My New Book Game Is Finally Here! After two years of hard work, I'm proud to release Game. Click here for full details.

Skype Interview
RoadKill503 Offline
Game Denialist

Skype Interview
Anyone ever had a Skype interview? Any tips?

I'm doing one for a Japanese company this afternoon. I've always rocked traditional in person interviews, but never done Skype. Never even used Skype before, actually. I've bought a decent quality webcam and headset, know what I'm going to wear, and set up my background to be clean and to also include a few items that express who I am. I'm more excited than nervous about the whole thing, but still feel a touch of anxiety over doing something new. Talking to a computer just seems strange. I welcome any insight.
09-14-2018 09:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Denzel Offline
Beta Orbiter

RE: Skype Interview
I did once some years ago. I recorded myself while answering potential questions, and watched on my computer. It helps with the voice tone and how one looks. I am glad I did it.
09-14-2018 10:17 AM
Akwesi Offline
Chubby Chaser

Test everything before the interview with a friend, to make sure there won't be technical issues.
09-14-2018 10:35 AM
Jetset Offline
True Player

Remember to make sure it looks like you're making eye contact on camera. Depending on your setup, looking at the interviewer on your screen can make you appear to be avoiding eye contact or are staring off into space.

"He always wanted to drift forever, but through the American Southwest."
09-14-2018 10:41 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jetset's post:
debeguiled
Parzival Offline
True Player

Is your japanese company job a sales job?

I've done several skype and phone interviews the last years.
Its a cheaper screening for the company. Do your preparation- what does the company do?
Why you want the job?
Why are you the right person?

General stuff. Dress nice, and check whats in your background. Also make sure that nobody disturb you or your phone rings.

We will stand tall in the sunshine
With the truth upon our side
And if we have to go alone
We'll go alone with pride

For us, these conflicts can be resolved by appeal to the deeply ingrained higher principle embodied in the law, that individuals have the right (within defined limits) to choose how to live. But this Western notion of individualism and tolerance is by no means a conception in all cultures. - Theodore Dalrymple
09-14-2018 11:09 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Parzival's post:
debeguiled
Faust Offline
Wingman

If possible use a headset microphone. Sound quality on skype calls is dodgy sometimes, and they may be sitting away from the computer, making it hard for both sides to hear.
09-14-2018 11:33 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Faust's post:
Jetset
RoadKill503 Offline
Game Denialist

Thanks for the input, guys! I've tested sound via Skype echo service, much better with a headset mic. It's not a sales job, but I will be working directly with customers. It's very similar to the job I have now so I will be dressing slightly better than I do everyday at work. Background is set, non-distracting with some attractive decor.
09-14-2018 01:26 PM
Jetset Offline
True Player

(09-14-2018 11:33 AM)Faust Wrote:  If possible use a headset microphone. Sound quality on skype calls is dodgy sometimes, and they may be sitting away from the computer, making it hard for both sides to hear.

I use a hands-free bluetooth paired to the laptop, less noticeable:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010R496J4/ref...UTF8&psc=1

[Image: 91Om-fXHXFL._AC_UL115_.jpg]

"He always wanted to drift forever, but through the American Southwest."
09-14-2018 02:59 PM
RoadKill503 Offline
Game Denialist

Follow up:

Everything went off without a hitch. I got used to the whole talking-to-a-computer thing within the first 30 seconds and it felt just like a normal conversation for the rest of the half hour. No technical issues aside from a little lag, which is to be expected. The gentlemen were very easy to talk to, no language barrier issues whatsoever. I had to conciously focus on making eye contact with the lens while speaking, but it felt natural after awhile. Should hear back from them within a week whether they decide to fly me over for an in-person interview.

Thanks for the tips, everyone. I was over thinking a tad, but any anxiety melted away once things got started.
09-14-2018 10:51 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like RoadKill503's post:
kbell, Built to Fade, Akwesi
Simeon_Strangelight Offline
Innovative Casanova
Gold Member

This is getting normal now. I know now quite a few who get hired over such interviews. It's a normal interview.
09-15-2018 04:33 PM
randomA Offline
Beta Orbiter

So OP, did you get hired?
09-20-2018 01:47 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Important interview - How to tame my inner Alpha? The Stronger Sex 12 3,751 09-23-2017 09:56 PM
Last Post: Irish
  Job Interview tips? ModernMaleficarum 23 8,543 06-05-2016 10:22 PM
Last Post: Kona
  What Should I Say About My Supervisor In My Exit Interview? puckerman 48 15,802 05-28-2016 02:38 PM
Last Post: Nineteen84