The Paperback Of Game Is Now Available! Several retailers have begun selling the physical copy of Game with free shipping. Click Here For Full Details.

Sales for pesonal development?
Luther Offline
Beta Orbiter

Sales for pesonal development?
I want to try out sales for the hell of it. I think it would be great for personal development (learning to speak better, learning to read people, master my own body language, social manipulation).
I’m a self employed carpenter so I have some experience dealing with customers. I also build and sell on speciation so I have experience selling high value items (houses) to people. Have shown houses to hundreds of prospective buyers but never took the selling part that seriously. Basically houses sell themselves.
Anyways, I want to try something fucking hard, like door to door, to test myself. Also think It’d be best to have skin in the game. Meaning that I purschase a bunch of a product which I believe in and then have to get rid of it.
Any ideas on possible products/opportunities? Sales advice?
11-28-2018 07:59 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply
The Grey Offline
Game Denialist

RE: Sales for pesonal development?
I'd advise anyone going into sales to only consider B2B and aim for enterprise sales. This is where the money is. Door to door is both hostile and not financially worth it. It's like getting rejected by a lot of ugly women for the small chance of scoring with a 6/10.

Skin in the game is not a bad thought, it forces extra effort. But it's not the way I personally would do it because you are taking on a lot of risks and it's much better selling someone else's products. Because you don't need to pay anything up front and they'll pay you.

As a carpenter, you should play on your experience and aim for some big company in the construction industry.
11-28-2018 10:00 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes The Grey's post:
Jaxon
BlastbeatCasanova Offline
Recovering Beta

“Door to door is both hostile and not financially worth it. It's like getting rejected by a lot of ugly women for the small chance of scoring with a 6/10.“

Disagree. But to succeed in D2D one must ave a have a strong work ethic and thick skin, because most people can’t cut it and quit. I did it for 5 years. Learned a ton about all kinds of things, met some awesome/crazy folks, had some wild adventures with my boys, made 5 figures in a summer and then fucked around and had the best year of my life with minimal responsibilities.

I agree however that if you want to make it out in the real world faster, B2B looks way better on a resume and to employers. That said, I wouldn’t trade my experiences and lessons learned for anything
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2018 02:38 PM by BlastbeatCasanova.)
12-04-2018 02:37 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlastbeatCasanova's post:
wi30
qwertyuiop Offline
Recovering Beta

high end b2b allows you live a pretty dope playboy lifestyle making a lot of money

it takes a few years to get there (3-5 in software), but if you're successful you'll end up as a jetset businessman making a few hundred grand a year.
12-05-2018 09:49 PM
TeachNExplore Offline
Male Feminist

Are you financially set for a while?
12-05-2018 11:02 PM
wi30 Offline
True Player
Gold Member

If you want to learn some selling skills for personal development and not money, go door-to-door. Nothing better than throwing yourself into the deep end. With your background I'd suggest finding any construction/home improvement company looking for canvassers. Roofing/siding/painting/windows/solar/fencing/landscaping/etc. all generate a majority of their leads by going door-to-door. You'll learn how one phrase or inflection can turn someone hot or cold. I can go into a lot more detail but in short you'll start to see everyday interactions differently.

Check out the inside/outside sales thread. I posted more info on this topic in there the other day.

(11-28-2018 10:00 PM)The Grey Wrote:  I'd advise anyone going into sales to only consider B2B and aim for enterprise sales. This is where the money is. Door to door is both hostile and not financially worth it. It's like getting rejected by a lot of ugly women for the small chance of scoring with a 6/10.

Skin in the game is not a bad thought, it forces extra effort. But it's not the way I personally would do it because you are taking on a lot of risks and it's much better selling someone else's products. Because you don't need to pay anything up front and they'll pay you.

As a carpenter, you should play on your experience and aim for some big company in the construction industry.

Disagree strongly. Read his post. No one in the history of man has gone into enterprise sales 'for the hell of it' to 'improve personal development' and 'try something hard to test themselves'. Complex B2B/enterprise takes years of resume building and and stepping stones to get there.

Also, I've knocked on doors and gotten $50K+ contracts signed within the hour. Stay in your lane.
12-06-2018 01:08 AM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Inside/Outside Sales Datasheet Graft 45 7,280 Yesterday 03:49 AM
Last Post: Graft
  Why is sales so hard? Vladimir Poontang 35 5,165 08-16-2018 09:17 AM
Last Post: qwertyuiop
  Road to software development - Freelancing Secret 31 4,684 07-28-2018 06:53 AM
Last Post: Apoc