Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Patrick Swayze Appreciation Thread
Rhyme or Reason Away
True Player
Gold Member

Patrick Swayze Appreciation Thread
Patrick Swayze was the man. People always give me funny looks when I say that but I don't really give a shit. It's true. He was old school, did all his own stunts, and in general lived on the edge.

He was a man of many talents as well. He was a poised for a football scholarship in highschool until a knee injury. He went on to become a pro dancer and eventually, actor. He was also a pilot and skydiver. Shot in Point Break where he jumps out of the plane is real. The funny thing is he was under contract at the time of filming that disallowed him from doing all the risky badass shit that he loved to do, like jumping out of planes.

He was the star of the most 80s-ish 80's movie of all time: Roadhouse. If you haven't seen it, go watch it.

Another classic of his was the original Point Break (1991) with Keanu Reeves. Not that remake crap that came out in 2015, that was contrived shit.

An interesting fact about Patrick Swayze was that he was a one woman man. He was married for 34 years to some C list dancer / actress.

He died at age 57 in 2009 of pancreatic cancer. In this interview he talks about his sickness. Even on the way out he maintains his dignity. He doesn't whine or complain or talk about how "its not fair"

So there you have it. Best part is, he never accepted a shitty role just to get by...

[Image: MTMyODg2MTc0MDUzMjIyNDEw.jpg]

Ok, one shitty role.

"We started out as friends and didn't have much emotional feelings. However, as I got to know her more, I found that she was a diamond hidden away in the chaos of sloots around me."

-Tyrion
01-07-2017 03:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 27 users Like Rhyme or Reason's post:
The Lizard of Oz, Cr33pin, philosophical_recovery, Pollito, Poker, kaotic, Saccade, SamuelBRoberts, aeroektar, LeoneVolpe, Swell, scotian, spokepoker, Renzy, Adonis, FireStarter, captain_shane, Benoit, Windom Earle, Parzival, DeltaSmelt, DJ-Matt, PapayaTapper, Onto, Lika, RIslander, hewey
TheMaleBrain Offline
Chubby Chaser
Gold Member

RE: Patrick Swayze Appreciation Thread
Don't forget the epic appearance in Donnie Darko

"I love a fulfilling and sexual relationship. That is why I make the effort to have many of those" - TheMaleBrain
"Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
01-07-2017 03:56 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like TheMaleBrain's post:
Cr33pin, Rhyme or Reason, kaotic, Windom Earle, R_Niko
Cr33pin Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

One of the all time greats in my opinion. His acting and character in Point Break (highly underrated movie) was timeless. He could do it all and stayed humble and grounded. Excellent thread, plus one from me.

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2017 04:15 PM by Cr33pin.)
01-07-2017 04:09 PM
[-] The following 7 users Like Cr33pin's post:
philosophical_recovery, Rhyme or Reason, kaotic, spokepoker, DeltaSmelt, Sam Malone, DJ-Matt
Kona Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

I was wondering why he hadn't made any new movies.

Pain don't hurt.

Aloha!
01-07-2017 04:50 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kona's post:
Rhyme or Reason
Zeek Offline
Male Feminist

He was excellent in Point Break, he managed to transcend the limitations of acting with Keanu and gave the role a real sense of believability and even some gravitas. Interesting that he had a knee injury just like Johnny Utah, did they take that idea from Swayze's history? I liked that he was willing to make fun of his relatively small stature in Roadhouse, I can't imagine Tom Cruise ever doing that.
01-07-2017 04:58 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Zeek's post:
Rhyme or Reason, Cr33pin
MajorStyles Offline
Chubby Chaser

The line "Nobody puts baby in a corner" was cheesy as fuck.

But you know that the average girl got the tingles at the concept behind the scene: being dragged out of a formal party by an older bad boy, so that he can pound her roughly from behind. Notice how her legs wobble as he leads her out of the room.

"Action still preserves for us a hope that we may stand erect." - Thucydides (from History of the Peloponnesian War)
01-07-2017 05:02 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MajorStyles's post:
kaotic
Rhyme or Reason Away
True Player
Gold Member

(01-07-2017 04:58 PM)Zeek Wrote:  He was excellent in Point Break, he managed to transcend the limitations of acting with Keanu and gave the role a real sense of believability and even some gravitas. Interesting that he had a knee injury just like Johnny Utah, did they take that idea from Swayze's history? I liked that he was willing to make fun of his relatively small stature in Roadhouse, I can't imagine Tom Cruise ever doing that.

