Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Where Should I Open an Ayahuasca Retreat Center?
puckerman Offline
True Player

Where Should I Open an Ayahuasca Retreat Center?
I would like to thank this site and this board. It is the place where I first learned about ayahuasca. Several posters here encouraged me to do it. Now I've done 37 ceremonies since my first on 12 September 2014. I also just got back from an actual retreat in Peru, which was an amazing experience.

Now I am inspired to open my own place. I certainly want to learn more about ayahuasca and how it works. But I am also asking myself: "Where should I do it?"

Ideally, I would like a country with a tropical climate, where I could possibly grow it on my own. I would also like a country that speaks either English or Spanish. I am looking for a good legal environment. I am also looking for a country where family values are still important (like South America).

Probably the majority of centers are in Peru, and most of those are in and around Iquitos. But there are others around Tarapoto and Pucallpa. Outside the Amazona, there are retreats around Cusco and Lima.

Ayahuasca retreats are also in Ecuador, Colombia, and Bolivia. You can also find it in Brazil, but I don't want to learn Portuguese. It is explicitly illegal in Chile, and I don't know about Argentina or Uruguay. Other countries are too remote to consider.

I would also consider any country in Central America or the Caribbean. Centers are also opening in Mexico.

The USA is out. Canada is out.

So, what do you think would be the best option? Thank you.
06-18-2017 02:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Robert Plant Offline
Chubby Chaser

RE: Where Should I Open an Ayahuasca Retreat Center?
Turn on, Tune in and Drop out!
06-18-2017 03:00 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Robert Plant's post:
whiteknightrises, Cortés
Luvianka Offline
Wingman
Silver Member

(06-18-2017 02:58 PM)puckerman Wrote:  I would like to thank this site and this board. It is the place where I first learned about ayahuasca. Several posters here encouraged me to do it. Now I've done 37 ceremonies since my first on 12 September 2014. I also just got back from an actual retreat in Peru, which was an amazing experience.

Now I am inspired to open my own place. I certainly want to learn more about ayahuasca and how it works. But I am also asking myself: "Where should I do it?"

Ideally, I would like a country with a tropical climate, where I could possibly grow it on my own. I would also like a country that speaks either English or Spanish. I am looking for a good legal environment. I am also looking for a country where family values are still important (like South America).

Probably the majority of centers are in Peru, and most of those are in and around Iquitos. But there are others around Tarapoto and Pucallpa. Outside the Amazona, there are retreats around Cusco and Lima.

Ayahuasca retreats are also in Ecuador, Colombia, and Bolivia. You can also find it in Brazil, but I don't want to learn Portuguese. It is explicitly illegal in Chile, and I don't know about Argentina or Uruguay. Other countries are too remote to consider.

I would also consider any country in Central America or the Caribbean. Centers are also opening in Mexico.

The USA is out. Canada is out.

So, what do you think would be the best option? Thank you.

Tijuana, Mexico. Where gringos go for cheap treatments.
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. This is a gringo town full packed of retireees who got sick of fishing in Oregon, lots of Vietnam vets.
Playa del Cramen, Mexico. Check out my data sheet.
Havana, Cuba. No, wait. President Trump gives a shit about Cuba.

With God's help, I'll conquer this terrible affliction.

By way of deception, thou shalt game women.

Diaboli virtus in lumbar est -The Devil's virtue is in his loins.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2017 03:26 PM by Luvianka.)
06-18-2017 03:24 PM
puckerman Offline
True Player

(06-18-2017 03:24 PM)Luvianka Wrote:  Tijuana, Mexico. Where gringos go for cheap treatments.
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. This is a gringo town full packed of retireees who got sick of fishing in Oregon, lots of Vietnam vets.
Playa del Cramen, Mexico. Check out my data sheet.
Havana, Cuba. No, wait. President Trump gives a shit about Cuba.

Yes, Cuba is out.

Tijuana would be a good place for one-nighters and stuff like that. What kind of airport does it have? I want to draw more customers than just people from LA and southern California.

Playa del Carmen is a resort area, so it might be pretty good.

I don't know much about San Miguel de Allende. What kind of airport access does it have?

I should have mentioned that in my original post. I would need to have a good airport nearby. By a good airport, I mean either a major hub with international flights or one that has plenty of direct options to major hubs.
06-18-2017 03:44 PM
debeguiled Offline
True Player
Gold Member

In your mind.

"Never underestimate the power of millions of lonely men."

