I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Miami Vice (TV Show) Appreciation Thread
RexImperator Offline
Crow
Gold Member

Miami Vice (TV Show) Appreciation Thread
Seeing all the posts in the 40+ thread made me realize how hugely influential this show was. It deserves its own thread.

I was about ten years old at the time it aired. I was technically not allowed to watch it by my parents, but I snuck downstairs anyway...

I had the soundtrack on cassette and was fairly obsessed with the show and Jan Hammer's theme song for a while.

Bella, horrida bella
et Thybrim multo spumantem sanguine cerno
07-13-2017 10:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 18 users Like RexImperator's post:
C-Note, Tokyo Joe, rudebwoy, GlobalMan, Mr. D, doc holliday, Brodiaga, The Lizard of Oz, Onto, Benoit, 456, DJ-Matt, Icarus, budoslavic, Duke Castile, Sam Malone, SuS, nomadbrah
miggyme1 Offline
Banned

RE: Miami Vice (TV Show) Appreciation Thread
(07-13-2017 10:36 AM)RexImperator Wrote:  Seeing all the posts in the 40+ thread made me realize how hugely influential this show was. It deserves its own thread.

I was about ten years old at the time it aired. I was technically not allowed to watch it by my parents, but I snuck downstairs anyway...

I had the soundtrack on cassette and was fairly obsessed with the show and Jan Hammer's theme song for a while.

Yep one of the greatest tv shows ever....well the first 2 seasons were. Had a big hand in making miami what it is today. I wish they would put it back on netflix. I binge watched it about a year ago on netflix in one whole sitting(only got up to eat,shit,and piss) one weekend. A lot of the themes in the show are still relevant to this today and are still issues we have here in the U.S. I recommend this show to anybody from all walks of life and any age.
07-13-2017 12:12 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like miggyme1's post:
doc holliday, SuS
ascotpudding Offline
Pigeon

It was fun to watch and ground-breaking for its time.

I think it was the first TV show to use current popular music in each episode. Before then, no TV producer was willing to pay the big license fees for hit music.

The Miami Vice producers saw what was happening on MTV and realized that it would be a big boost to their show's ratings to pay for better music.

My own favorite episode was this one, about a former Vice cop and the mystery of whatever happened to a long-missing drug dealer.

https://infogalactic.com/info/Out_Where_...on%27t_Run

The episode ended with Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms". Here are the last 5 minutes of that episode including the song.

It was the perfect song for that episode about what cop partners will do for each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtw_4eKowN0
07-13-2017 12:32 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like ascotpudding's post:
doc holliday, Icarus, PapayaTapper
Mr. D Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

I was about 4 years old at its heyday, but even I knew the connection between Don Johnson, a white Ferrari Testarossa (although I still prefer the Daytona) and Miami. Hell, I even had a pair of official Miami Vice sunglasses and a toy gun shaped like a Beretta. Every time I'd go play with friends, I'd be the kid screaming "Freeze! Miami Vice! Bang Bang!"

So later when I bought dvds of the first two seasons, man what a nostalgia trip...
07-13-2017 12:42 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Mr. D's post:
Icarus, PapayaTapper
GlobalMan Away
Hummingbird
Gold Member

Americans are dreamers too
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2017 02:00 PM by GlobalMan.)
07-13-2017 01:19 PM
[-] The following 8 users Like GlobalMan's post:
YoungBlade, Kurgan, Brodiaga, Onto, 911, Icarus, budoslavic, Sam Malone
GlobalMan Away
Hummingbird
Gold Member

clip from episode Out Where the Buses Don't Run

Americans are dreamers too
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2017 01:41 PM by GlobalMan.)
07-13-2017 01:36 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes GlobalMan's post:
Icarus
Ski pro Offline
Banned

I absolutely love this show and I have all the episodes on a hard drive somewhere.

Watching it takes us back to a simpler time. I like the flamboyant fashions and the contrast between Crockett and Tubbs. I also had a massive crush on the Italian chick who was crockett's sometime love interest. (Who's name I forget as I write this)

Some of the episodes were a bit weird but generally it's good time, bad guys verses good times, guns, speedboats, drugs, exotic locations and car chases. Love it.