That's a good question, I have no idea. But it's not at all an uncommon story. For example Gordon Ramsey was slated to be a pro soccer player when he suffered an injury and went on to become a world class chef.

"We started out as friends and didn't have much emotional feelings. However, as I got to know her more, I found that she was a diamond hidden away in the chaos of sloots around me."

-Tyrion
01-07-2017 05:06 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rhyme or Reason's post:
Zeek
Kona Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

The real star of Dirty Dancing, Jerry Orbach aka Lennie Briscoe has also passed away.

Aloha!
01-07-2017 06:15 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Kona's post:
Sam Malone, R_Niko
LeoneVolpe Offline
True Player
Gold Member

Another great but certainly more obscure role for Swayze was from the supernatural 80s anthology series, "Amazing Stories."

Episode: "Life on Death Row"
Original Air Date: 11-10-1986
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0511102/

Quote:Years before The Green Mile, a murderer on death row finds himself infused with the incredible power to heal by touch. A desperate race to halt his execution builds to a miraculous climax.

As the synopsis above states, this came out way before "The Green Mile," and, in my opinion, does a far better job of telling essentially the same kind of story in FAR less time.

I tried finding a link on YouTube but was unsuccessful, I'm sure some of you guys are far better at finding TV shows/movies online than I am.

MrLeoneVolpe @ Twitter
LeoneVolpe @ gab.ai
LeoneVolpe @ WordPress
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2017 06:52 PM by LeoneVolpe.)
01-07-2017 06:42 PM
aeroektar Offline
Wingman

Great actor, my favorite role of his was in Point Break.

Even Julian loves Patrick Swayze.

The first movie I have memories of seeing is Ghost when I was a young boy, it came out in 1990 and I think I saw it right around the time when my brain started to form lasting memories and also figure out sex/romance/procreation. I love the song in this scene and I think there's a link there.

(This post was last modified: 01-07-2017 07:36 PM by aeroektar.)
01-07-2017 06:50 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like aeroektar's post:
Rhyme or Reason, IvanDrago, scotian
Thomas Jackson Offline
Beta Orbiter

Red Dawn is an all time great movie as well. Swayze was a legend - RIP.
01-07-2017 07:33 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Thomas Jackson's post:
Onto
Swell Offline
Chubby Chaser
Gold Member

My crew uses Swayze as a synonym for sex. i.e Getting Swayze, or Did You get Swayze last night?

STEEL DAWN is my favourite Patrick Swayze film.

"to thrive in that hunger." -Balkan
01-07-2017 08:15 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Swell's post:
aeroektar
scotian Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

I knew someone would bring up Trailer Park Boys haha, my personal favourite (starts at 0:50) "Patrick Swayze you were so fucking sexy in Road House, fucking Dirty Dancing" BOOM!

I'm ready to help Scheer put Trudeau back in the cuckshed where he belongs. HSLD
01-07-2017 08:19 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like scotian's post:
aeroektar, DJ-Matt, booshala, PapayaTapper
Uzisuicide Offline
Recovering Beta
Gold Member

Loved "Red Dawn", first PG-13 movie. He was a good actor but died without children. Evolutionary dead end. Sad.
01-07-2017 08:20 PM
Gustavus Adolphus Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

(01-07-2017 07:33 PM)Thomas Jackson Wrote:  Red Dawn is an all time great movie as well. Swayze was a legend - RIP.

Don't cry! Hold it back. Let it turn to something else. Just let it turn to something else, ok?

Dallas Meetups
01-07-2017 09:15 PM
[-] The following 5 users Like Gustavus Adolphus's post:
Thomas Jackson, Matsufubu, Onto, Vaun, Uzisuicide
RoastBeefCurtains4Me Online
Alpha Male

I was always a fan too. I liked Next of Kin in addition to the others mentioned here. I watched one of those A&E biographies on him once, and it gave the impression that critics hated all of his movies. Just goes to show how there are some great movies that get bad reviews from the critics

I'm the tower of power, too sweet to be sour. I'm funky like a monkey. Sky's the limit and space is the place!
-Randy Savage
01-08-2017 12:07 AM
manly5000 Offline
Beta Orbiter

God I want my childhood back. Fuck this gay ass Berenstain timeline.
01-08-2017 12:10 AM
puckerman Offline
True Player

He also appeared on an episode of MASH as a soldier who gets a leukemia diagnosis. I tried to find the clip, but couldn't. It's kind of frustrating how much stuff gets removed from Youtube.
01-08-2017 01:11 AM
Parzival Offline
Alpha Male

(01-07-2017 05:06 PM)Rhyme or Reason Wrote:  
(01-07-2017 04:58 PM)Zeek Wrote:  He was excellent in Point Break, he managed to transcend the limitations of acting with Keanu and gave the role a real sense of believability and even some gravitas. Interesting that he had a knee injury just like Johnny Utah, did they take that idea from Swayze's history? I liked that he was willing to make fun of his relatively small stature in Roadhouse, I can't imagine Tom Cruise ever doing that.

