Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Buying a Bicycle
BoiBoi Offline
Kingfisher

Buying a Bicycle
My bicycle broke down and now I need a new one. I never had a "proper" bike, only cheap used bikes.

I commute to work everyday and rack up about 120 km every week. It's flat around here so, no fancy transmission is needed.

Now, I have some cash on hand and could buy new fancy bike. I'm not sure if its worth it though. A new one costs ~1000€ vs. ~150€ for a used one.

Whats your take on this topic? What's the added benefit of a fancy bike?
05-21-2018 04:27 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Clint Barton Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

RE: Buying a Bicycle
Benefits are the looks of the bike and having new everything. New bikes can be pretty expensive but worth it. I bought a nice steel frame fixed gear bike 8 years ago for around $800 and it was one of the best purchases I've ever made. I do think you can get more value in a lightly used bike, but only if you or a friend know bikes well.

(05-21-2018 04:27 AM)BoiBoi Wrote:  My bicycle broke down and now I need a new one. I never had a "proper" bike, only cheap used bikes.

I commute to work everyday and rack up about 120 km every week. It's flat around here so, no fancy transmission is needed.

Now, I have some cash on hand and could buy new fancy bike. I'm not sure if its worth it though. A new one costs ~1000€ vs. ~150€ for a used one.

Whats your take on this topic? What's the added benefit of a fancy bike?

- Clint Barton
05-21-2018 06:31 AM
Mig Picante Offline
Woodpecker

One of the drawbacks is fancy bikes can be a target for thieves and you are less likely to want to leave them in public places.
But they are nice to ride, so you might be inclined to use it more.

I bought a cyclocross bike for city riding. I'm not doing long rides, so the upright position, tougher wheels and slightly wider tires were a good fit for my style of riding over a pure road bike. I was riding up and down kerbs, across patches of grass and 'abusing' my road bike before that.

That said I just bought an entry level bike. People get carried away and overspend like it's a status symbol.
05-21-2018 06:50 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Mig Picante's post:
debeguiled, TheBMan
roberto Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

Find a decent bike second hand, like Clint says. They depreciate really fast. New will be a thief magnet as Mig mentioned.

If you want a lighter bike start by reducing rotating weight such as wheels. This is where you will notice the difference in accelaration etc. You could spend £400 on a pair of carbon fibre shifters that save 55 grams. But I personally find a better cost-benefit ratio in taking a massive dump before riding.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...
05-21-2018 07:00 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes roberto's post:
Sandstorm
RexImperator Offline
Crow
Gold Member

Folding bikes can be stored under your desk, and are allowed on subways in many cities.

Bella, horrida bella
et Thybrim multo spumantem sanguine cerno
05-21-2018 07:06 AM
sterling_archer Offline
Hummingbird

Go for aluminum frame and narrow tires to reduce weight.
05-21-2018 07:56 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like sterling_archer's post:
Sandstorm, ProGambler
gework Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

I would get a used one. For 1000 EUR you can get a used carbon bike with di2 gears (electric):

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=...5&LH_BIN=1

Di2 gears are great. I had them for about 3 years and never once had to make the slightest adjustment with the gears going out of sync. With my current bike (no Di2) the gears went out of sync in about three months and I haven't been bothered to take it to the shop to get it fixed.

Also get some Tannus solid tires so you never have to deal with punctures.

Bike with standard gears and air tires, being used at the level you are using it, you are looking at 4-6 services (2 weeks out, 10 hours of time, 150 euros) a year with probably about 5 hours + 50 euros messing about with flats.

Bike with Tannus and Di2 = no service, no down time, no flats, no cost, no hassle.

(This post was last modified: 05-21-2018 08:33 AM by gework.)
05-21-2018 08:21 AM
Sandstorm Offline
Woodpecker

It's true a nice new bike can be a thief magnet (especially a bright white one) but I think it's totally worth it.

You can even get the frame aligned to your body in some shops/bike brands.