Edit - it was also unique in the use of current pop music in its soundtracks, much like movies which wasn't happening in tv series at the time and also that each character had his own theme music that often repeated through the series.
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2017 02:45 PM by Ski pro.)
07-13-2017 02:42 PM
rudebwoy Away
Peacock
Gold Member

^Gina was sexy as hell.

That period has to be the coolest time in history.

Fave show of all time, I cant even think of a show that comes second.

Our New Blog:

http://www.repstylez.com
07-13-2017 02:46 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 4 users Like rudebwoy's post:
Ski pro, vinman, doc holliday, Icarus
porscheguy Offline
Ostrich

The gun he used was called a "Bren Ten."

The Daytona was actually a conversion kit car based on a corvette C3 chassis. Although it's a good conversion, the giveaway is the the frame around the windshield. It's clearly from a C3 vette.

Ferrari is notorious for stopping at nothing to protect their brand image, and they should be. They bitched about the Daytona fake from the first two seasons and even threatened to file a lawsuit. Eventually the issue was resolved and Ferrari provided the show with two black testarosas that debuted in the episode "when Irish eyes are crying". This is the episode where the Daytona was destroyed. A few episodes later the testarosa returned painted white. I presume they did this to distance it from its first appearance, and because they decided white was more fitting for the Miami backdrop.

I think most agree that the first two seasons were the best. The third was decent, but things really went downhill by season 4. Season 5 was just awful.

It wasn't any one element that set the show apart. It was the combination of factors. It was filmed 100% in south Florida. The producers scrutinized every item that appeared in every scene. You will not see anything with earth tone coloring in the show.

They also filmed each show as if it were a 40 minute movie. Each episode had a unique soundtrack. They touched on every facet of south Florida culture from hood rats in the ghetto, to the Latino drug cartels, and the rednecks on the the fringes.

They took the time to understand the environment they were in, and created stories that fit that environment. No show has done this since then. CSI Miami wanted to be the new Miami vice and failed miserably. That show was filmed in LA. Even much of their stock footage was fake. I remember one time they were watching the sun set over the ocean at the end of an episode. I've seen mountains and hills.

There was nothing like it, and I doubt we'll ever see anything close ever again.
07-13-2017 03:08 PM
[-] The following 7 users Like porscheguy's post:
Mr. D, Monty_Brogan, Chevy Woonsocket, kmhour, Icarus, budoslavic, PapayaTapper
Simeon_Strangelight Offline
Hawk
Gold Member

I stopped watching most new TV series and movies due to feminism, SJW and propaganda infestation.

Currently re-watching old series. Miami Vice is one of them and there is some cool stuff there - especially interesting is the difference in the people there.

Though it is not a fully Red Pill show - it is still enjoyable. The character of Sonny Crocket differs strongly from Don Jonson. Don was a true Alpha - and an asshole one at that. The cop character had too many good-looking White Knight Beta traits put in by the show creators. They should have let him run wild the way he was, just with a strong cop-compass while being the guy he truly was - a good-looking asshole who fucked pretty much any girl he could.

But I guess they absolutely needed to make it more PC.

[Image: giphy.gif]
07-13-2017 03:37 PM
[-] The following 10 users Like Simeon_Strangelight's post:
vinman, Monty_Brogan, Chevy Woonsocket, DrCotard, Onto, Mr. D, DJ-Matt, Icarus, budoslavic, Dismal Operator
Hypno Offline
Hummingbird

Don Johnson's best alpha role was as an accused murderer in Guilty as Sin. Rebecca Demornay co-stars, enough said.
07-13-2017 07:33 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hypno's post:
PapayaTapper
Chevy Woonsocket Offline
Robin

The mixing in of popular music to create a mini-music video was really cool. The show's directors would mute all background noise and let the music play over the scene, creating a surreal enviroment.

I agree with the others, Miami Vice is a unique TV show.
07-13-2017 07:34 PM
tomtud Offline
Pelican

[Image: th?id=OIP.yD_cSAX1vifQFI1Ky37FwwEsEU&...;amp;h=300]

Saundra Santiago aka detective Gina.....at her prime....

[Image: a-a-saundra-santiago.jpg]

She is 60 years old.