Anonymous 4Chaner quoted by Tim Pool on Rubin Report.
06-18-2017 04:22 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like debeguiled's post:
Kona, Tokyo Joe, birthday cat, BallsDeep
captain_shane Offline
Wingman

Costa Rica maybe?
06-18-2017 04:34 PM
Luvianka Offline
Wingman
Silver Member

Tijuana, TJ for the locals, has an international airport. But the most important thing is that the place is crowded of gringos buying in the local drugstores the medicine and treatments that, for whatever the reason are overpriced or prohibited in America.
San Miguel is 2 hr from León, a city with a huge international airport. 30 years ago, San Miguel was a sorry ass Mexican town where you could make a decent life with US$300 a month. The low prices combined with a gorgeous climate atracted many American retirees. They bought old houses for pennies. The houses were renovated, converted into hostels, restaurants, art galleries or just simply gorgeous restored houses. Today, this town is a major touristic attraction, where Americans triple Mexicans, and you can find many veterans healing from PTSD.
Playa del Carmen is full packed of drugs. There's a pusher every 30 yd. You can sell another drug.

With God's help, I'll conquer this terrible affliction.

By way of deception, thou shalt game women.

Diaboli virtus in lumbar est -The Devil's virtue is in his loins.
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2017 04:50 PM by Luvianka.)
06-18-2017 04:44 PM
redbeard Offline
True Player
Gold Member

Wtf

edit:

Laugh6

No Days Off in Trump's America
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2017 09:21 PM by redbeard.)
06-18-2017 09:18 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes redbeard's post:
JohnKreese
Brother Abdul Majeed Online
Beta Orbiter
Gold Member

Bocas Del Toro in Panama

http://www.bocasdeltoro.com/

Great beaches and wildlife, and it's in the Caribbean sea, but only a half hour's water taxi ride to the mainland. Costa Rica is only an hour away.
Panama has an excellent business climate as well. Surfers and ecotorists come here from all over the world.
Bocas town has about 50 restaurants and bars, but the real beauty is when you get out the the jungle areas, both on Isla Colon (where I live) and on some of the other islands. Land here is also not that expensive.
It's easy to get to, a 45 minute flight from Panama City, 3 times a day in low season and more flights are added in high season, and there's a flight from San Jose in Costa Rica about twice a week.

Dirka dirka
(This post was last modified: 06-18-2017 09:49 PM by Brother Abdul Majeed.)
06-18-2017 09:41 PM
GlobalMan Offline
True Player
Gold Member

You say that you enjoy partaking in this activity, and that this has inspired you to open your own retreat. Can you explain further why you want to get into the business of operating a retreat, specifically?

I ask because there are millions of people out there who have thought "Well I like going to bars, I should open a bar!", or "I like restaurants and food, I should open a restaurant!"

Very often in these cases it would be much cheaper and in fact more enjoyable to just be a consumer of the things you like doing rather than try to turn those things into a (fairly complex) business. Many people imagine that turning their passion into a business will just allow them to enjoy more of that passion more frequently, but most often it does not work out that way.

What are the factors that make your proposed retreat different or better than those already available?

Do you have experience in operating a physical, employee based business? One which has potentially high liability factors?

Do you have experience operating such a business in Latin America?

Do you have access to an authentic Shaman, or at least an old Indio looking man who can speak unintelligibly at the appropriate moments?

What are the main personal desires that you hope will be fulfilled by operating this retreat?

Are there other ways these desires can be fulfilled- such as making your money in a more lucrative, less risky/capital intensive, location independent endeavor which allows you to enjoy this activity more frequently but without the hassle?

I do not say any of this in order to dissuade you, only to hopefully help you consider all the angles.

(This post was last modified: 06-19-2017 01:22 AM by GlobalMan.)
06-19-2017 01:08 AM
[-] The following 7 users Like GlobalMan's post:
Suits, redbeard, debeguiled, birthday cat, BallsDeep, Isaac Jordan, NovaVirtu
Zelcorpion Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

I know some which have sprung up in the Czech Republic and people make decent money off it.
06-19-2017 01:51 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Zelcorpion's post:
debeguiled
Suits Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

(06-19-2017 01:08 AM)GlobalMan Wrote:  You say that you enjoy partaking in this activity, and that this has inspired you to open your own retreat. Can you explain further why you want to get into the business of operating a retreat, specifically?

I ask because there are millions of people out there who have thought "Well I like going to bars, I should open a bar!", or "I like restaurants and food, I should open a restaurant!"

What are the factors that make your proposed retreat different or better than those already available?

Do you have experience in operating a physical, employee based business? One which has potentially high liability factors?

Do you have experience operating such a business in Latin America?

Do you have access to an authentic Shaman, or at least an old Indio looking man who can speak unintelligibly at the appropriate moments?

What are the main personal desires that you hope will be fulfilled by operating this retreat?

I think that these questions and concerned can addressed fairly accurately by reading through OP's past thread titles.