I rode a Canondale for years and it was awesome.

Japanese gears, gears are awesome dude, so much more fun than a fixed gear! Even on flat terrain... I never had Italian gears but some swear by them.

Di2 are electronic gears right? I never got that advanced but would try it on my next bike.

And are solid tyres really better riding experience than traditional?

L:167 F:21 V:9 A:7 3S:1

"Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society"
05-21-2018 08:41 AM
nola Offline
Banned

Get this as an accessory
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2018 10:36 AM by nola.)
05-21-2018 10:06 AM
debeguiled Offline
Peacock
Gold Member

Get a loser bike.

It will get you where you want to go.

No one will steal it.

You will avoid conversations with bike nerds who if you don't already hate, you will.

People who have made biking a lifestyle are the most reckless, dangerous people on the road, and they justify it because they think bikes are good for the planet.

The prices of bikes are ridiculously inflated, and all sorts of high tech bullshit has been added to a simple form of transportation. Or to make them weigh less, but if you buy one, you will need a monster lock that invalidates using super light metal in the frame.

Seriously, the fetishization of bikes is a marketing scam. They did the same with sunglasses in the 80's. One minute sunglasses were ten bucks, the next they were a hundred bucks made from super secret shatter proof glass that could supposedly repel a bullet from a .22.

Don't believe the hype. Get a solid old school road bike, maintain it. Maybe, maybe, shell out money for tires that are flat on the surface, and have knobs on the edges so you don't have problems with cornering in the rain.

Get a loser bike.

“That sig BTW is a very asinine anti-family anti-parent quote. You live in a country where 40% of children grow up without a biological father, yet somehow “the greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents”? Sorry but this is fruity Boomer nonsense.”

05-21-2018 10:32 AM
[-] The following 7 users Like debeguiled's post:
TigerMandingo, Clint Barton, Mig Picante, thebassist, Richard Turpin, Syberpunk, nicolahcm
Clint Barton Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

I recommend a steel bike, especially if you have flat terrain like you mentioned. Also, a fixed gear bike will require less maintenance than one with gearing. Use the u lock inside the rear triangle and wheel to secure the rear wheel and frame.

- Clint Barton
05-21-2018 12:06 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Clint Barton's post:
debeguiled
gework Offline
Pelican
Gold Member

(05-21-2018 08:41 AM)Sandstorm Wrote:  Di2 are electronic gears right? I never got that advanced but would try it on my next bike.

And are solid tyres really better riding experience than traditional?

Yes, electric. They are expensive if bought new, but a worthy addition if you don't care about money or buy second hand.

I have two bikes with Tannus solid tires.

Look 795 Aerolight

[Image: Screenshot_at_2018_05_21_20_09_41.png]

On this bike the tires make it feel considerably harder. I don't like going on some downhills on this as the roads are a bit gritty where this bike is stationed. But it's really nice on smooth roads.

Some lump I bought in Serbia

[Image: DSC_6091.jpg]

Always feels really nice and very useful as I mainly use that bike for offroading in a nature reserve. I prefer it to when it had normal tires. The benefit is they are always equivalent to about 140 psi.

For bike locks, this was the best on the market (as of 2015).

[Image: 57a95f76-db87-4c3d-bb07-d99d6b42a9a7?size=784x588]

But I agree, if the bike is going to be left anywhere just get something old and used.
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2018 12:21 PM by gework.)
05-21-2018 12:19 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gework's post:
Transsimian
Clint Barton Offline
Woodpecker
Gold Member

Make sure to get a matching suit for the bike:

And be sure to park it above other bikes if you can find space on the street:

- Clint Barton
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2018 12:42 PM by Clint Barton.)
05-21-2018 12:33 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Clint Barton's post:
debeguiled, BoiBoi, Cattle Rustler
Mikestar Offline
Kingfisher

Get a used cannondale bad boy, solid, lightweight, take the cannondale sticker off if you want to attract less attention.
05-21-2018 12:55 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Mikestar's post:
debeguiled
Cation Offline
Banned

Get a used bike.