[Image: 600px-MV4-SW36-2.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2017 08:04 PM by tomtud.)
07-13-2017 07:59 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like tomtud's post:
doc holliday, Onto
Kurgan Offline
Kingfisher

(07-13-2017 01:19 PM)GlobalMan Wrote:  

One of my favorite songs from that show. They played it in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

The movie remake was god awful. I actually fell asleep and left towards the end.
07-13-2017 09:21 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kurgan's post:
Icarus
Paracelsus Offline
Crow
Gold Member

Series was worth it for the sunglasses gif.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Remissas, discite, vivet.
God save us from people who mean well. -storm
07-13-2017 09:59 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like Paracelsus's post:
Onto, Hypno, Icarus, PapayaTapper
kmhour Offline
Woodpecker

(07-13-2017 09:21 PM)Kurgan Wrote:  The movie remake was god awful. I actually fell asleep and left towards the end.

I may be the only one who liked the movie version. I love Mann's cinematography throughout his oeuvre (Heat is fantastic and Collateral benefited significantly from his vision) but I also liked the way he unabashedly approached critics who wanted or expected a movie version of the show. In interviews he basically said that times had changed and he wanted to make a Miami Vice movie that reflected the current era. I loved his willingness to depart from a formula and go from the pastel television show to a gritty movie.

A couple of articles that take a look back at the movie from a different lens - although I disagree with the AV Club article, I think the movie soundtrack was awesome too.

http://uproxx.com/movies/miami-vice-10-y...hael-mann/
Quote:Given how ubiquitous remakes, reboots, and reimagined franchises have become, Miami Vice now seems like a refreshing curveball, a reminder that a visionary director empowered by a major studio can make an idiosyncratic work of art in the form of a would-be summer blockbuster. Even those who find Miami Vice indulgent or boring can’t accuse it of pandering to fanboys or exploiting tired nostalgia. It is, unapologetically, one of the most expensive art films ever made.

http://www.avclub.com/article/michael-ma...ng-t-97608
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2017 10:30 PM by kmhour.)
07-13-2017 10:28 PM
Paracelsus Offline
Crow
Gold Member

(07-13-2017 10:28 PM)kmhour Wrote:  
(07-13-2017 09:21 PM)Kurgan Wrote:  The movie remake was god awful. I actually fell asleep and left towards the end.

I may be the only one who liked the movie version. I love Mann's cinematography throughout his oeuvre (Heat is fantastic and Collateral benefited significantly from his vision) but I also liked the way he unabashedly approached critics who wanted or expected a movie version of the show. In interviews he basically said that times had changed and he wanted to make a Miami Vice movie that reflected the current era. I loved his willingness to depart from a formula and go from the pastel television show to a gritty movie.

A couple of articles that take a look back at the movie from a different lens - although I disagree with the AV Club article, I think the movie soundtrack was awesome too.

http://uproxx.com/movies/miami-vice-10-y...hael-mann/
Quote:Given how ubiquitous remakes, reboots, and reimagined franchises have become, Miami Vice now seems like a refreshing curveball, a reminder that a visionary director empowered by a major studio can make an idiosyncratic work of art in the form of a would-be summer blockbuster. Even those who find Miami Vice indulgent or boring can’t accuse it of pandering to fanboys or exploiting tired nostalgia. It is, unapologetically, one of the most expensive art films ever made.

http://www.avclub.com/article/michael-ma...ng-t-97608

The only observation I would have about the culthood of the film is this quote from the Uproxx article:

Quote:Miami Vice has even influenced other films, most notably Harmony Korine’s Spring Breakers, which extrapolates Miami Vice‘s “style is substance” aesthetic. “When I watch that film, I don’t even pay attention to what they’re saying or the storyline,” Korine told the New York Times in 2012. “I love the colors. I love the textures.”

This is the same kindergarten approach to filmmaking that gives us Batman v Superman. Not to mention most of Michael Bay's back catalogue. I'll give Mann credit for being a good filmmaker, but it doesn't surprise me that the dumbest generation of narcissists in world history is trying to pick up this film as some sort of serious art form to be emulated.

