracking atmosphere. When i go to see a DJ i am not fussed at all about girls so i usually head with a girl i'm seeing or a friend. Sometimes solo or less likely with a group of friends. However, i find this club (and most rave clubs/events/festivals) has really friendly girls who are dancing, aren't glued to their phones and always want an afterparty so pulling here can happen if in the mood and generally at raves girls will open aswell with a comment about the DJ if they like the look of you. Compared to mainstream top 40 clubs which i rarely go to now i find the girls dress much hotter aswell and are usually dressed in black showing a lot of skin which is a big turn on for me. Recently was at SubClub for Patrick Topping and Hot Since 82 while Nina Kraviz and Richey Ahmed are appearing in the next month. May also head to DGTL x Paradise at ADE.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2016 06:17 AM by Conquerer7.)
09-17-2016 05:17 AM
JayD Offline
Woodpecker

@Conquerer7 - That's what makes techno fun, the dj takes you through the journey of the song selection that they play. Timing, vibe and flow is all important and reading the crowd and when everything comes together it goes for a great party. The best djs definitely do this such as Richie Hawtin, Seth Troxler, Solomun and recently Matador which is a gun at live shows.

Techno girls are definitely hot, they show more skin and are more open, tend to dress alternatively, the techno scene is quite good in Melbourne and brings quite a lot of girls. Girls dance well and are cool to chat with. Electronic music is good in that it brings in all types of sorts. Yea festivals vibes is definitely where its at, I've had really good times in festivals with the chicks there.
(This post was last modified: 09-17-2016 08:21 AM by JayD.)
09-17-2016 08:20 AM
Kieran Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

I'm a big fan of Detroit. Even now that it's long past it's peak, I still prefer the likes of Robert Hood (Floorplan) and Moodyman over European producers (not that I won't gladly listen to European techno too).
09-17-2016 01:46 PM
Rocha Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

Great Thread !!

That song from Oxia is an absolute classic of my techno parties days, it was a major hit around 2006. Another favorite of mine from that era was Tiefschwarz, and almost all of the producers from the Koln based Kompakt Records.

Another all time favorites:

"Поехали!!" (Yuri Gagarin, 1961)

Twitter - Роча
09-17-2016 02:56 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rocha's post:
JayD
JayD Offline
Woodpecker

Nice, Garnier is a Boss, he's still killing it!

Have you listened to Herbert, his stuff around that time was quite catching

Bjarki is another artist to watch out for, this track was playing was on fire a couple of months ago

Another good one

09-18-2016 01:51 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like JayD's post:
Noir, Sooth, Rocha
Thoughtcrime Offline
Sparrow

(09-17-2016 05:09 AM)JayD Wrote:  @Cr33pin - That's some old school shit, a lot of new songs sample from that album.
The Pre-90's era, allegedly was the best time for electronic music, with no smartphone cameras, crazy parties and anything goes...

Pre 90s?? I think you meant the 90s. I would argue mid 90s to mid aughts was the best time.
09-19-2016 12:53 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Thoughtcrime's post:
Cr33pin
JohannesAusPrag Offline
Sparrow

Nice to see this thread here. Hopefully I'll hear this in Berghain soon, so far I wasn't lucky go be allowed in when this guy was mixing.

09-19-2016 03:24 AM
Sooth Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

I come from a Trance background but who can forget Scooter. I nearly crashed my first car twice and crashed my 2nd car once while pumping these guys on the Touge.

09-19-2016 03:37 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sooth's post:
Gambler
Noir Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

09-19-2016 04:44 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Noir's post:
Lizard King
FilipSRB Offline
Woodpecker

Funny that this thread popped up now, I've been listening and going to psy (and goa) trance rave for a couple of years now, but I finally went to a big techno rave three weeks ago, and I had an absolute blast. Nakadia was playing in Barutana, which is according to many artists that played there one of the best summer venues in Europe, it is a part of the Kalemegdan fortress in Belgrade (Barutana means gun powder room, which this venue literally was when Turks were controlling the fortress) so you can guess that it has a special atmosphere. I have been listening to techno sets during my online poker sessions ever since, it really helps me get into the groove.

Anyway, Belgrade and Serbia in general has one of the strongest electronic music scenes in Europe from the very start, almost every weekend there are big stars from techno and trance scene, and you all probably heard about EXIT festival in Novi Sad. I guess people here really like to listen to good music and take drugs to forget about their gloomy daily lives.