They can still be fancy, but for a fraction of the price.

[Image: Main.jpg]
05-21-2018 03:26 PM
ProGambler Offline
Banned

I got my racer 2nd hand for £1000 in cash from a bike forum member. 4 years and counting as I've never left it outside unattended. UK has a great 2nd hand bike trade scene, otherwise I'd look on Facebook groups if you're in europe.
05-21-2018 03:58 PM
Simeon_Strangelight Offline
Hawk
Gold Member

[Image: PorscheBike_01.jpg]

The opener and the jokes write themselves with a bike like that, though you will need safe parking spaces for that.
05-21-2018 04:07 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Simeon_Strangelight's post:
Clint Barton, sterling_archer
BoiBoi Offline
Kingfisher

Thx for the input so far. I've been looking at the used bike market here. There are lot of nice 2nd hand bikes in my area, but the thing is that I'm 6'4'' and hence need a pretty big frame. This makes it rather difficult. I face the same problem in bike shops, though. They hardly have bikes for big guys. I don't get it, who drops 1k on something you cannot even test drive?

Can you guys recommend me some good/ reliable bike manufactorers? Is e.g. Fuji a good brand?
05-22-2018 12:37 PM
ProGambler Offline
Banned

You'll need a 62cm racing frame. You can get some bargains on rare sizes. Fuji is decent.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mens-Road-Bik...SwJWlbA~V7

Something like this would be your classic starter racer. If you want better you can look for a highly rated frame with a Shimano groupset.
05-22-2018 09:17 PM
N°6 Offline
Ostrich

Check out police auction websites which run eBay style bidding to sell unclaimed stolen bicycles.

Make sure you get the bike serviced.

Don't spend all your energy on sex and all your money on women; they have destroyed kings. (Proverbs 31:3 GNB)
05-23-2018 12:20 AM
nola Offline
Banned

Throw in one of these
05-23-2018 06:38 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes nola's post:
Simeon_Strangelight
Alpone Offline
Woodpecker

I know a bit about this since I ride a bike to work everyday. I'm in the U.S. which doesn't have a big biking culture (outside of Portland and a handful of other cities), so this makes me a bit unique but I've also used it to my advantage in many ways.

I used to go exclusively for used, beat up mountain bikes for under $200. I saved money but the cycling experience sucked and I didn't look cool riding them. I just upgraded to a Scott Speedster - my first road bike. It's this baby: https://www.scott-sports.com/global/en/p...er-40-bike

The difference is night and day. Riding it is a joy. It's fast as hell, looks cool and motivates me to ride more. You can go to a high end bike shop and test drive bigger models. If Scott is available where you are, I definitely recommend them.
05-27-2018 10:43 PM
Easy_C Offline
Crow

Actually....

There's one HUGE detail everyone's overlooking.

If you're commuting it means your butt is gonna spend a lot of time on that seat. Should you make the boneheaded decision to buy a mountain bike your butt is going to feel like you're sitting on a piece of metal pipe for god knows how long a week.

Get a nice commuter bike with a basket and a nice, fat, cushy seat that can cruise.
05-28-2018 05:30 AM
nola Offline
Banned

A huge detail everyone one is really over looking is bicycle seats will leave you with skidmarks in your underwear even if you clean your ass with baby wipes after a good shit.
05-28-2018 10:11 AM
wi30 Offline
Ostrich
Gold Member

Anyone have experience buying used mountain bikes with fat tires and decent suspension? I live in CO and will primarily use it for trails. I'm in the suburbs so I drive everywhere. My buddy who lives in Boulder just got a good deal on CL because it only had front suspension.

New fat tire bikes with all the bells and whistles cost as much as a used Honda. I'm hoping to spend around a few hundred bucks for something that is decent and lasts.
05-28-2018 12:33 PM