Remissas, discite, vivet.
God save us from people who mean well. -storm
(This post was last modified: 07-13-2017 10:59 PM by Paracelsus.)
07-13-2017 10:55 PM
kmhour Offline
Woodpecker

you're reading far too much in to the characterization and fitting the line to reach the desired outcome. to say nothing of Mann's vision and filmmaking, the stylistic concept of a gritty modern-day reboot of a pastel 80s classic is born out particularly in the cinematography, in the early digital footage, which was noisy and grainy in perfect sync with the atmosphere and milieu. it's a movie unique in its visual texture tied to the central theme. comparing it to superhero movies or Michael Bay's pyrotechnic splendor is silly.

http://filmmakermagazine.com/2449-the-grain-over-miami
07-13-2017 11:13 PM
uncledick Offline
Woodpecker

(07-13-2017 07:33 PM)Hypno Wrote:  Don Johnson's best alpha role was as an accused murderer in Guilty as Sin. Rebecca Demornay co-stars, enough said.

Nah, a boy and his dog was his most alpha.
07-13-2017 11:23 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like uncledick's post:
RoastBeefCurtains4Me, Atlanta Man
456 Offline
Kingfisher

Don in the show always had great "chat-up lines", usually improvised... as well as a good dose of "bratty kid sister" game and "saying No" game, despite the white knight traits.

Tubbs had good dance floor game, but weak bouts of oneitis.

Gina also played Jeannie Cusamano in The Sopranos.

RICHIE APRILE (David Proval) even had his own Miami Vice episode.

I've binged this show before -- it was actually a great "thing to watch before going out" pumping me up for walks around the West and East Village back in the early Hulu days.
07-14-2017 02:25 AM
Icarus Offline
Ostrich

(07-13-2017 09:21 PM)Kurgan Wrote:  One of my favorite songs from that show. They played it in Grand Theft Auto: Vice City.

Crockett's Theme performed live:

"The great secret of happiness in love is to be glad that the other fellow married her." – H.L. Mencken
12-08-2017 03:36 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Icarus's post:
GlobalMan
budoslavic Offline
Crow
Gold Member

Miami Vice...wow...that's a show I haven't seen or watched in years.

It was my favorite show when I was just starting my senior year of high school. The music soundtracks in the background were groundbreaking, in my opinion. It's how I got into Phil Collins, Dire Straits, etc.

And let's not forget the fashion and hairdo, too. I remember a couple of kids in my high school tried to look like either Crockett or Tubbs.

Good times!

12-08-2017 04:22 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like budoslavic's post:
GlobalMan, C-Note
Simeon_Strangelight Offline
Hawk
Gold Member

Another important difference between the current times is the lack of racism preaching in the TV series. It was simply understood that Tubbs was a good cop, Crockett's partner and he became his best friend. Most of the time they dated within their own race while occasionally Tubbs had other women, but it was not preachy or laden with all this bullshit and forced propaganda that is prevalent in the Black Lives Matter bullshit of today. Keep in mind that Tubbs as a character grew up when blacks were really separated and could not do many professions, not drink out of the same fountains etc.

The show simply refused to cover that, but instead focused on what matters beyond the superficial aspect of race - two men working side by side and becoming real friends. That closes racial divides better than Social Justice bullshit, angry demands or dumb charged speeches by Obama.

[Image: tumblr_mg1h44QhnC1ra202ro1_400.gif]

The funny part is that if you hang around with a mixed group as I did with friends - after a time you simply don't notice the race of the person. Sure - the guy looks different than you, but you honestly don't see it. But so does your white friend also - we are all different. It's frankly the Social Justice Borg who have to drag out constantly the superficial differences or the distant past.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2017 05:04 AM by Simeon_Strangelight.)
12-08-2017 05:03 AM
[-] The following 7 users Like Simeon_Strangelight's post:
Ski pro, Icarus, C-Note, Mr. D, DJ-Matt, Dismal Operator, PapayaTapper
tomzestatlu Offline
Kingfisher

I have never seen it, but I have been listening Crocketts theme last few months everyday.
12-08-2017 06:55 AM
Icarus Offline
Ostrich

(12-08-2017 06:55 AM)tomzestatlu Wrote:  I have never seen it, but I have been listening Crocketts theme last few months everyday.

Try this version:

"The great secret of happiness in love is to be glad that the other fellow married her." – H.L. Mencken
12-08-2017 07:32 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Pewdiepie appreciation thread Rudideviz 158 27,784 09-13-2019 11:08 AM
Last Post: [email protected]
  The Stephen King Appreciation Thread 2Wycked 87 29,790 09-02-2019 02:21 PM
Last Post: robreke
  Kona Appreciation Thread Suits 19 2,249 08-25-2019 07:47 PM
Last Post: SlickyBoy