My New Book Game Is Finally Here! After two years of hard work, I'm proud to release Game. Click here for full details.

How can I work out around a shoulder injury?
Horus Online
True Player
Gold Member

How can I work out around a shoulder injury?
I'm heading back to the gym tomorrow after many months off with a shoulder injury. I still have many months of physiotherapy before I expect my shoulder to properly recover so I'll be extremely cautious and will take it very slowly. I can't/won't do any pushing movements and I am planning to d
o nothing but squats, deadlifts and pullups until I recover fully. Does this sound like a decent plan and does anyone have any further suggestions?
02-14-2018 08:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
SteezeySteve Offline
Chubby Chaser

RE: How can I work out around a shoulder injury?
what kind of shoulder injury? Slapp tear or rotator cuff? Spare no details on whats up because it all matters.

In general if its still healing go light and focus on getting 'blood flow' to the area instead of trying to make gains. It'll help the tendons heal,and help maintain your mass without risking it getting fucked up even more.

02-16-2018 05:25 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes SteezeySteve's post:
Horus
louiebeans Offline
Recovering Beta

Use the time to work on other healthy muscles and slowly work your way back to "normal" shoulder stuff, like you plan. The last thing you want to do is re-injure yourself and be back at square 1.

(04-21-2014 04:47 AM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  On the cool, she probably had at least one too many tortiillas, but the tetas was mas gorda, comprenede?
02-16-2018 07:36 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes louiebeans's post:
Horus
S3K2 Offline
Recovering Beta

Assuming its a major injury you don't. You skip the gym until it heals. In the mean time, diet your ass off. Your body comes first.

Please don't like my posts or rep me. I do not wish to be judged by how many rep points and/or likes I have.
02-16-2018 12:01 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes S3K2's post:
Horus
SteezeySteve Offline
Chubby Chaser

(02-16-2018 12:01 PM)S3K2 Wrote:  Assuming its a major injury you don't. You skip the gym until it heals. In the mean time, diet your ass off. Your body comes first.
Common idea,but its wrong when we are talking tendon injuries. Movement and blood flow can actually speed up the recovery time,and prevent long term range of motion problems. You just have to be smart about it,know what you're doing,and be in touch with your body. Even if its just cardio that blood flow makes a difference. I think people think "well i might as well sit on my ass and do nothing" because they forget that movement is medicine for the body (especially in our sedentary world). Even if you are limited to power walking its still worth it.

Also don't forget shoulders have a tendency to "lock up" as a safety mechanism when injured so if you haven't done strengthing and stretching post injury that can lead to bad things long term.

If someone has never played a sport in their life and gets injured that's one thing but if you've been an athlete in some way your whole life that changes things. I'll admit its a sensitive subject because most people don't try to develop that 'mind muscle connection' and become in tune with their bodies so it makes it easy to get injured if you just jump right in and do what you did before.

I remember when i was working on straight arm planche leans heavy i could FEEL the bicep tendon being damaged,and it would sting. I was to aggressive with the stress I put on that tendon,but I got away with it because i did the most gay exercise anyone could think of....100 rep low resistance band curls just to get the nutrients delivered to that tendon to let it heal. I had a debilating shoulder injury that was likely a slap tear and did 10lbs dumbbell bench for the same reason.
To be dedicated and consistent with that kind of stuff is way harder than deadlifts because its embarrassing in public,and is no fun but its pretty damn effective. It takes a different kind of strength to not give up on training for good.

Even if you are just working 1 side of the body you should do so because it will help maintain strength in the adjacent side of the body. Obviously don't try to make strength gains and cause imbalance but if you do just enough to maintain it will be worth it.

02-16-2018 12:50 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes SteezeySteve's post:
Horus
S3K2 Offline
Recovering Beta

What you speak of is physical therapy. I didn't go there, didn't want to speculate. I had shoulder surgery 5 years ago and I was out of the gym for 6 months. Dieted my ass off in the mean time and did not lose any muscle in shoulder. (Tape measured). Also, after 6 months off, 2nd week in the gym I was lifting same weight as I was 6 months ago. A high protein diet will save your muscle during an injury/time off of the gym. Of course high homones does to. I was not on gear during this time as well.

Depending on the injury I agree. Working it to get it stronger will help with the recovery.

Please don't like my posts or rep me. I do not wish to be judged by how many rep points and/or likes I have.
02-17-2018 12:00 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like S3K2's post:
kbell, Horus
kbell Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

Took me about a year to regain my strength, not much muscle lost after 5 months no gym following the surgery (2-3 times a week pt though). Haven't really added back bench pressing and over head pushing.
02-17-2018 08:20 PM
Brahman Offline
Game Denialist

I had a slap tear (torn labrum). My shoulder felt like I slept on it all night, doing side planks or shoulder presses would cause that part of my body to shake. My options were surgery to stitch the tear or PT. I went with the latter. After 4-5 months of shoulder, back, and chest exercises, I was able to strengthen the muscles around my labrum and resolve the issue. However, this is something I’ll have to do for the rest of my life since the labrum doesn’t heal on its own.
02-21-2018 12:27 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brahman's post:
Horus
Horus Online
True Player
Gold Member

Thanks guys. I'm going to take it very slowly and carefully.
02-23-2018 06:18 AM
StrikeBack Offline
True Player
Gold Member

You gotta check if it's ok with your injury, but cable machine and band exercises were great for me while rehabbing my shoulder. It was the only kind of resistance that my shoulder was OK with, other types (weight loading) were too much.

StrikeBack's Wife School
02-24-2018 09:15 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes StrikeBack's post:
Horus
Horus Online
True Player
Gold Member

(02-24-2018 09:15 PM)StrikeBack Wrote:  You gotta check if it's ok with your injury, but cable machine and band exercises were great for me while rehabbing my shoulder. It was the only kind of resistance that my shoulder was OK with, other types (weight loading) were too much.

Yeah I've found the same thing. I mostly spent my time at the cable machine since I've been back. For example I can hardly do one dumbell fly due to the pain,, but the cable fly is no problem at all and feels great. I basically did an entire workout of cable chest flys today.
02-26-2018 10:02 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Starting Strength Injury Advice Saucey! 55 22,860 09-10-2018 10:59 PM
Last Post: Dulceácido
  Injury from Arm-Wrestling Beyond Borders 9 5,515 07-02-2018 05:15 PM
Last Post: Beyond Borders
  For those that suffered a serious leg injury from sports.... Banna 3 612 04-29-2018 11:47 PM
Last Post: TravelerKai