Read The Forum Rules: We have a clear set of rules to keep the forum running smoothly. Click here to review them.

Semi-Pro Level Hobbies
JackinMelbourne Offline
Recovering Beta
Gold Member

Semi-Pro Level Hobbies
So I'd guess that quite a few of us have been involved with various "semi-pro" hobbies and businesses that never quite reached full potential because we aged, burnt out, ran out of steam, got injured, got "jobs", got jaded, got married and dozens of other reasons...

I'm in that boat right now... just can't seem to justify investing more time on a "hobby/business" that's fun but not really worth the time investment these days...

Has anyone else experienced this sort of scenario? What did you do?
07-13-2018 07:01 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user Likes JackinMelbourne's post:
Days of Broken Arrows
Tex Cruise Offline
Wingman

RE: Semi-Pro Level Hobbies
Years ago, when hobby/ business stopped being enjoyable and started being extra work I didn't need. I probably could have quit my day job and taken it on full time, but it would've ended eventually. I just one day said fuck this and sold off all my stock at auction. Came out in front. Still dabble occasionally (10-12 years later) but not as a serious source of income.

(01-19-2016 11:26 PM)ordinaryleastsquared Wrote:  I stand by my analysis.
07-13-2018 07:57 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Tex Cruise's post:
Days of Broken Arrows, JackinMelbourne
Days of Broken Arrows Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

I've gotten really good at both sound editing and sound design but have no degree in that area and have no idea how to market the skill. Or if anyone needs it.

But when I had my music blog, man could I do some great clean-up work on obscure old records.
07-13-2018 10:08 AM
[-] The following 5 users Like Days of Broken Arrows's post:
Architekt, debeguiled, DJ-Matt, 456, JackinMelbourne
SteezeySteve Offline
Chubby Chaser

I used to be heavily involved in a gaming scene with an irl economy associated with it that I know very well plus now I have the intellectual capacity and abality to profit off of it.

I choose not to play the game or invest time profiting off of it still but man if I had set up and been smarter as a kid I'd be good financially for my current needs.

07-13-2018 08:58 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like SteezeySteve's post:
Days of Broken Arrows, JackinMelbourne
DarkTriad Offline
True Player
Gold Member

(07-13-2018 08:58 PM)SteezeySteve Wrote:  I used to be heavily involved in a gaming scene with an irl economy associated with it that I know very well plus now I have the intellectual capacity and abality to profit off of it.

I choose not to play the game or invest time profiting off of it still but man if I had set up and been smarter as a kid I'd be good financially for my current needs.

MTG?
07-13-2018 09:15 PM
JekyllAndHyde Offline
Recovering Beta

My current sport requires time and monetary commitment.
While people would say don't shit where you eat and it was not my primary purpose, the quality of the women isn't that high.
That encourages me to commit even less.
07-14-2018 07:18 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes JekyllAndHyde's post:
JackinMelbourne
SteezeySteve Offline
Chubby Chaser

Nah RuneScape.

And Minecraft to a lesser degree. But RuneScape more so from a pure financial standpoint (bots goldfarming etc)

I stay away from video games in general these days.

(This post was last modified: 07-14-2018 02:37 PM by SteezeySteve.)
07-14-2018 02:35 PM
tonysoprano Offline
Game Denialist

(07-14-2018 02:35 PM)SteezeySteve Wrote:  Nah RuneScape.

And Minecraft to a lesser degree. But RuneScape more so from a pure financial standpoint (bots goldfarming etc)

I stay away from video games in general these days.

Hell yeah I was into that shit too back in the day. Botted gold/accounts and ran a merch clan (basically glorified scams, digital economy MLMs essentially), and lured a bit here and there.

If I could do it over again I would start a dicing clan in essentially a franchise model and take a share of the profits from each operator. RuneScape taught me a lot about business actually now that I think about it.

Unpopular opinion, but one of the best MMO's ever in my mind.
07-14-2018 10:46 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes tonysoprano's post:
True Balla
SteezeySteve Offline
Chubby Chaser

Yeah I learned a lot about life like never trust people (only scammed once and got lured once with that zamrock wine trick as a noob) and developed / discovered my love/talent for research synthesizing. I haven't played in years but could still say which osrs accounts are best for pking bossing etc because I'd just research and synthesize info instead of listening to teachers. Later I'd do the same with fitness programs.

Fitness and rs info have so much in common it's weird but yeah rs merch clans are basically multi level marketing schemes that probably match how some irl stock scams actually work.

07-15-2018 05:20 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes SteezeySteve's post:
True Balla
JackinMelbourne Offline
Recovering Beta
Gold Member

(07-13-2018 07:57 AM)Tex Cruise Wrote:  Years ago, when hobby/ business stopped being enjoyable and started being extra work I didn't need. I probably could have quit my day job and taken it on full time, but it would've ended eventually. I just one day said fuck this and sold off all my stock at auction. Came out in front. Still dabble occasionally (10-12 years later) but not as a serious source of income.

This is kind of the stage I'm at, thinking about selling up since there is considerable money tied up... but I still get enjoyment from it, always have, and it's a nice "reset" and escape from the grind. On the flip side, to push it to a fully pro level, it would involve a lifestyle that isn't sustainable long term without a huge breakthrough/payoff.

Did you have regrets about selling up the first time?
Yesterday 06:25 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Making Money]  UK Property Rental Datasheet/Semi-passive income strategy SanMiguel 31 9,179 04-15-2018 12:05 PM
Last Post: bws8118
  Weird Hobbies BlastbeatCasanova 3 983 03-07-2018 12:01 PM
Last Post: Rhyme or Reason
  How do I secure top level hotels for cheap prices? Moma 16 5,867 02-20-2018 04:01 PM
Last Post: Off The Reservation