Phony Huggers (where OP documented his poor reading of social cues)

Libertarian Party discussion (OP will be in for a shock when he discovers how much corruption one has to deal with when operating a business in a third world country)

Would you approach a homeless woman? (where OP documented his willingness to scrape the bottom of the barrel to get laid)

Conclusion: I doubt there is going to be any legitimate follow through on this idea.

"I can count on one hand, literally, the number of women I have ever met that can take that kind of advice, accept it and make use of it without their epic egos setting metaphorical fire to the conversation.

Most women "looking for advice" are in reality looking for someone to validate their cosmic victimhood, because it's not really their fault, because it's never their fault. This behavioural trait isn't absent among men, but when we fail society cares not, while when women fail there is no shortage of comforting platitudes on offer from every vector.
"

-Leonard D Neubache
06-19-2017 02:13 AM
[-] The following 5 users Like Suits's post:
Zelcorpion, GlobalMan, redbeard, Dream Medicine, NovaVirtu
puckerman Offline
True Player

(06-19-2017 01:08 AM)GlobalMan Wrote:  You say that you enjoy partaking in this activity, and that this has inspired you to open your own retreat. Can you explain further why you want to get into the business of operating a retreat, specifically?

It's a booming industry right now. I also have some ideas which might give me an edge over the competition. I have done 37 ceremonies and very much believe in this.

One place where I would like to this is in the area of learning disabilities. I wonder if I could take kids who are getting F's in math class and turn them into A students. I have actual had my vision improve because of ayahuasca.

I also want to get out of my career and out of the USA. This creates a chance to do both.

Quote:Do you have experience in operating a physical, employee based business? One which has potentially high liability factors?

I'm not doing it in America. The biggest liability of doing business in America is the possibility of a totally stupid lawsuit. Other countries do not have this problem. In America, you can sue McDonald's for putting a cup of coffee between your legs and then spilling. It's not like this in other countries.
06-19-2017 10:47 PM
Suits Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

(06-19-2017 10:47 PM)puckerman Wrote:  

It's a booming industry right now. I also have some ideas which might give me an edge over the competition. I have done 37 ceremonies and very much believe in this.

All the successful bar owners I know don't drink in their own bars.

Create a business in an industry where the numbers for doing so make sense, not a business in an industry that you have an emotional attachment to.

Quote:One place where I would like to this is in the area of learning disabilities. I wonder if I could take kids who are getting F's in math class and turn them into A students. I have actual had my vision improve because of ayahuasca.

Is it just me or is a business based on giving kids hallucinogenics a really, really bad idea?

(06-19-2017 10:47 PM)puckerman Wrote:  I also want to get out of my career and out of the USA. This creates a chance to do both.

That's a good reason to change careers and/or leave the USA. It's not a good reason to invest time and money into a business that you may not have the skills/resources to run successful or for which a business plan (which accounts for all costs) hasn't been created.

Start a business where you stand a good chance of success. Do your hobbies in your free time.

(06-19-2017 10:47 PM)puckerman Wrote:  
Quote:Do you have experience in operating a physical, employee based business? One which has potentially high liability factors?

I'm not doing it in America. The biggest liability of doing business in America is the possibility of a totally stupid lawsuit. Other countries do not have this problem. In America, you can sue McDonald's for putting a cup of coffee between your legs and then spilling. It's not like this in other countries.

If you think that the risk of lawsuits is too big to justify starting a business in the US, then just wait till you discover how much corruption in a third world country is going to hinder your path to success.

Baby steps. Try living and working in a country where you may be interested in doing business in the future before you make big plans based primarily on emotions, rather than clear cut math.

"I can count on one hand, literally, the number of women I have ever met that can take that kind of advice, accept it and make use of it without their epic egos setting metaphorical fire to the conversation.

Most women "looking for advice" are in reality looking for someone to validate their cosmic victimhood, because it's not really their fault, because it's never their fault. This behavioural trait isn't absent among men, but when we fail society cares not, while when women fail there is no shortage of comforting platitudes on offer from every vector.
"

-Leonard D Neubache
06-19-2017 11:13 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Suits's post:
birthday cat, redbeard, GlobalMan
birthday cat Offline
Chubby Chaser
Gold Member

It's a hell of a complicated business. Plenty of other liabilities like getting screwed over by your employees, the local government, competitors, etc. You are less likely to get sued over spilled coffee but more likely to get all your money stolen, kidnapped, or killed.

If you've done 37 ceremonies then you should have a lot of contacts. It's very big red flag that you're asking us instead of talking to those contacts.

I think the first step would be to work at one of those retreats for at least one year.
06-19-2017 11:16 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like birthday cat's post:
Suits, redbeard, GlobalMan
GlobalMan Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(06-19-2017 10:47 PM)puckerman Wrote:  The biggest liability of doing business in America is the possibility of a totally stupid lawsuit. Other countries do not have this problem.

