I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Are smartphones to blame for women's deteriorating social skills?
rafaeld Offline
Robin
Gold Member

Are smartphones to blame for women's deteriorating social skills?
Due to a flight cancellation I was stuck in an airport somewhere in south-east Asia for 9 hours today.

While I was sitting at the table eating chow mein a cute little Chinese girl walked over and asked if she could sit down. I said sure go ahead.

We got chatting and she was great at holding a conversation. She filled in the gaps with talking about her life, asked questions related to what I had just spoke about and just displayed good basic all-round conversational skills. She had a very demure and cute attitude, and what I liked even more was that she didn't pull her smartphone out once while we were talking.

Until I asked how she makes her living. Then she pulled out her phone to show me. Turns out she's some sort of minor Instagram personality and has an account on this Chinese app (not sure what it's called but the icon looks like an owl). On this app, you broadcast your life (e.g. playing music, singing, chatting or whatever) and your fans send you gifts, which are redeemable for cash. It's kind of like being a camgirl without ever having to get naked.

So this is a girl that literally makes her living on her smartphone. Yet her ability to hold a real conversation without pulling it out or getting distracted seemed remarkably intact.

Contrast this to the next group of three girls I went to talk to, one of whom literally pulled out her phone and started going through Facebook as I was opening them. I asked her "are you one of those people who's addicted to their phones?". She looked embarrassed and put it down only to pick it up again compulsively two minutes later.

Why were these two scenarios so different? Why was the conversational ability of the first girl intact but not for the second girl?

Perhaps it's an age difference thing. The first girl was 28, the second group looked around 18-22.

Or could it be there is some other underlying cultural phenomenon that is driving this, not the actual smartphone itself? Maybe it's because the first girl was using her smartphone to produce rather than consume and this carried over into her conversational skills. So maybe it's not smartphones that are the problem, rather an attitude of consumption over production (entertain me while I give nothing back).

My blog: https://fireandforget.co

"There's something primal about choking a girl. I always choke a girl as soon as possible after meeting her, it never fails to get the pussy juices flowing."
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2017 05:27 AM by rafaeld.)
02-16-2017 05:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes rafaeld's post:
yellowfever
The Catalyst Online
Pelican

RE: The destructive effect of smartphones on women's ability to communicate
I think it's more of a case of how addictive(or broken) your personality is in general. The less healthy you are and less you connect with other people, the more you get addicted to things(in this case, smartphones). Women are especially susceptible because so many inane things cater to women and also they get more attention and also crave attention more.
02-16-2017 05:30 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like The Catalyst's post:
questor70, SpiderKing
Razor Beast Offline
Woodpecker

RE: Are smartphones to blame for women's deteriorating social skills?
Feminism is a big cause and in some places gender ratios can play a role as well. In the west women have no incentive to develop social skills when they can get their pick of men 2+ points higher on the attractiveness scale with minimal effort. Feminism tells them they don't need to put in any effort to land a quality man, that man should accept them as they are. And since plenty of thirsty men are doing just that, the behavior gets reinforced.

Roosh has covered this in some of his writings - but the smartphone addiction is all about the chase for the next big dopamine hit they get from the hundreds of likes she gets from a revealing instagram selfie to the famous athlete who matched with her on tinder.

See the thread about the college girl who ignored the unknown olympic athlete on tinder and went viral.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2017 05:49 AM by Razor Beast.)
02-16-2017 05:42 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes Razor Beast's post:
Khan
Mage Offline
Banned

Smartphones are with us actually a rather brief time - currently legal girls had childhood in a pre-smartphone era. So while smartphones do have some effect on overall personality on communication style it is still not the sole factor.

In future expect young people who now as children get their first smartphone as soon as they start going to school, sometimes even before that - these children will surely have a very messed up attention span and will find it hard to concentrate on real "snail" world where things happen slowly as opposed to virtual world where you can get dopamine rush from a funny video a phone game or someone liking your pic or messaging you every minute.

The currently legal girls still grew up playing with rubber bands, but look at children now - unless hey have smart parents who restrict them somehow they are all glued to the screens playing minecraft and watching youtube at age of 5.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2017 05:56 AM by Mage.)
02-16-2017 05:44 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mage's post:
Speculation
TheWhiteWolf Offline
Banned

In their defense the social skills of the average millennial man are not that great as well
02-16-2017 06:24 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheWhiteWolf's post:
questor70
britchard Offline
Pelican

(02-16-2017 06:24 AM)TheWhiteWolf Wrote:  In their defense the social skills of the average millennial man are not that great as well

Just what I was about to say. The title should probably be 'are smartphones to blame for the general deterioration in social skills', and the answer would be a resounding yes.

I think that the main game changer was the iPhone, and wifi being everywhere, which both became common in around 2007.

Due to this, I think there will be quite a big difference between kids born after around 2003 and those before. If you are brought up the normal way (i.e. not glued to a screen, and to some parents credit, there are still a lot of kids brought up properly) then you will always know the basic interactions that humans have.

