Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Anyone taken a financial step back to set up a new career?
nek Offline
Alpha Male

Anyone taken a financial step back to set up a new career?
I have a civil engineering degree but I've been working in tech. sales for quite some time. I've basically topped out and would like to get back into actual engineering, but since I haven't been using my degree (no design work, not using engineering software, etc.) I don't see how I could qualify for anything other than an entry level position (lower salary for sure). Has anyone made a transition like this before? What are the odds I'll be able to actually pull this off?

PS I passed the E.I.T. exam but I can't take the PE exam since I haven't been working under any PEs (not that I think I'd be able to pass it at this time).

Civilize the mind but make savage the body.
01-14-2018 12:11 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Laner Offline
True Player
Gold Member

RE: Anyone taken a financial step back to set up a new career?
Yes, but not in the same way you are describing.

When I started my first business and it came to a point where I needed to quit my day job to focus on my own. It was a huge pay cut for at least a year or so.

After a failed business in 2013 I had to go back to my old trade to stay afloat. The money was good but the whole time I was focusing on my next step. So when it came time to jump back into business for myself in 2016 it was, again, a massive pay cut. I took another slash in earnings last June when I took on partners and we bought out our pub-co VCers. Still struggling but I know from previous experience it does not last forever.
01-14-2018 12:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
nek Offline
Alpha Male

(01-14-2018 12:40 AM)Laner Wrote:  Yes, but not in the same way you are describing.

When I started my first business and it came to a point where I needed to quit my day job to focus on my own. It was a huge pay cut for at least a year or so.

After a failed business in 2013 I had to go back to my old trade to stay afloat. The money was good but the whole time I was focusing on my next step. So when it came time to jump back into business for myself in 2016 it was, again, a massive pay cut. I took another slash in earnings last June when I took on partners and we bought out our pub-co VCers. Still struggling but I know from previous experience it does not last forever.

What's pub-co VCers?

Civilize the mind but make savage the body.
01-14-2018 12:48 AM
The Beast1 Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

I have. My wife has been supporting me as I've been setting up a new business. Thank god for her, because once this business starts paying out, she can for all intents and purposes quit her job. Basically took a massive pay cut for pretty much a whole year.

I'm a week or two away from the real gravy. I'm glad I have an excellent wife who helped me through this.
01-14-2018 11:08 AM
brick tamland Offline
Wingman

I assume, public company venture capitalists?
01-14-2018 11:36 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes brick tamland's post:
Laner
Laner Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(01-14-2018 11:36 AM)brick tamland Wrote:  I assume, public company venture capitalists?

Correct.
01-14-2018 01:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Financial Planner- Sales Atticus 5 3,839 08-20-2017 03:51 AM
Last Post: WeekendCasanova
Lightbulb [Business]  Career Coaches HATE HIM - RVF Member Discovers ONE WEIRD TRICK to Career Improvement the Thing 68 19,220 03-25-2017 09:36 AM
Last Post: harveyspecter
  How To Engineer Your Layoff - Financial Samurai redbeard 2 3,402 12-19-2016 07:39 AM
Last Post: NickDunne