I don't think you have much of any idea how other countries' legal systems work, nor their business environments, especially Ecuador, Colombia, Bolivia, Central America and the Caribbean.

Yes you have fewer frivolous lawsuits in those places. The trade off is you have very few protections for your business either, and that is combined with often being subjected to completely arbitrary and unpredictable rules and decisions that could end your business. And that is via the official legal and business regulations. There is a whole other world outside of that one which you will most likely have to deal with (varying by location), whether you want to or not.

Frivolous lawsuits are a minor problem compared to all the challenges and difficulties of running a physical, local business in most of Latin America, which will include real estate, banking, employees and more. Any one of those aspects can be a nightmare to navigate for a gringo, even for someone who has lived in South America for years.

You don't know which country, you don't know anything about business in any of those countries, you haven't even resided in S.A. as far as I know, but yet you are saying it's less risky to do business there.

What you want to do is possible. But it's not going to be possible for you to do as of right now, not until you get serious and real about this and do both of: 1) Listen to those of us who have lived in Latin America for years and done business there, and 2) Relocate to your desired location and live there for at least a year, living life as simply a resident and everything that entails ... then, after that, you will have at least sufficient experience to consider getting into business in in that location.

At least then you will know what you don't know. Right now, you don't know what you don't know.

And I say all of this even putting aside the fact that you want to give retarded kids ayahuasca, a hallucinogenic drug, with the hope of improving mathematical ability.

Right now this is just AustraliaSucks with Chile real estate round 2.

(This post was last modified: 06-20-2017 12:50 AM by GlobalMan.)
06-20-2017 12:24 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like GlobalMan's post:
BallsDeep, Suits
wi30 Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(06-19-2017 10:47 PM)puckerman Wrote:  I'm not doing it in America. The biggest liability of doing business in America is the possibility of a totally stupid lawsuit. Other countries do not have this problem. In America, you can sue McDonald's for putting a cup of coffee between your legs and then spilling. It's not like this in other countries.

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

McDonald's was selling their coffee at almost 200 degrees Fahrenheit. The old lady in the case suffered third degree burns and only wanted them to pay for the skin grafts, which McDonald's refused to do. They sold the coffee insanely hot because they thought it would keep people in the restaurant longer and they would buy more food. Far from frivolous.

Anyone defending McDonald's in that case is clearly biased and a frequent partaker in Quarter Pounders and McFlurrys.
06-20-2017 12:45 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like wi30's post:
GlobalMan, Suits, captain_shane
captain_shane Offline
Wingman

(06-20-2017 12:45 AM)wi30 Wrote:  
(06-19-2017 10:47 PM)puckerman Wrote:  I'm not doing it in America. The biggest liability of doing business in America is the possibility of a totally stupid lawsuit. Other countries do not have this problem. In America, you can sue McDonald's for putting a cup of coffee between your legs and then spilling. It's not like this in other countries.

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

McDonald's was selling their coffee at almost 200 degrees Fahrenheit. The old lady in the case suffered third degree burns and only wanted them to pay for the skin grafts, which McDonald's refused to do. They sold the coffee insanely hot because they thought it would keep people in the restaurant longer and they would buy more food. Far from frivolous.

Anyone defending McDonald's in that case is clearly biased and a frequent partaker in Quarter Pounders and McFlurrys.

The documentary Hot Coffee talks about this case quite a bit. It's a shame that the majority of the public believes the propaganda put out by McDonalds and others in regards to that case.

These are the burns that happened to her:

[Mod: linked to NSFW images]

https://i1.wp.com/travis.pflanz.me/wp-co...C430&ssl=1

https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-48...a7a77f23-c

Quote:Liebeck died on August 5, 2004, at age 91. According to her daughter, "the burns and court proceedings (had taken) their toll" and in the years following the settlement Liebeck had "no quality of life", and that the settlement had paid for a live-in nurse.
(This post was last modified: 06-20-2017 01:12 AM by captain_shane.)
06-20-2017 01:10 AM
Suits Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

^^^Woah! Not safe for work.

"

-Leonard D Neubache
06-20-2017 01:31 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Suits's post:
GlobalMan
GlobalMan Offline
True Player
Gold Member

Captain, a link would have sufficed man! Burnt grandma crotch needs a warning

06-20-2017 01:47 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Kiev's Center vs Suburbs William Windsor 51 14,195 10-28-2014 06:56 AM
Last Post: diego69
  Yaje/Ayahuasca FilMor 15 4,318 11-11-2013 03:08 PM
Last Post: InternationPlayboy
  Fitness/Bootcamp retreat Steve9 4 2,207 11-11-2013 06:41 AM
Last Post: YMG