I'd liken it to a chimpanzee being placed in isolation then being reintroduced to its tribe when it's an adult. It would have no idea how to communicate, what stuff means, etc. I think that's the problem a lot of kids who have iPads and the like from age 3 and above will encounter.
02-16-2017 06:46 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like britchard's post:
Matsufubu, Buck Wild
Ski pro Offline
Banned

I was sat in a restaurant last night with 2 mates, all of us 30+. Not one of us looked at their phone durng the course of an hour, we had great conversation and loads of laughs.

Next to us were two girls who couldn't have been more than 18. They both were glued to their phone for the entire time that they were there, literally ignoring each other and hunched over their screen. In the past I have enforced a phone stack in the middle of the table to keep people off their phones during meals.

It's a generational thing for sure and it's not going to turn out well. The only hope is that the next generation that comes along suddenly decides it's cool to have real conversations in the same way that this next generation are supposedly more conservative than the ones that went before them.
(This post was last modified: 02-16-2017 03:47 PM by Ski pro.)
02-16-2017 03:46 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Ski pro's post:
debeguiled, Suits
Khan Offline
Kingfisher
Gold Member

Both smartphones, as well as poor parental upbringing. The majority of today's young women live in neutered families which are absent of clear rules of behavior imposed by a patriarch father. They're constantly coddled and pampered. Whereas such upbringing creates effeminate and broken men, for women it helps to unleash their narcissistic impulses and turn them into bitches.

In short, I'd say the first girl from the OP's example had a good father who taught her manners.
02-16-2017 04:05 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Khan's post:
estraudi, debeguiled, rafaeld
kosko Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

(02-16-2017 05:44 AM)Mage Wrote:  Smartphones are with us actually a rather brief time - currently legal girls had childhood in a pre-smartphone era. So while smartphones do have some effect on overall personality on communication style it is still not the sole factor.

In future expect young people who now as children get their first smartphone as soon as they start going to school, sometimes even before that - these children will surely have a very messed up attention span and will find it hard to concentrate on real "snail" world where things happen slowly as opposed to virtual world where you can get dopamine rush from a funny video a phone game or someone liking your pic or messaging you every minute.

The currently legal girls still grew up playing with rubber bands, but look at children now - unless hey have smart parents who restrict them somehow they are all glued to the screens playing minecraft and watching youtube at age of 5.

You sure about that?

First Generation iPhone came out in 2007. Any girl legal now would have had one as she entered HS 100%. Before that Blackberry still, has a lot of traction with BBM still the name of the game.

What made smartphones blow up was easy and full data access that had kept women locked in 24/7 which all came around the time when 3G technology took off. Smartphones were not "smart" until 3G which had 200 million people locked into it by 2008.

These girls have been locked in for well over a decade now. I see girls being able to text and type on the screen without even looking at it. Complete crazy levels of addiction to the phones now, they have become an extension of them you can glean the worst qualities of women that they try to hide from their current habits to smartphones.
02-17-2017 09:28 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes kosko's post:
DJ-Matt
Easy_C Offline
Crow

It doesn't help, but there is another statistic that is at an all time record: the number of people who grew up without having both parents in the household.

I'd wager that is a much more important cause. I've found that women who grew up in a more normal household(stay at home mom), while they may be smartphone addicted, are generally capable of at least holding a conversation without it.
02-17-2017 05:33 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Easy_C's post:
Bluto
Kona Offline
Crow
Gold Member

I think deteroriating social skills are the reason for the rise in smartphone usage. Steve jobs saw it, and capitalized.

I've been banging one of my 21 year old sisters friends. The way this girl talks just drives me to drink. Let's call it "urbanized."

We were driving and it started to drizzle and her comment was "DAT rain though" and that was it.

You should here these sluts talk amongst themselves. Its just shameful.

Aloha!
02-17-2017 05:55 PM
[-] The following 8 users Like Kona's post:
Rhyme or Reason, John Michael Kane, debeguiled, Tokyo Joe, SpiderKing, Buck Wild, Bluto, Isaac Jordan
Felix88 Offline
Kingfisher

I think women never have good social skills in the first place.

If they're young and look good enough they're almost never have to go out of their way to get what they want.
But once they got older reality hit hard.

It's all about dopamine and adrenaline,
everything in life is about drugs.
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2017 06:51 PM by Felix88.)
02-17-2017 06:49 PM
kmhour Offline
Woodpecker

(02-17-2017 05:55 PM)Kona Wrote:  I've been banging one of my 21 year old sisters friends. The way this girl talks just drives me to drink. Let's call it "urbanized."

We were driving and it started to drizzle and her comment was "DAT rain though" and that was it.

has she ever invited you to cash her ousside?
02-17-2017 06:56 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  "Women On Social Media Are Proving That Saggy Boobs Are Beautiful, Too" Thot Leader 64 16,749 10-01-2019 05:12 AM
Last Post: 66Scorpio
  "Economically Unattractive" Men to Blame For Low Marriage Rate Baphomet 128 15,500 09-11-2019 02:50 PM
Last Post: Manbeline
  Banning Smartphones for kids under 16 Barron 29 3,866 05-09-2019 03:32 AM
Last Post: Unikorn