I'm Touring The United States! Starting in June, I'm conducting private events in 23 American cities. Click here for full details.

Measuring body fat?
godfather dust Away
True Player
Gold Member

Measuring body fat?
I started a diet this summer went from 283-237.

I'm interested in figuring out how much I have left to use. In getting closer.

Should I use calipers? Other methods?
09-18-2018 01:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
Ben Offline
Game Denialist

RE: Measuring body fat?
Get a slimming world fat measuring body scales. Cheap enoug and the measurements are consistant enough.
09-18-2018 02:27 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ben's post:
godfather dust
Hell_Is_Like_Newark Offline
Wingman
Gold Member

DEXA scan. I found an outfit in NJ that caters to sports health and nutrition. Cost $125. Was worth the price. Found out I was even fatter than I thought I was.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2018 06:06 AM by Hell_Is_Like_Newark.)
09-18-2018 06:06 AM
[-] The following 4 users Like Hell_Is_Like_Newark's post:
godfather dust, Built to Fade, JCIZZLE, Truth Teller
Montrose Offline
Wingman

If you go for a DEXA scan make sure the machine is correctly calibrated and the operator knows how to use it. If you are not perfectly positioned, the results may vary wildly.

https://weightology.net/the-pitfalls-of-...rt-6-dexa/

I had two DEXA scans done over 6 months. The second one showed that I had destroyed several pounds of muscle (while gaining weight overall), even though I was lifting three times a week. Unlikely but admittedly not impossible. But what’s really strange is that my left leg weighed 2 pound more than my right leg and had a different composition. My left arm was also significantly heavier than my right arm.

Considering the price, I do not recommend DEXA scan. Just look at yourself everyday in the mirror and don’t worry about bf measurement. Or just buy a body scale: they are even less reliable than DEXA but at least you can take a measure everyday for free and the errors tend to average out in the long term.

Also look at http://www.bodywhat.com it’s a fun way to estimate your bf% from a picture.
(This post was last modified: 09-18-2018 09:11 AM by Montrose.)
09-18-2018 09:05 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Montrose's post:
godfather dust, Built to Fade
Arado Online
Wingman
Gold Member

https://nakedlabs.com/

This new device popped up in an online ad awhile ago. Quite pricey at $1,395 but if it's just as accurate as a Dexa scan could be worth it if you are on a hardcore body recomposition plan.
09-18-2018 09:07 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Arado's post:
Sender, godfather dust, Built to Fade
General Stalin Offline
International Playboy
Gold Member

Hydrostatic weighing is supposed to be the most accurate. Check out this video demonstrating it:

09-18-2018 10:23 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like General Stalin's post:
godfather dust, Built to Fade, Dream Medicine
godfather dust Away
True Player
Gold Member

Cool, I'll look into all these except the $1300 option... I've spent $0 or less (saved on food, probably hidden savings like health) losing 45 pounds and I need a bunch of clothes, not worth it just to find out how much more I have to lose.
09-18-2018 01:49 PM
Hannibal Offline
True Player
Gold Member

I don't want to shit on DEXA scans or anything like that, but the best measurement for body fat is the mirror.

After that, it's a fat calipers you can get for 6 bucks off Amazon to make sure you're headed in the right direction.

Some folks distribute fat differently. I know guys who store a lot of fat around their midsection and they're ripped everywhere else, one of my buddies stores a lot of fat in his arms. It really depends.

I've used this for the last three years and it's served me well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G7...UTF8&psc=1

You don't have to buy it off Amazon either, but I just posted the link.

Other than that, this website works too.

http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html

All you need is a tape measure.

According to the website and the calipers, I'm at 15% bodyfat, which also lines up with the picture I posted. Good enough for me.

Other than that, googling the chart of bodyfat percentage will help you as well.

[Image: body-fat-photos-1.jpg]

You don't have to spend a boatload of money. If you're lean, you'll fucking know it. You don't need a machine or a $1300 test to tell you that. That money is better spend tinkering with your diet or supplements.

“I have a very simple rule when it comes to management: hire the best people from your competitors, pay them more than they were earning, and give them bonuses and incentives based on their performance. That’s how you build a first-class operation.”
― Donald J. Trump

If you want some PDF's on bodyweight exercise with little to no equipment, send me a PM and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.
(This post was last modified: 09-19-2018 11:06 PM by Hannibal.)
09-19-2018 11:04 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Hannibal's post:
Built to Fade, sterling_archer, godfather dust
sterling_archer Offline
International Playboy

US navy body fat calculator + mirror + tracking weight each day and calculating week average and watching for difference week to week.
09-20-2018 12:35 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like sterling_archer's post:
Hannibal, Built to Fade
godfather dust Away
True Player
Gold Member

(09-19-2018 11:04 PM)Hannibal Wrote:  I don't want to shit on DEXA scans or anything like that, but the best measurement for body fat is the mirror.

After that, it's a fat calipers you can get for 6 bucks off Amazon to make sure you're headed in the right direction.

Some folks distribute fat differently. I know guys who store a lot of fat around their midsection and they're ripped everywhere else, one of my buddies stores a lot of fat in his arms. It really depends.

I've used this for the last three years and it's served me well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G7...UTF8&psc=1

You don't have to buy it off Amazon either, but I just posted the link.

Other than that, this website works too.

http://www.gymgoal.com/dtool_fat.html

All you need is a tape measure.

According to the website and the calipers, I'm at 15% bodyfat, which also lines up with the picture I posted. Good enough for me.

Other than that, googling the chart of bodyfat percentage will help you as well.

[Image: body-fat-photos-1.jpg]

You don't have to spend a boatload of money. If you're lean, you'll fucking know it. You don't need a machine or a $1300 test to tell you that. That money is better spend tinkering with your diet or supplements.

Thanks for this, little under 25% I would say. I'll be happy between 15-20% going off that.
09-22-2018 06:02 PM
Rush87 Offline
True Player

Body fat measurements are largely a waste of time. You either have abs or you don't. One might read 16% and you look shredded. Another might read 9% and you have a four pack.

So long as you have a scale, you can monitor your weight and gauge off the mirror whether you are heading in the right direction.
(This post was last modified: 09-22-2018 06:23 PM by Rush87.)
09-22-2018 06:22 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rush87's post:
godfather dust