That's a good question, I have no idea. But it's not at all an uncommon story. For example Gordon Ramsey was slated to be a pro soccer player when he suffered an injury and went on to become a world class chef.

To become a pro in sports you not only need the skills and the training, also the body to not have major injuries. I know some guys with those I played football (soccer) and they had be very skilled. Some of them had to fight with pain and injuries after almost every game. Seems like all their talent was to much for a higher level.
Seen some interviews with German football players, some of them say they hadn't be the best in skills and talent, just in determination and be lucky that their body could make it.

Patrick Swayze, like his movies. Seen road house a few times. Point Break was very good and I guess most know Dirty Dancing. Also like his older - gang movies.

Even when he plays the "bad" or thug guy, you often have a sense that below this is a good person. Someone that do his actions because he need to and not because he want to.

For us, these conflicts can be resolved by appeal to the deeply ingrained higher principle embodied in the law, that individuals have the right (within defined limits) to choose how to live. But this Western notion of individualism and tolerance is by no means a conception in all cultures. - Theodore Dalrymple
01-08-2017 05:31 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Parzival's post:
scotian
stugatz Offline
Chubby Chaser

The "Be Nice" monologue was always my favorite from Roadhouse.

"What if he says mah mama's a whore?"

"Is she?"
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2017 07:12 AM by stugatz.)
01-08-2017 07:11 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like stugatz's post:
Matsufubu, Rhyme or Reason
BlackUniform Offline
Banned

Never understood why you Americans got so much boner because of your celebrities, even men. They are basically just clowns, all of them, actors, singers. Garbage man has more value than every single of these fuckers combined.
01-08-2017 07:20 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like BlackUniform's post:
TigerMandingo, britchard
Matsufubu Online
Wingman

^^^

Be nice!
01-08-2017 07:35 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Matsufubu's post:
stugatz, Rhyme or Reason
Cr33pin Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

(01-08-2017 07:20 AM)BlackUniform Wrote:  Never understood why you Americans got so much boner because of your celebrities, even men. They are basically just clowns, all of them, actors, singers. Garbage man has more value than every single of these fuckers combined.

Please remind us again of how amazing your life is and how you accomplished so much more then that clown Patrick Swayze.... Gypsy fucker
[Image: willy-wonka-wilder.jpg]

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2017 08:47 AM by Cr33pin.)
01-08-2017 08:45 AM
[-] The following 9 users Like Cr33pin's post:
scotian, Rhyme or Reason, puckerman, Swell, Tokyo Joe, DJ-Matt, Gard1983, zphyer7, Onto
Engineer Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

(01-08-2017 07:20 AM)BlackUniform Wrote:  Never understood why you Americans got so much boner because of your celebrities, even men. They are basically just clowns, all of them, actors, singers. Garbage man has more value than every single of these fuckers combined.

Sad, 3/10 would not be trolled by again. But I would be interested in hearing why your country so easily invaded in 1938.
01-08-2017 08:52 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Engineer's post:
Rhyme or Reason
BlackUniform Offline
Banned

(01-08-2017 08:52 AM)Engineer Wrote:  Sad, 3/10 would not be trolled by again. But I would be interested in hearing why your country so easily invaded in 1938.

Sorry bro, I am of German ancestry, we invaded. :-D

Cr33pin : It was not particularly aimed at Mr. Swayze but more at that mindset around celebrities. Nevertheless it was more like off-topic post. More likely that it's not common to see Franklin, Patton, Ford Appreciation Thread than this. Something to think about before dissing or accusing of trolling. It was meant completely seriously, in rough form but I speak like that in person.
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2017 09:14 AM by BlackUniform.)
01-08-2017 09:02 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Athlone McGinnis Appreciation Thread Tuthmosis 44 10,599 06-23-2017 06:51 PM
Last Post: Il Bersagliere
  The MikeCF appreciation thread 2Wycked 375 73,243 06-19-2017 06:17 PM
Last Post: ElFlaco
Lightbulb Salsa Music Appreciation Thread DrCotard 66 7,653 06-19-2017 07:44 AM
Last Post: JayMillz