So here are a few good songs and sets from Serbian producers and djs for your enjoyment:

09-19-2016 05:41 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes FilipSRB's post:
JayD
aeroektar Online
Pelican

My favorite techno artist is Andy Stott, minimal, dark, long build ups, heavy vibes.

(This post was last modified: 09-19-2016 12:25 PM by aeroektar.)
09-19-2016 12:20 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like aeroektar's post:
JayD, Noir
Cronus Offline
Sparrow

Clubs that play techno and house are my home away from home. Europe has a great techno scene which makes me a little jealous.

Charlotte de Witte plays minimal techno. Hope she comes to the States soon.

Matt Lange is more deep and regular. Has solid progression and easy to get into.

Gesaffelstein brings those deep dark sounds that surround you. I saw him live last year and it blew me away.

If it doesn't fit, force it... If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
09-19-2016 05:35 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cronus's post:
JayD
JayD Offline
Woodpecker

Gesaffelstein is some hard techno, not for the casuals that's for sure, love it!
I went to a electronic club called Kulturas Kabas in Vilnuis, Lithuania, it just so happened that it was below a hostel I was staying at. Sweet vibes, East European electronic music is quite different and I think it features more melody compared to the heavy bass coming from Western Europe.

Here's one of my favourite sets for grooving and funk after a long day partying or work and just chilling, courtesy of Boiler Room:

If you haven't heard of Boiler Room, it's set up by a guy from Germany that features up and coming and popular artists in electronic music. Definitely check it out, the sets by these DJs are high quality and the audience in some of these videos are quite entertaining.

One more - deep house/techno by the master mixer Solomun(watch the audience):

09-20-2016 03:46 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like JayD's post:
Cronus, Ringo
FilipSRB Offline
Woodpecker

That Solomon Boiler Room set is the bomb, it has been in my rotation for a couple of weeks now.

Edit: Recently I started discovering tracks that can be classified as early trance were you can still hear techno influences, basically tracks that you can hear on both types of rave, something like this:

or look at this early footage of Carl Cox:

Not gonna comment on amazing technique here, but the first track is pure goa trance. I hope more DJs go the route of Nina and experiment with genre blending in their sets.
(This post was last modified: 09-20-2016 04:12 AM by FilipSRB.)
09-20-2016 03:54 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes FilipSRB's post:
JayD
JayD Offline
Woodpecker

Electronic music is intertwined, tracks can be classified as different genres quite often. Kraviz is one of those DJs where you have no idea what type of music she will play, listen to her Timewarp 2016 DJ set. That was some nice rave party music.

Here are a few minimal techno tracks:

09-22-2016 02:16 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes JayD's post:
amity
FilipSRB Offline
Woodpecker

(09-22-2016 02:16 AM)JayD Wrote:  Kraviz is one of those DJs where you have no idea what type of music she will play, listen to her Timewarp 2016 DJ set. That was some nice rave party music.

I did for the first time yesterday actually, amazing set, near the end it became really heavy and I had to switch it off because it became hard to focus on the poker tables with that kind of energy.
09-22-2016 04:43 AM
Noir Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

Brilliant thread, good to see some other techno-heads around. Used to host a few parties and DJ a bit back in university. Now it's mainly event promotion and some organizing via SM.

I listen to a lot of techno, minimal, electronica and deep house/Detroit house, usually 110BPM to 129BPM. Recently going through an Acid Pauli/Rampue phase with oriental/Arabic underlying tones to the electronica.

Then you got everything in between from Red Axes to Patrice Baumel to Guy Gerber to proper techno like Rrose.

Here's one I cannot really categorize.

Bicep dropped this in a mix and shit got wild. Ben UFO also plays stuff like this alongside Ramadanman and Blawan. Has a Hessle Audio sound that if you've ever been to Corsica Studios, Fabric (RIP) or any South East London club, it will evoke grungy walks home, coming down with or without some hotties.

One of my favourite tracks, a tribute to Trouw, the legendary club in Amsterdam that closed down. Originally 2 (or 3?) tracks merged into a 9 minute trip, the genius talents of Job Jobse, Barnt and David Hasert joined forces on this one.

Deep tech- I listen to Tejada when I am getting ready to go out, in the gym or just to get me hyped. Sweat on the walls and Paranoia his classics but his recent releases on Kompakt are quality.

More progressive but ridiculous production. Heard this in a Robbie Akbal mixtape and wet my pants.

This one is indescribable, Second State has come out with a lot of gems recently. Pan Pot, Marc Romboy and Stephan Bodzin releasing a lot on this one in 2016. My fave release of Second State (followed by Bodzin's Sleepless remix)

Reached video limit so let's just deposit some links here.

Cryptik - Radiance

Outright techno; if you visited any techno playing party this summer, this was smashed out at some point or another. Tale of Us also spam this one.

Recondite - Caldera

I found it interesting that this guy mentioned in an interview that he doesn't listen to anyone else's productions, just his own. He released a few more decent tracks such as Osa this year and was featured on Afterlife I think.

Subb-an - This Place (Nic Fanciulli Remix)

This track reminds me of summer 2012. Saved Records head honcho coming in hot with a sick remix of Subb-an who has that infectious groove to his music. Granted, more tech-house but worth a post.

Finally, one of my favourite techno producers, Scuba - The Hope, on Hotflush. Quality releases on that label.

Bonus mix, all of his own productions (Pastor)-

https://soundcloud.com/joachim-pastor/jo...l-bcn-2016

The Rex the Dog mix I posted further up the thread is supreme quality too.

For those feeling a bit reminiscent, Solee dropped an absolute smasher of a mix with 90s trance/progressive:

https://soundcloud.com/how-i-met-the-bass/solee

Last but not least, probably my fave mix of 2016. This guy is so underrated (along with Pezzner) and it's a flawless deep house mix.

https://soundcloud.com/compost/cbls-361-...-guest-mix

I recommend also listing good record labels to listen out for and certain podcasts/radio shows that host such tunes.

Sitting on literally thousands of tracks here and thousands more mixes here, itching to share so just hit me up.

Enjoy!
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2016 05:52 AM by Noir.)
09-22-2016 05:34 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Noir's post:
JayD, aeroektar, amity
JohannesAusPrag Offline
Sparrow

Here are another two amazing tracks, hope you enjoy them as I do.

and one minimal/techhouse track which made me almost cum when I heard it for first time in a club.

09-22-2016 05:43 AM
Guriko Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

I do not know if Umek can be strictly classified as techno but I remember him winning a couple of awards within this genre and I have fond memories of the night dancing to his 2006 single 'Posing as me'.

Romans 8:31 - 'What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?'

My notes.

Mike Cernovich Compilation 2015 | 2016

The Gold from Bold
09-24-2016 03:47 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Guriko's post:
Rocha, Cronus
aeroektar Online
Pelican

Listening to this while I workout on a sunday morning.

09-25-2016 01:00 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes aeroektar's post:
JohannesAusPrag
JayD Offline
Woodpecker

@Noir - Wow that Cologne megamix is a sweet track. I love Barnt, I really enjoyed his set at DGTL 2016, first time I heard him at the Ellum stage, he really pulls you in.

Damn man, you know your shit! I'm all for it haha. I'll start listening to the other tracks that you have listed

If you are ever at Amsterdam hit up De Marktantine, De School or Radion, I would say they are the best techno clubs at the moment. De Marktantine has amazing sound, the venue is gorgeous and the djs that play there are amazing, true dutch techno. Radion is old school venue, playing wax records and incredibly skilled djs.

I'll start listening to the other tracks that you have listed.

Here is a few Amsterdam djs:
https://soundcloud.com/dgtl-festival/mis...-dgtl-2016 - Dark heavy techno with melodies, Miss Melera is something special

I've also been listening to Nicolas Jaar again:

09-26-2016 06:05 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like JayD's post:
Noir, amity
911 Offline
Crow

Techno is weird in that it is a musical genre than hasn't changed much in 25+ years. 90% of the DJs are crap, as are most of the women DJs.

λ ό γ ο ς
09-26-2016 11:18 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like 911's post:
MidJack, Mr. D

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Pewdiepie appreciation thread Rudideviz 158 26,718 09-13-2019 11:08 AM
Last Post: [email protected]
  The Stephen King Appreciation Thread 2Wycked 87 29,002 09-02-2019 02:21 PM
Last Post: robreke
  Kona Appreciation Thread Suits 19 2,080 08-25-2019 07:47 PM